DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

My New D3 "Betty"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Aldiscomonkey

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
My New D3 "Betty"

Hi folks,

fairly recently got myself an 07 HSE, black with black leather. Done a fair bit of research so knew what i was letting myself in for! I wont go into all the details here, ill post other relevant threads etc but ill post a quick overview of her journey to date.

But firstly, id like to say,what a good forum! I also have an Audi S2, and spend alot of time on the s2forum, which tbh becomes like a second home, we all help each other out, share parts, technical help, spanner time etc and then you end up on other forum which are full of politics, keyboard warriors, idiots with no real experience etc. So it was a relief to find disco3 was like my other forum! Thank you again folks.

So, Black Betty........ well she got a fresh MOT for me buying her (private) so a half decent start i thought. Not long after owning her, no brakes....that'll be oil in the servo then! argued, and argued and spent money with LR dealership for them to "officially" diagnosis oil in servo, more arguing and ebevtually, nothing. So ive replaced the servo, and associated pipe work.

Not long after that, clunk and a rumble.... that'll be the centre bearing away then....... new propshaft installed.

Give it a few more days....... from end sinks over night, thatll be a front cross over valve i reckon, replaced, but now shes struggling to raise. My guess is that the goosed valve had stressed the compressor and a its struggling. Go to replace compressor, and its just sitting in its box, not actually attached to the chassis! Obvioulsy not helping! Replaced, all good, but front seems to sit a little low and the ride quality is not SOOO hard and bumpy! Ill post this problem in suspension.

Next.......... on the motorway, you get about 20miles before a shudder starts, sometimes mild, sometime horrendous. Not sure if this is the problem, but appears theres a sticking front passenger caliper, the disc looks well cooked and im presuming warped as well.

And then theres the whine, not ridiculous, but a constant whine, im gonna say diff. Oil from the diff didn't have any special glitter but was very burnt looking, smelling. Ill post this problem in transmission.

Let me think, anything else...? Think ive enough on my plate for now!

In between the essential maintenance, ive de-tangoed her, colour coded mirrors and door handles, a new D4 style all black grill, smoked indicators, LED fog lights, painted the interior facia plastics, new stero knobs, added bluetooth.........

Oh and a set of 20" horseshoe style alloys done in gunmetal grey. Have to decide on new rubber for her...

And today she got her first full service, always good to freshen her up and learn all the nooks and crannies!

Based in Armadale, central Scotland, always happy to help if i can with spannering or an extra set of hands etc so just shout if i can be of assistance.

Cheers

Al

Post #198611524th Sep 2018 7:11 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I just skim read the above, looking or “oil pump”, didn’t see it. If not the newer type it needs changed ASAP as the early EURO4 ones have a habit of shearing off and taking the engine with it.

PS Welcome to the madhouse. Thumbs Up

Post #198611924th Sep 2018 7:14 pm
Aldiscomonkey

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ta fella, ill add it to the list!

Post #198612124th Sep 2018 7:15 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Bear in mind I’m a resident non techie but it’s a must fix, urgently. The newer ones have cured the weakness but often aren’t changed until it’s too late. Have a search on oil pump failures. Thumbs Up

Post #198612324th Sep 2018 7:19 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Drive one, strip one, fix one, diagnose one... wasn’t it? Whistle

Post #198613624th Sep 2018 7:57 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Drive 4 if I’m going to be pedantic. Whistle Just not at once. Thumbs Up

Only killed/stripped one. So far. Laughing

Post #198613724th Sep 2018 7:59 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Breaking Censored and tearing things apart actually makes one quite an expert. There is a saying “a good consultant made all his mistakes somewhere else”.

Post #198613924th Sep 2018 8:02 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I hopefully won’t become any more of an expert. Whistle Whistle Heading to Poland on Saturday, hopefully I’ll bribg the car back in one piece. Whistle

Post #198614324th Sep 2018 8:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >