Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

A negative for General Grabber AT3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Collwyn

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I've made up my mind and ordered General Snow Grabber Plus for this winter (255/55r19).

I have a few sets of wheels so I can fit them as and when required.

At the moment I am thinking to replace my Duratracs with GG AT3's when the time comes in the summer - Either in 255/55r19's OR I have a set of 18" Terrafirma steels so maybe 265/60r18 119 load range...... when you make one decision, it just leads to more.....

Post #200926814th Dec 2018 11:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Reginald Molehusband

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Thanks LEW, I’ll Check out their 19’s.
 2016 D4 Landmark SDV6 (Euro6), Zanzibar (late run D4)
2009 D4 HSE TDV6, Bali blue (first run D4)
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE, some blue

http://www.lothian4x4response.org 

Post #200930315th Dec 2018 1:35 am
PCT3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Reginald Molehusband wrote:
You bring up some good points PCT3.

Opening up the question, what tyre pressures do you all run at when off-roading on wet grass and mud, assuming no rocks?

I usually run the car at fully loaded pressures on road, and if off-road looks challenging i’ll reduce that by 10psi.

I normally run my pressures at 30-35 psi mainly for comfort on country roads and general good grip
Recently I was commuting to Somerset for some work was running 55psi then, that also involved some light off-roading on thick mud and rock at that pressure with no problems
I very rarely lower tyre pressures for off road
The other weekend I was marshalling at a sporting car trail the terrain is very compacted with a very slippery top layer of mud,the trails cars made a very interesting surface condition, descending an access track through the woods, the disco3s problem of not liking side slopes (weight) had me sideways with only forward backward movement unable to turn back on the track, as I run BFs very strong side wall I was able to deflate to about 5psi which gave me my steering back got on track and found another track out of the valley drove to workshop and reinflated
Lowering pressures works very well but your legally obliged to run correct pressures on the road, hence why I normally never lower pressure
As my work involves proffesion off road driver training, normally my off road passenger post is in a standard vehcle with road bias’s tyres which we don’t lower pressures on but chose a route that’s drivable so unless you carry a compressor I would not lower pressures but do a course instead but not ROSPA
 Discovery 3 HSE 07
Discovery 1, Search & Rescue SE4x4 Responce
Fiat Decato motor home
Mazda MX5 

Post #200970616th Dec 2018 12:06 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I carry a compressor anyway under the rear seats of my RRS - along with jump leads, tow rope and fire extinguisher. I only use the compressor for changing pressures for in-car loads, however, such as going on holiday with a full car.

I was out today feeding pheasants and got in to some quite muddy conditions where the rear was fishtailing. Progress was maintained even with the tyres thick with mud. I think because the feeders were in a less sensitive location, I wasn't having to worry about making a mess. The location I struggled in last week was a more sensitive field margin so I tried to limit damage. Having free reign to let the vehicle run makes a big difference. Wheel spin is necessary at times, of course.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #200974216th Dec 2018 3:29 pm
Hanechdene

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have had AT3’s on for almost a year.

Have done just over 20000 miles with 10mm tyre depth on the front with 11mm on the rear.

Found that the D4 uses slightly more fuel compared to the Wranglers it came with.

As for traction they appear as good if not better than the previous versions.

So far when towing a couple of tons of logs through the woods I have not lost traction however I avoid all grass banks / hills when wet with a trailer to go up or come down. Just not worth the risk of the trailer pushing you down hill out of control or attempting to recover from a failed hill climb.

Post #200992417th Dec 2018 7:41 am
Reginald Molehusband

It's usually the fuss of changing tyre pressures vs the need to traverse a particular piece of slippery ground or find a better route. It's good to hear from you folk that drive off-road from time to time for a living, experience counts!

Post #201016217th Dec 2018 7:04 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Hanechdene wrote:
I have had AT3’s on for almost a year.

Have done just over 20000 miles with 10mm tyre depth on the front with 11mm on the rear.

Effectively no wear in 20000 miles? Really? That's pretty bloody impressive! How?
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #201016517th Dec 2018 7:06 pm
Reginald Molehusband

Hovercraft conversion ... Snigger

Post #201016617th Dec 2018 7:08 pm
Hanechdene

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Take the Censored as much as you like.

I don’t hack the vehicle around the corners and have had the geometry correctly set up. From a set of wranglers I had 32000 miles out of them with 3mm of tread left before changing to AT3.

Of course with this wear in mind, should be expected given the poster advert for these tyres which reckons at least 50,000 miles.

Post #201017517th Dec 2018 7:23 pm
Corris MacGray

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Isn't it a question of compromise?
I've always had GG ATs on since running 90s on BFG All Terrains and in the main they've been good. But surely the compromise is in the sales pitch 50% on-road, 50% off road. Given someone like me who does a fair amount of farm track and field work and then in the same day around the M25 and down the M3, doesn't that 50/50 pitch mean that half the time they'll be crap off road and half the time they'll be crap on the tarmac?
I don't believe a one size fits all is out there

CMG

Post #201019417th Dec 2018 8:09 pm
Corris MacGray

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

vanpeebles wrote:
I've gone for Pirelli ATR Plus with the three peaks mark. Hoping for good things, been good so far!

GG AT3s have the 'three peaks' symbol too Wink

Post #201019717th Dec 2018 8:14 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Hanechdene wrote:
Take the Censored as much as you like.

Not taking the Censored , I'm genuinely impressed and interested.

Pootling along will always help tyre wear - something I don't always do in my RRS as it can be quite fun to "make progress" on the right road.

My AT3s are about half worn (5-6mm left) after about 25k miles as a result I suppose.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #201019817th Dec 2018 8:15 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Corris MacGray wrote:
vanpeebles wrote:
I've gone for Pirelli ATR Plus with the three peaks mark. Hoping for good things, been good so far!

GG AT3s have the 'three peaks' symbol too Wink

Having had a couple of sets of AT3 now, I'm toying with the Pirelli AT+ just to see what they're like and how they compare.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #201020017th Dec 2018 8:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >