New member in Oz + Suspension failures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jonno

United Kingdom 
New member in Oz + Suspension failures

Hi All,

I just joined the forum this morning and thought I'd say hello Very Happy

We've just emmigrated to Oz (from the UK) and one of the first things to sort out was a car. After a few test drives in Pajero's, Lancruisers, Patrol's and the Discovery 3, we put in an order for a Disco 3 TDV6 SE. It is by far the better car to drive, better specced and from my half hour off-road blat through sand, mud and deep ruts (yes.. during the test drive !) seems to be fantastic off road as well.

I have one reservation though, which is nagging at me since I found this forum and read some of the discussions regarding the suspension failures...

During the test drive in a TDV6 HSE demonstrator, the dashboard lit up with "suspension failure" after travelling about a mile from the dealership. The salesman said he'd "never seen that error before" and they've been selling Disco 3's over here since April '05. Once the message came up, the car refused to raise or lower, so it was back to the dealers to swap it for another one.

Here's my dilema... As a fairly experienced off-roader, we will be using the car to venture into the outback a good few times a year so reliability is important in our car choice. So, having experienced a "suspension" failure after less than 5 minutes behind the wheel and now reading more about it. I'm left wondering if I've made the right choice?

Just how prolific are these suspension failures, and does anyone know if they've sorted it out on the newer build cars? Ours was already ordered (but with no buyer IYSWIM) and on a boat to Oz for delivery at the end of this month (August), so I suppose it was built some time in June / July '05.

Thanks in advance,

Jonno
Post #1231516th Aug 2005 5:11 am
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Gotta love the sales talk "never seen that error."
Yeah whatever!
The guy that cleans the toilets at my dealer knows that Disco3s have suspension faults.
People have had suspension faults, me included, but so far no one that I know of has had one occur off road that crippled the truck.
Id say don't worry about it and have fun!
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #1231616th Aug 2005 5:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rich

New Zealand 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

My dealer here in NZ says the suspension compressor on my April 05 built TDV6 comes up as obsolete..... he says that means that it has been superceded... so does that tell you anything.....

PS Someone told me that Aussi car dealers came from cockney car dealer breeding stock!!!! Ha
 Near enough 40 degrees South!!!  
Post #1232316th Aug 2005 12:00 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've had my D3 for almost 4 months now and had plenty of off-road time in it in the 9,500km I've done in it.

On the weekend I experienced my first "suspension error" but I think it was more my fault for trying to change to off-road height when trying to cross a culvert. I just stopped the D3 turned it off and the restarted it and the error cleared. No further problems since.

If your really worried about suspension failure (as opposed to suspension errors) then go for a "S" and get steel springs.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1232716th Aug 2005 1:23 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Also have your dealer check the suspension ECU connections (mine were loose) and also ensure you have the latest software. Both these rid my car of suspension errors.

Now just getting false Low Coolant Level error.

Cheers,

-s

Post #1233316th Aug 2005 1:59 pm
Jonno

United Kingdom 

rich wrote:

PS Someone told me that Aussi car dealers came from cockney car dealer breeding stock!!!! Ha

Laughing Laughing ---> I couldn't believe the way things work in Oz, certainly in WA. Things like dealers not writing down the price of a car and blankly refusing to give you a price list! It's all a bit cloak and dagger.

I think I drove a hard bargain and got a good deal by casually playing Solitaire on my IPAQ while they left me to stew (i.e. salesman "going to see his boss" - read as having a cigarette break) and then right at the end of the negotiations, getting up to walkout - always works wonders!

Can't wait to get my D3 .... only a couple of weeks now.
Post #1309319th Aug 2005 3:59 am
Jonno

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the rest of the advice Guys, much appreciated! Smile

Jonno
Post #1309419th Aug 2005 4:01 am
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Jonno wrote:

I think I drove a hard bargain and got a good deal by casually playing Solitaire on my IPAQ while they left me to stew (i.e. salesman "going to see his boss" - read as having a cigarette break) and then right at the end of the negotiations, getting up to walkout - always works wonders!

Classic. absolutely classic.

You are one of 'us.' Stay in touch.
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #1309619th Aug 2005 4:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

freeflytim wrote:
Jonno wrote:

Classic. absolutely classic.

You are one of 'us.' Stay in touch.

Once I played off one dealer with another on the cell phone while at the dealer. That's even better than walking out because you know you can then get the best deal with one of them.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1312519th Aug 2005 12:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >