Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

New type of vibrations...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Edfors

Sweden 

Is the vibrations still at the same speed 100-120 kph?

What about if you drive up to say 130 kph, select neutral and let the car roll down to say 90. Is the vibrations then also present in the same speeds when rolling?

Can it be determined if the vibrations are from the engine/gearbox/transferbox by driving or rolling?

What about when in low gear? On a quiet country road, can you select low gear and drive off to see if the vibrations are present there as well, and if so, at which speeds?

Post #108952217th Apr 2013 12:55 pm
RobertI

Sweden 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The vibrations are still around 100-120 kph no matter if the car is rolling or if the gear box is in Drive mode.

I tested the thing with low gear up to 50 kph and no vibrations occurred at all.

I need to say that the vibrations are intermittent but no obvious circumstances are identified. So it comes and goes but are mostly there.

LR think it is the new tires as Disco 4´s are very sensitive for any rubber and mounting faults. They now recommend special balance (under physical pressure). This kind of balance costs almost 6000 SEK ( ~600 £). I don´t believe this is a tyre fault as we have previously tested to use three different sets of wheels without any improvement at all.
 Discovery 4 SDV6, SE, 2010
Defender 90 S, 2009
Jaguar XF 3.0 DS, 2011 

Post #108963217th Apr 2013 6:49 pm
RobertI

The vibrations are still around 100-120 kph no matter if the car is rolling or if the gear box is in Drive mode.

I tested the thing with low gear up to 50 kph and no vibrations occurred at all.

I need to say that the vibrations are intermittent but no obvious circumstances are identified. So it comes and goes but are mostly there.

LR think it is the new tires as Disco 4´s are very sensitive for any rubber and mounting faults. They now recommend special balance (under physical pressure). This kind of balance costs almost 6000 SEK ( ~600 £). I don´t believe this is a tyre fault as we have previously tested to use three different sets of wheels without any improvement at all.
Defender 90 S, 2009
Jaguar XF 3.0 DS, 2011 

Post #108963517th Apr 2013 6:51 pm
Edfors

Sweden 

I don't think a re-balance of the wheels with road load balancing will give much improvement. That's more for really fine vibrations. As you wrote you've already tried with different sets and no difference. But you don't know until you tried of course.

Is it possibly to get a list of all you know are changed/replaced during the last couple of years? Do you have documentation/workshop bills that show this? Can it be printed out from a authorized dealer from the the vehicle VIN? I would think it's good to read through an list as complete as possible and maybe there are some component that have been overlooked.

Post #109056119th Apr 2013 11:47 am
RobertI

Now the wheels have been balanced with a special ground balancing machine. The problem with the vibrations are now less. LR announces that this is a known problem that they can not solve completely on all affected vehicles.

However, it seems the car is very sensitive to bumps on the road. At the slightest flaw on the road, for example when driving over white raised markings, the steering wheel begins to vibrate for several seconds. Normal or not, it seems I simply have to live with some of the shortcomings.
Defender 90 S, 2009
Jaguar XF 3.0 DS, 2011 

Post #109526727th Apr 2013 10:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >