Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

New Sat Nav with DAB, AA, CarPlay, GPS, BT, R/Camera etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Gram-br

Brazil 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Accompanying the topic to follow other's experiences...

Just placed my order for a 4 GB RAM / 64 GB ROM version of this unit, US$ 230 + US$ 40 shipping to Brazil off Ali Express, not got too much to loose.

From what I see installation instructions are dubious, so if anyone has any tips on overcoming installation problems please share them here (for the electrically impaired like me).

Post #225447330th Sep 2021 3:45 pm
dvans

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

@Warninglight I've just received mine. To get it working all I had to do was connect the new harness in via the existing plug at the back of the stereo, then turn ignition on. The larger of the two additional white plugs on the power harness goes into the small canbus box, and the smaller one goes into the bottom right of the set of white sockets on the back of the unit.

You do not need to plug the yellow B+12v cable in anywhere as the permanent power is coming from the stereo loom. I wanted the unit to work without the ignition on so I have connected the ACC wire to the infotainment power. If you had the original sat nav unit installed it's easy to find this on the old sat nav plug with a multimeter. The only downside is if the unit crashes and you want to restart it you need to turn engine off and wait for infotainment circuit to switch off, but I'm happy with that.

I haven't got the steering wheel buttons or Car Info working yet and am waiting for a response from the supplier. It does detect the car going into reverse and my next job is to wire up the reverse camera.

@Gram-br If it is the same xonrich unit as @Scwede originally posted then it is reasonably straightforward. There's no instructions but there is a pin guide for all the connectors - just double check what you are connecting against that.

I followed @discoBuzz's guide at https://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/...n_v1_2.pdf for gettings access in.

For me, the steps were:

1) Pull the centre console and remove cooler cubby. In the guide this is done to access either the front or rear cigarette lighter sockets for power, but I only did this so I could run one of the USB cables to the cubby (you get main power from the stereo loom)
2) Pull the H panel
3) Remove old sat nav unit
4) Unscrew centre switches and move out of the way
5) Unscrew the stereo to get access to the back. Remove the main power loom connector and plug it into the new harness, then plug the other end of the harness back into the stereo and screw stereo back in
6) I ran one USB down through the centre console and behind the coolbox so it sits just under the lid. The other USB and the SIM card holder I ran into the lower glovebox. For the sound I cut the stereo jack off, crimped on 3 thin spade connectors and pushed them into the connector in the passenger footwell (as per @discoBuzz's guide).

Things I needed in addition to the kit:

1) Clips for the H panel - part no FYC500040 (I broke one removing the panel)
2) Thin spade connectors - I used 3 to connect the stereo to the AUX cabling, and one to connect the ACC wire to the old sat nav plug.

So far very impressed. Apple CarPlay just works as soon as you plug an iPhone in. I didn't go for the Android Auto dongle option so I'm using the Headunit Reloaded Emulator app. I have to manually connect it each time so if I can't find a way to automate it I might get a dongle later, but it works fine for me for now. It's just a couple of taps on the screen once the phone is connected to USB, and there's an option to connect wirelessly.

The default home screen launcher isn't great. I'm trying out Agama launcher just now which is much nicer.

Post #225454130th Sep 2021 11:13 pm
Warninglight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the above info - I got it all wired in and working a few weeks ago.

By working, I mean it turns on, connects to my phone, and plays over Bluetooth.

I'm having trouble getting the rest to work mind.

GPS aerial is fitted - but it seems to think it's still stuck in China
DAB aerial is fitted - can't find an app to work with it.

I've read about other better launchers being installed, is that a simple thing to do?

When I plug my (Android) phone in via USB it seems to connect and disconnect every few seconds, so can't use any Android Auto features.

I do intend to fit a reversing camera, but want to get the bits I have installed working, first.

Post #225900227th Oct 2021 10:17 pm
Gram-br

Repeating the thanks for the guidance provided. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

My unit arrived in Brazil, 3 weeks shipping from China, not too bad. Unfortunately I wrote off my D3 two weeks ago, so I won’t be able to install the unit in anything until the insurance $ arrives and “Gloria” is replaced .... with another D3, obviously.

A question for the knowledgeable …. could I power the unit up outside of the car, or does it need some signal/loop to be present from the existing sound system? I have tried supplying +14v / ground to the +12 and ground wires in the unit's harness, but get no response from the unit.

Didn’t play around too much in case I foobarred the unit.

Post #225918028th Oct 2021 8:25 pm
dvans

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

@Warninglight Not sure about the GPS - mine's working fine and didn't have to set anything. I did try a DAB app but got nothing, need to take another look at it.

Changing launcher is simple. Install the launcher from Play Store as you would any other app (I just connect the head unit to hotspot on my phone), then you'll be asked if you want to set it as your home launcher the next time you go Home. If you want to change it back, just go into Settings -> Apps -> Default App and change the Home app.

@Gram-br Sorry to hear about your D3 - hope it's replaced soon. The unit should power up without the harness connected, you just need to also pass 12v to the ACC wire as well connecting the +12 and gnd wires.

Post #225968031st Oct 2021 8:09 pm
Gram-br

Well, finally got my crashed D3 replaced with another D3, installed the multimedia unit, fired it up, worked for 2 minutes then died. Checked the wiring, seems OK, but no sign of life from the unit.

Contacted the seller, who promised to get back to me with return instructions, but never did, no longer replies to emails or messages.

Lesson learned .... at least it was cheap. Confused
 MY05 Disco 3 4.4 V8 HSE .... insurance write-off
Replaced with MY08 Disco 3 4.0 V6 base model
'98 Toyota Hilux SW4 V6 for playing in the mud
'03 Brazilian Nissan XTerra Diesel ... my overland car, sold
+ countless others 

Post #226276517th Nov 2021 4:12 pm
Mahtats

United Kingdom 

Any more feedback on this unit. Not keen on spending £565 for the UK solution

Post #228025222nd Feb 2022 2:51 pm
tonga69

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Radio

When installing the radio, do you need a radio harness or adapter to connect to the radio? TIA

Post #23171582nd Dec 2022 5:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >