Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

New Key
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
detritus22

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
New Key

Well our Discovery 3 is still in the garage at "Gibson's" of Cumnock and we haven't heard anything yet so hopefully (fingers and everything else crossed) no news is good news and it's all going well.

So in the meantime thought I would go about seeing how much a new key would cost us since we only got one with the car.

Thought i would have a laugh and contact our local Land Rover dealer and get them to quote me a price, they came back with "Key cut £150+VAT and programming is £65+VAT" so £258 for a new Censored key, talk about daylight robbery.

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative ? I know I can get a blank key with the pcb inside it for £60 from Ebay but not sure what kind of quality it would be and then would still need to get it programmed.

Also is it only the IId tool that can reprogram the keys or is it any garage diagnostic tool that can do the job ?

So just looking for people's suggestions or experiences in getting a new key cut.

Post #187292227th Oct 2017 2:45 pm
Asa

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
new key

I sourced a new blank key and Fob via Ebay that had not been programmed. I just bought a key rather naively but luckily it was suitable.

When it arrived it had 433hz markings (Canadian Market?)and a blank blade all for £35. Uk is I think 233hz? This is the remote frequency, I have no idea where this may have originated but it was a UK seller.

Local locksmith charged £60 for new blank cut to Land Rover original engineering dimensions under licence and reprogrammed the frequency, fitted and tested. A new programable key from him was about £90? No more than that from what I remember.

You need proof of ownership and proof of I D, (Driving Licence) and vehicle has to be on site!

This type of Locksmith is normally supplying the local trade so ask a local used car dealer who they use.

Here in Colchester the guy is just a normal Locksmith but offers this enhanced service.

Post #187293527th Oct 2017 4:00 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi asa

it’s the other way round, uk is 433mhz Whistle

i also bought mine off ebay , locksmith charged £10 to cut but then programmed the fob myself with the iid

is outrageous what landrover want for a new keyfob

Post #187293627th Oct 2017 4:08 pm
Asa

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
new key

Hi Stuart

thanks for that!

I always wanted a D3 when they were launched and bought the best I could afford last year. I am still learning about this cracking piece of engineering.

thanks again mate

Post #187293727th Oct 2017 4:14 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi asa

no worries , i found out the hard way by ordering the wrong mhz Big Cry

also a fairly new owner, last weekend i’ve had my D3 a year , been going through it with a fine tooth comb

best thing was converting the front seats to electric , am slowly getting through the “ the to do list “ Whistle

upgraded from a freelander td4 and must admit really do like the D3 , awesome bit of kit

Post #187294427th Oct 2017 4:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >