Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Some New Owner Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SuperNaut

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Some New Owner Questions

I have a few observations and questions about my new D3. Forgive me if these have been covered, I've already done many searches on this site and most of my questions have been answered, these are just the leftovers.

1. I get a little "hopping" in the suspension sometimes when I first start out in the morning. If I raise to off-road height then let the D3 automatically adjust back down it will stop the "hop." Anyone else notice this?

2. I've noticed better mileage with the DSC off, not dramatic, just a couple more miles to the gallon. My theory is that the automatic braking adjustments affect fuel consumption. Anyone else notice this?

3. I've got a bit of a lag (1 Mississippi 2 Miss--- or so?) from full stop to noticeable acceleration. Is this normal, and does the new software address this?

4. I've noticed that the sun visors don't flip all the way to the window, they kind of just hang there awkwardly. Not a big deal, just sayin'.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm ripping on the D3. I keep telling my friends that the D3 is like off-roading in a limo, I love the damn thing. Plus, yesterday I loaded 20 bags of bark, groceries, electrical supplies, a flat of plants, takeout lunch, toolbox, my wife, and a shload of miscellaneous; the D3 didn't even notice.

Post #6114830th May 2006 3:58 pm
SN

Dunno about 1 and 2 but for issue #3 - the latest patches will make that a lot better.

Can't say I ever noticed number 4.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6115830th May 2006 4:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Q4, no problem, held against window when down & spring back up OK.

Derek

Post #6115930th May 2006 5:21 pm
SuperNaut

I didn't describe Q4 very well.

When you flip down the visor and then rotate it over to cover the side window, (not the windshield) it doesn't go all the way over and it kind of tilts downward at an odd angle.

Post #6116830th May 2006 6:10 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

1. Can you describe the "hopping". Do you mean that it takes a while to settle to level ? If you raise to off road height and then let it bong and go to normal height when you drive off, you have effectively levelled the car yourself. It would check its sensors when adjusting back down.

The D3 will also adjust itself when you pull up at traffic lights a bit sharpish.. ie it adjusts for the nose dive you just did and this takes a bit of getting used to... the D3 moving up or down on its own.

2. mmm not sure how the DSC would affect MPG at all. This only cuts in of your about to fall off the road Wink Cruise Control will use slightly more fuel. It would compensate for speed far more than you would yourself. Noticed on mine that it does. You also can keep the car at the ideal rev range with slight throttle adjustments.. Cruise Control only adjusts for speed.

3. WDS 13 Patch 2 fixes a lazy turbo issue and reduces the turbo lag. Mine feels like a new car and pull when requested - turbo lag is only very slight now.

4. As far as I can remember the sun visors work like they do on most cars. Seem Ok to me. Maybe your are a little looser ?

cheers

Post #6116930th May 2006 6:10 pm
SuperNaut

simon wrote:
1. Can you describe the "hopping". Do you mean that it takes a while to settle to level ? If you raise to off road height and then let it bong and go to normal height when you drive off, you have effectively levelled the car yourself. It would check its sensors when adjusting back down.

Sure, when I first drive off it feels like one of the wheels is out of balance. You can feel it bouncing a little. I'm sure you've lost a balance weight before; it feels like that. Once I've adjusted up and then let the car "bong" and then go to normal height, it goes away.

Quote:
2. mmm not sure how the DSC would affect MPG at all. This only cuts in of your about to fall off the road Wink Cruise Control will use slightly more fuel. It would compensate for speed far more than you would yourself. Noticed on mine that it does. You also can keep the car at the ideal rev range with slight throttle adjustments.. Cruise Control only adjusts for speed.

I was curious about this too, since when on the freeway, you aren't utilizing the DSC much, if at all. You're right, it might be something else...

Quote:
3. WDS 13 Patch 2 fixes a lazy turbo issue and reduces the turbo lag. Mine feels like a new car and pull when requested - turbo lag is only very slight now.

Cool, I'm all over that.

Quote:
4. As far as I can remember the sun visors work like they do on most cars. Seem Ok to me. Maybe your are a little looser ?

See previous clarification post, I think I was less than clear. Confused

Thank you for the replies so far everybody!

Post #6117130th May 2006 6:16 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

With reference to number 1 ..can you clarify that you are going from access mode to normal mode.

If so then if you switch to normal mode just after you set off the motor does 'bounce' a little because it is effectively sat on flat bags , like a car without springs - this goes away once the suspension has reached normal height. I'm sure I read about this somewhere too in relation to locking in access mode and hopping being normal.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6117430th May 2006 6:28 pm
SuperNaut

dickgriff wrote:
With reference to number 1 ..can you clarify that you are going from access mode to normal mode.

If so then if you switch to normal mode just after you set off the motor does 'bounce' a little because it is effectively sat on flat bags , like a car without springs - this goes away once the suspension has reached normal height. I'm sure I read about this somewhere too in relation to locking in access mode and hopping being normal.

I'm not in Access Mode, I'm in Normal Mode. If I then go from Normal Mode to Off-Road Mode and then drive faster than that mode allows, I'll get a warning "bong" and then the D3 will adjust back to Normal Mode. Once this adjustment has occurred, the hopping/bouncing goes away.

It only does this after sitting all night, perhaps I have a slow leak and the D3 is effectively in Access Mode despite showing Normal Mode?

Post #6118030th May 2006 6:40 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Is your car parked on a slope overnight?
My drive has a 2 way slope and my theory is that as we know the car tries to level itself when it "awakens" every so often and so some of the suspension may be slightly down in the morning.
Both of my D3's have felt slightly bouncy for the first few seconds in the mornings.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #6118130th May 2006 6:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

I would check the distances between the top of your tyre and the bottom edge of the wheel arch for all wheels, when you park up and again in the morning. If possible park up on level ground.

I think DG was on the right track... does sound like your driving off effectively in access height (and this is bouncy !). Maybe a leak in the system somewhere. Selecting Off Road Height will of course put air into the system and stop the bump stop bounces.

Also just double check that the Height Selector's lit marker is at normal height (its easy to catch by mistake), also note what is says in the Message Centre when you switch off. Should say Normal Height Selected before the displays goes dead.

Good luck

-s

PS Am I really helping American's Wink Must be slipping.

Post #6120130th May 2006 8:47 pm
simon

Oh and on the Freeway DSC should not be cutting in at all !

Unless you get a bong and you see the warning triangle appear on the dash, DSC is just in listening mode and not being activated.

Mind you, if your roads are as crap as ours over here you may well be driving on the limits of traction even on a long straight Wink

Post #6120330th May 2006 8:52 pm
SuperNaut

I'll keep troubleshooting on the "bounce" issue.

I realized that on my last trip to Tahoe I drove a lot of curvy mountain roads, so that may have had DSC working overtime and affecting fuel consumption.

I've scheduled a software update for tomorrow for the acceleration lag.

The visors I think I'll just fiddle with, bet I can find a way to make 'em work like I want.

Thanks for the tips folks!

Post #6121630th May 2006 10:49 pm
simon

Let us know what you think of the latest engine management software - assuming you have not had patch 2 installed already of course. The manual 'box really shows the effect well. Auto would hide it somewhat.

-s

Post #6121830th May 2006 10:54 pm
SuperNaut

simon wrote:
Let us know what you think of the latest engine management software - assuming you have not had patch 2 installed already of course. The manual 'box really shows the effect well. Auto would hide it somewhat.

-s

Will do! I had to cajole the service dude somewhat, he said he wouldn't update the software unless I was showing a fault. I told him the throttle hesitation seemed a little dangerous and he immediately changed his tune... Wink

Post #6122530th May 2006 11:52 pm
simon

mmm one thing I realised last night was...

The patch 2 relates to the TDV6 and not the 4.4V8 or V6 which I assume your driving over there Embarassed

Then again, there may be updates in the latest WDS releases that will help you out.

sorry 'bout that

-s

Post #6125031st May 2006 8:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >