Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Need help from experienced tintenters to a newbie....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Need help from experienced tintenters to a newbie....

Ok so I'm risking someone else on here being interesting and gazumping me but, interested in this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobby-570-ViP-Li...6#viTabs_0

We've got a family of 5 so expecting we'll use the awning for the overspill but...

1. Do you think £7200 is reasonable for this and will it depreciate hugely over next few years?
2. Is it big enough for a family of 5 in your opinion? (18 month old, 6 year old, 16 year old, wife, me, labrador)
3. It's our first foray in to tintenting so I'm up for any advice as it's a bit of a knee-jerk post-holiday purchase we are looking at and are thinking to buy sooner than later to get most out of what's left of August-October.

Over to you guys....

Post #114412115th Aug 2013 9:35 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

check you can get insurance for it. I know some people have had trouble , there again there will be those that say it was easy.

if you are new to it then I would advise getting something old and cheap so you can work out your exact needs, then trade up once you know exactly what you need.

we went through 2 caravans in 4 months before we finally realised exactly what was best suited to us. weve had the 3rd one now for 6 years
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #114412415th Aug 2013 9:45 am
DiscoDunc

also, how wide is it. some of the wide ones can only be towed by a commercial vehicle I think - although not too sure on that.

I would say £7k is quite cheap for a 2008.

EDIT - Exterior Width = 2.5M
 Duncan
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #114412715th Aug 2013 9:51 am
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The old adage applies .................fools rush in where angels fear to tread Whistle

I for one wouldn't recommend you do anything until you have thoroughly reviewed your options.

In terms of the Hobby - I would be somewhat careful with the lack of CRIS (despite what is being said) and the layout I feel would not suit your 'family' of 5.

As per DD - take your time, it will be worth it in the end.

For what it's worth, some 30+ years ago I was in the same position as you - I hired one for a week and we went to the Lake District. Nothing can beat the actual experience, turns out it suited us.

Steve
Thumbs Up

Post #114412815th Aug 2013 9:51 am
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

At £7500 it seems a reasonable (but no more) buy. Remember the door is on the wrong side. With young children this "might" be a risk if you stop in lay-bys. Only in the UK of course. Your location (SE London) is not far from Littlehampton. I would be down there with a damp meter and see the vendor. The impression given is that it is a genuine sale, but why is it for sale? As others have said check insurance. Go to your nearest caravan dealer and ask him/her to look at the equivalent of Glasses Guide.

Post #114413415th Aug 2013 10:01 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I had a Hobby 650 vip, great van and had no issue with insurance, , i used the coop, in regars to towing the rules were changed and can be towed by a suitable vehicle, although they are a wide van and getting it down some country roads can be a challenge,

This was my third van and being honest i wouldn't get one if i was new to tintenting, its a big van to tow and manouvere, wide and long, there can be issues where some sites dont allow them on,

As said before the door is on the opposite side, this may be a problem as you may have to put the van in nose first on some sites (which means manually pushing it in place)

If you are confident in towing etc, they are a great van with loads of room, onboard water tank and one of the comfiest beds i've slept in,

I would have another, but as said before it may be better to test out a couple first
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #114414415th Aug 2013 10:11 am
Somerset Jem

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with Dunc, check the legal towing width, I thought it was 2.3m and the Hobby is 2.5m (I think??)
I understand you wanting to get the best out of the tail end of the summer but there will be lots of caravans for sale after September and at a better price than right now.
I'm surprised at your choice of layout given your kids ages. The fixed bed is great, but when the little ones go to sleep at the lounge end just after East Enders.........what are the rest of you going to do? Alternatively, get 2 awning annexes and stick them all out there!
We have 2 girls 11 and 15 who are happy to sleep in the van, our 17 yr old (boy) would rather be outside in the awning or in a pup tent. So we went for this layout:

Works for us but I'd recommend you go to a dealers and browse round all the layouts to work out exactly what will work for you. Good luck. Thumbs Up

Post #114415515th Aug 2013 10:22 am
dubbs

The fixed double is a selfish move for me and the missus to be comfy Thumbs Up

Will take on board advice and take a trip to a caravan dealers to kick tyres around some options.

I have it in my head the Hobby will be wider and longer and therefore better than anything else so worth the hassle - not sure that's a correct assumption but there it is Smile

Post #114416215th Aug 2013 10:26 am
Somerset Jem

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My Sterling twin axle is 7.96m long external and 2.23m wide. I'm 6'1" tall and sleep comfortably across the front end double. On the rare occasion we are away without kids, we make up the rear double to save the hassle of making up beds morning and evening. Horses for courses, but I'd be more worried about the width than the length..........oooh errrr missus! Embarassed

Post #114416815th Aug 2013 10:36 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

The 2.3 m width limit was raised to 2.5 m a couple of years ago.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #114416915th Aug 2013 10:42 am
DiscoDunc

take a look at this site. it gives a good view of layouts and prices....

www.caravanfinder.co.uk
 Duncan
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #114417015th Aug 2013 10:42 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ted Newman wrote:
The 2.3 m width limit was raised to 2.5 m a couple of years ago.

This is the latest

Specific trailer restrictions

If the towing vehicle weighs 3500kg or less (Gross Vehicle Weight or GVW)

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar) 7.0m
Width Maximum 2.55m
If the towing vehicle weighs more than 3500kg GVW

Length (excluding the coupling and drawbar) 12m (min 4 wheels)
Width Maximum 2.55m
Length of towing vehicle and trailer combined 18m
Maximum overhang of load from rear of trailer 3.05m
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #114417115th Aug 2013 10:44 am
tomthumb

United Kingdom 

As allready said, go to a few dealers to have a look, new/used view them all, layouts vary as dose spec, find some thing that looks practical to your needs, then when you think you know what you want with a budget in mind go look again, but beware of any signs of damp befor you buy, a damp meter if youcan borrow or beg 1 for a day.
I drag a twin axel 6 berth, 5 up is tight at times but makes a cosy 2 up when grown up kids stay at home.

Am I right in recalling hobbys are the van of choice for some piky's, so are not allways welcome every where, or am I confusing myself again,
Any way buy-enjoy- then give it a few outings, only then will you know what suits you best.
 RRSport MY12hse but don't hold that against lill o me
Hybrid TV, cubby Fridge, Surround Camera's, Sun Roof.

Disco 3 MY05hse Sadly gone

All alone in my own little world,
But everybody knows me there, so I'm ok. 

Post #114417815th Aug 2013 11:06 am
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

I would say from our own experience that the layout of this particular Hobby is not ideally suited for your family given the age range. Fixed end bedrooms are great and I'd love one, but in my opinion just not practice for your family, unless you follow the principle of many German/Dutch families and as we also do now, that you use the van for sleeping only and that you live and eat in the awning and you can turn them into very comfortable living/dining spaces with supplementary heating and even your TV ect.
As someone says you can buy an awning annex extension for your older child and ours prefer to be out there. Our first caravan which I bought new from dealer in NL was a TEC with the door on the wrong side for many UK sites but didn't cause us too many problems and the fact that this van has a motor mover will help overcome that. If anything, I can't help but feel this price seems either too cheap for what your getting included, or your getting a real bargain. I'd be definitely wanting to go and see it before I bid on it. Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #114419415th Aug 2013 11:44 am
dubbs

Was thinking if it didn't suit that well then we could sell without too much of a loss next year and change to another once we've used it for a bit and worked out what we like.

Interesting to look at the caravan finder site and see that Swifts seem to be more expensive than the Hobby secondhand

Post #114425815th Aug 2013 2:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >