New Car options - what you pay and what you get

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradv...tions.html

I didnt know this is the case!
 "...I'm so broke I can't even pay attention..."  
Post #9731994th Sep 2012 1:34 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If it was my car I'd just point blank refuse to take it, regardless of case law. Where do you draaw the line, couple of options missing, few standard bits left off, wrong colour, lower spec?

Post #9732084th Sep 2012 2:06 pm
kp

United Kingdom 

Could it not be refused under the fact its not suitable for use as you'd clearly shown the use would need these options and if they are not there it wouldn't therefore be suitable.

Also its not the item you have paid for.

If they offered the money back then i'd still have argued a free service out of them as that money has likely gone in some salesmens pocket + another good chunk as they no doubt used a stocked vehicle which was discounted to get the customer into a car.. IE more money in their pocket..

Shocking behaviour and i think the dealership should be named and shamed TBH.
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #9732144th Sep 2012 2:32 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
The ruling accepts that because of the complexity of car manufacture and component supply, it is impossible for dealers to guarantee a precise specification.

Not sure if this applies to optional extras that have been paid for over and above the price of the car. The way I read this, is that if you order a car that lets say according to the specification list, comes with xeon lights, then Landrover change the spec of that car to come with halogen lights, then that ruling would apply. But if you pay for xeon lights over and above the base price of the car and it comes with halogen lights, then clearly that is not what you ordered. Shocked

Post #9732174th Sep 2012 2:43 pm
psulli16

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Missing Options

It is more likely they have just sold on a stock car. These are bulk built vehicles which are in stock all the time and the dealers push these out. It is hard to believe the factory just forgot the options. The build cards are extremely specific and they only build what is ordered.

Post #9732204th Sep 2012 3:10 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

If the option is listed on the sales receipt, then surely change would be a variation and you wouldn't have to accept it. This is even easier if the option is still listed on the sales system.

The real truth is probably they didn't order it properly.

The variation they are talking about are minor changes due to component supply, improvements etc which shouldn't be major items.

Post #9732334th Sep 2012 4:08 pm
Gt.Mooglywoogly

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

My wife got a bargain fully loaded a4tdi s-line due to the fact that the original owner had ordered bang &olufsen stereo. but Audi forgot to put it in the build, even though it was ordered. The original owner was allowed to drive the car untill the correct spec car arrived. It took two months.

The dealer told us that they had to replace the car exactly as ordered to avoid breaking the contact of sale.

I know that manufacturers can vary the build on standard models, but if options are not provided as ordered then the agreement to sell the goods as ordered by the customer has not been met.

Why did the purchaser accept the d4 without all the bits he/she had paid for?

I'm not sure that HJ has got this right this time

Neil

Post #9734404th Sep 2012 10:33 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Quote:
Johnson v HWM Ltd 17-3-1997 Kingston County Court

Allows an indefinite delivery date for a new car and also change of specification
of the car in between dealer order and manufacturer delivering the car to the dealer because both are out of control of the dealer. If a contract has been entered into between dealer and customer with a substantial deposit, then that contact remains binding and, unless specified in the original contract, an indefinite delivery date or change of specification are not breaches of contract.

Coincidently my son has been working with HWM over the last 6 months 8)
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #9734474th Sep 2012 10:43 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

not sure who HVM are... Embarassed

however the order was with optional extras and not standard spec so if manufacturer change standard spec then maybe a discussion point but I see that if I paid for option and they are not there, then that would be breach of contract just a shame the garage is at the but end of manufacturer change on spec and messing up an order.

so the law is forcing customers to accept something less than they paid for Shocked how screwed up is that

(ps I have something you need and can not live without, Only 1GBP; delivery is another 999999GBP but I may change the spec, but you wont see the difference) Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #9741076th Sep 2012 5:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Popelka wrote:
not sure who HVM are... Embarassed

http://www.hwmastonmartin.co.uk/
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #9741086th Sep 2012 6:02 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
More great Honest John advice?

Would you pay for options you didn't get? Rolling Eyes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradv...tions.html

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Merged
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #97611312th Sep 2012 12:19 am
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Think he got some staffer to answer that one. Load of b_____ks. Mind you, serves JM right for having to ask anyway.
 Andrew  
Post #97611412th Sep 2012 1:37 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Its true actually

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic83145.html
Post #97611612th Sep 2012 3:59 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not correct advice.

JM asked: "Should I refuse to pay for the options and/or insist upon free servicing or some other form of compensation?"

He has been charged for something he didn't get.
In the cse quoted as I understand it the dealer was not able to supply the car as ordered.
Each case is different and I would say if the dealer failed to put in his order correctly to LR the dealer is at fault and he could refuse the vehicle. This is different from the dealer being unable to supply what the customer ordered.
In anycase he should not have to pay for the options he was not supplied.

Basic examination mistake by HJ: Did not read the question! Question
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #97611712th Sep 2012 4:27 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well we don't actually know where the fault lies ....the case law revolves around the contract still being valid. It doesn't imply that the individual has been charged for it in fact the only money that has exchanged hands is a deposit and the suggestion Imo is that yes you won't have to pay for the options you don't have but you will have to accept the car under contract and not be entitled to any compensation.
Post #97614212th Sep 2012 8:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >