Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

new caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
allforus

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Our hobby premium is A 560cfe the longest you legally tow unless you have a gross vehicle weight of greater than 3500 kgs liked the twin axles but would rather stay legal Rolling Eyes

Post #105465913th Feb 2013 7:31 pm
subaru60

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

you must be able to tow the twin wheel one legally even the british ones are 25 ft and they are legal i rang simple ins they wouldnt insure the tabbert but have found one that will but its £600

Post #105471213th Feb 2013 8:29 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Maximum external body length (excluding the A-frame) is 7 metres, unless it's being towed with a vehicle which has a plated mass in excess of 3.5 tonnes, in which case the body length increases to 12 metres. All UK touring vans are less than 7 metres, some of the German ones aren't.

The other thing to consider with the extra width vans is rear vision. I towed a 2.5 metre wide Adria for Practical Caravan magazine last year, and the standard Milenco Grand Aero mirrors were simply not wide enough to give safe and adequate rear vision. You can get extended arms, but...... I have driven artics and coaches in the past, so size of vehicle does not concern me, but personally I wouldn't tour regularly with a wide bodied van. Not a comfortable experience.

Post #105472313th Feb 2013 8:38 pm
subaru60

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

even 1 of the twin wheel hobby is 20.5 ft body lenght 23 with the a frame and tabbert do the same in one of there models 650 i think it is so thats legal and they do a bigger one

Post #105475813th Feb 2013 9:04 pm
xyplex

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Please bear in mind that some UK Camp sites will not allow Hobby caravans on their site as the Hobby is associated with the Gypsy travellers. Shocked

Post #105483213th Feb 2013 10:48 pm
therso

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Ted Newman wrote:
I find some of the remarks amusing Very Happy

2.5 m caravans are also produced by British makers.

The construction methods are virtually the same in all European countries - certainly not plywood boxes.

And as someone who is married into a German family I can assure you that there are plenty of Germans who moan about their caravans PLUS many are envious of the design features that British Caravans display.

BUT if you really want solid build quality along with innovation of layouts plus 2.5 m wide bodies then you can not do better than Airstream - more than 70% of all Airstream built since the 1930s are still in service.

Airstreams.........v nice but I'll stick with my Eriba (as someone who lived and worked in Germany for 16 years Whistle ). Never heard any complaints from the many Germans/Dutch/Swedes/Danes though? Construction methods virtually the same? Not quite Wink

Post #105485713th Feb 2013 11:03 pm
anthony65

I can't help with the purchasing as we got our used Burstner . However, we used a German caravan, we would not buy anything other than a German later on. Good for use, resilient and fantastic value for cash.
 holiday houses gold coast
Wings Hinterland Retreat
31 Red Oak Drive Tallai QLD 4213 Australia
Phone : +61 407 037 811
wingshinterlandretreat.com
Massive Luxury Holiday Home for 21 persons. Perfect for Family Holidays or corporate getaways. 

Post #105590215th Feb 2013 7:31 pm
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

therso wrote:
Ted Newman wrote:
I find some of the remarks amusing Very Happy

2.5 m caravans are also produced by British makers.

The construction methods are virtually the same in all European countries - certainly not plywood boxes.

And as someone who is married into a German family I can assure you that there are plenty of Germans who moan about their caravans PLUS many are envious of the design features that British Caravans display.

BUT if you really want solid build quality along with innovation of layouts plus 2.5 m wide bodies then you can not do better than Airstream - more than 70% of all Airstream built since the 1930s are still in service.

Airstreams.........v nice but I'll stick with my Eriba (as someone who lived and worked in Germany for 16 years Whistle ). Never heard any complaints from the many Germans/Dutch/Swedes/Danes though? Construction methods virtually the same? Not quite Wink

And I have lived and worked (on and off) in Germany for 58 years so I too have some knowledge of what the Germans do and say Rolling Eyes
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #105600215th Feb 2013 9:15 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

As a caravanner for 15 years my comments would be

A german style van like Hobby or Fendt or Tabbert is a Censored magnet

Usually the door is on thereverse side of the UK vans so you end up nosefirst in the UK Pitches so your awning is on the prescribed side

I do love the foreign vans, and believe the quality supercedes UK vans on the main but for me I am more fit in with mainstream and tow a nice twin axle fleetwood
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #105607915th Feb 2013 10:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >