Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

New Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
drguy

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
New Tyres

Wife had puncture fixed today only to be told she requires 4 new tyres--- back ones worn on inner aspect,front ones as you woud expect on outer edge. Contacted LR dealer and told this is within expected limits as it is " a heavy car you know!" Is the car too heavy or are the tyres supplied not up to the job Evil or Very Mad Your experiences please gentlemen and gentlewomen Cheers Guy

Post #685356th Jul 2006 2:36 pm
catweasel

dont know about the weight issue but tyres should wear evenly across the face. sounds like the alignment's out

Post #685386th Jul 2006 2:41 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Couple of weeks ago collected set of 18" wheels with 255/60 R18 Goodyears that had done 25k miles. Previous owner of wheels was sure they were original on his 54 reg D3 S, he'd had them for the last 15k miles with no change. One pair set still has 5mm tread accross whole tyre, other pair is down to 2mm with the inside of wheel 1mm. Just to show that the tyres can do the distance with tread wearing reasoably evenly.

Derek

Post #685466th Jul 2006 2:53 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Related......This week's AutoExpress magazine has an interesting article about the minimum tyre tread depth. Although only 1.6mm in the UK, they say it should be 3mm. They did tests and braking on a wet motorway it took 40 metres long to stop on 1.6mm tread as it did with 3mm tread. Put in other words...when the 3mm tread tyres stopped, the 1.6mm tyres were still doing 50mph!!!
Scary stuff.
 Matt  
Post #685956th Jul 2006 4:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
threefive

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I replaced my 4 tyres with 45,000 kms on them. 3 with very heavy wear on insides. Front left heavy wear on the outside. one was down to the canvas. at least 3mm on the other side of the tyres. At €260 per tyre I will be keeping a lot closer look at the tracking.
 '05 Silver Commercial S+ gone but never forgotten
'08 Black XS
iid BT 

Post #685966th Jul 2006 4:49 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Tracking is only part of this - most of the uneven tyre wear symptoms are caused by out of adjustment camber settings, which need to be adjusted alongside a ride height calibration.

Post #686256th Jul 2006 5:39 pm
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

How m any miles have you done?
 2006 TDV6 S Auto, Buckingham Blue, for the wife and kids.
2013 BMW 535d M sport touring. 

Post #686456th Jul 2006 6:32 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would tell the daeler you want some compensation for the tire wear. there is a known problem with the wheel alignment being out from factory. Had mine done under warranty but will only do it if customer complains.
Was you steering wheel centred properly? this is one sign.
Make a lot of noise and see what they do.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #687637th Jul 2006 12:33 am
threefive

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I spoke to dealer about wear. reckoned I did well on wear with alot of people changing tyres earlier. Dealer said Landrover will only compensate for uneven wear in the first 1500 miles. My main worry was not having a choice of tyre fitted as only continentals available for immediate fitting.

So far standard tyres have not let me down off road but I would have preferred to fit an AT tyre if one was available for fitting to 17" alloys. Canvas showing and MOT test booked I could not wait.
 '05 Silver Commercial S+ gone but never forgotten
'08 Black XS
iid BT 

Post #6954610th Jul 2006 9:16 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The rear tyres are worn on inner edge and front on outer this is uneventyre wear especially the rears. The rear wheels have been out of alignment, it is a known issue, ask dealer to put your case to landrover you should get some compensation for premature tyre wear. Also they should do a wheel alignment to factory spec under warranty.
18'' wheels; tyre are hard to come by at the moment but more manufacturers are starting to produce them. Coopers are making some but not here in oz yet. check with your local coopers dealer.
anyone else on the forum know of other options.
standard tyres wear fast and have week sidewalls (stuffed one of mine on a kerb whilst parking!)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6955910th Jul 2006 11:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >