Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

New use for low range on the m25
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Taken from RoSPA Site. http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/dri...rboxes.htm

"When stationary in traffic, even for many minutes, it is not necessary to move the gear lever into neutral because the torque converter absorbs the engine’s propulsion force but does not transmit it all to the gearbox. No wear is taking place. In fact, more wear will take place if you engage neutral then engage a drive gear when it is possible to move off. Most gearboxes will automatically select first gear when the vehicle becomes stationary".

I also apply the handbrake and only take my foot off the foot brake when another vehicle has pulled up behind me.

I'm not saying that RoSPA are the absolute oracle on all things, but as an ex police driver I was always taught this, and as an engineer can understand the theory behind it.
This only applies to auto's though!
Sitting at the lights in a manual in gear will cause uneccessary wear on the cluch as I'm sure everyone knows!

Here endeth the semon according to discodad! Laughing

Back in the game!  
Post #13235722nd Feb 2007 9:24 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

errrr... so where does this torque go then? at best, it'll increase your fuel consumption - sorry, can't agree with RoSPA on that at all! increasing the pressure & temperature of fluid drive systems will cause increased wear eventually - and holding all the torque not dumped by the pressure relief valves on the brakes will increase wear on the drivetrain

Post #13236022nd Feb 2007 9:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well I don't wish to Censored on your fire DD but the Drivers manual clearly states on p175 that the change from low to high ratio can be done with an auto box by moving from Drive into Neutral up to a max speed of 38mph.

The manual also states on p169 that you should " select Neutral when the vehicle is stationary and the engine is required to idle for brief periods (at traffic lights for example) "
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13237222nd Feb 2007 9:43 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Changing from Hi to Lo whilst on the move is one thing. Obviously the 'box needs to be in neutral if you are going to do this. I just don't think that it's a good thing to do so in normal driving situations like traffic jams etc.

Also at traffic lights.. Different theories from different people, neither of them wrong IMO.

The torque converter is only turning slowly on tickover and not causing the fluid to drive the 'box. (It may creep forward but this is only like a viscous coupling spinning freely at this point).

Heat build up will be negligable and there is plenty of room for fluid expansion and recirculation within the system so there would be no pressure build up. If this were the case you would set off like a rocket when you lifted off the brakes!

If you put it into neutral the torque converter would spin the primary shaft within the autobox.

Remember, we are not talking about a prolonged period of time here. I have owned auto-box cars for the last 18 years, including a RR classic for 8 of them, and have not had a single problem.

Just my preference that's all. Wink
 Back in the game!  
Post #13239622nd Feb 2007 10:30 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Laughing So nothing has changed then, there are still two schools of thought, the keep it in drive & the put into neutral. Interesting arguments for & against though.
As an engineering numpty, it just feels better to me to put it into neutral. So I'll continue doing just that.

Post #13254023rd Feb 2007 1:55 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

Well for my part I think there is two schools of thought. Drive a auto or a proper car with a clutch and gear stick. Of course it should be silver as well.
Ducks out of the bar and makes hasty get away.

Post #13254623rd Feb 2007 2:10 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

LT wrote:
Laughing there are still two schools of thought,

Yep...one is Land Rover and the other is DD Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13254923rd Feb 2007 2:25 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

To be fair to DD, I've owned both auto. & manual cars for the last 21 years. The arguments for & against putting auto.s into neutral whilst idling have always existed. I expect they always will.

Post #13255323rd Feb 2007 2:41 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Well I've been driving for longer than that even .... ..so lets not have a competition Very Happy

My point with DD isn't about personal preference...in fact I have have been known to leave my auto in drive for short periods as well Whistle ..but we have to be careful when making statements like 'you shouldn't' or 'it's best' to do those things as a definitive statement when the manual says completely the opposite. Thats all Wink
Post #13256223rd Feb 2007 3:54 pm
LT

dickgriff wrote:
Well I've been driving for longer than that even .... ..so lets not have a competition

Me too, but not in cars that I've owned. I was into motorbikes when I was younger, when I needed a car I borrowed one. No competition though, I'd bet you're older than me Smile
Actually, my Dad always had auto.s & I remember the argument existed then. Probably has since the first auto. box was used. I've yet to hear a really convincing (to me as a non-techy) reason that it is better for the life of box to leave it in drive all the time.
For Police & defensive drivers etc. then I'd agree that leaving it in drive is potential safer for the occupants of the vehicle, as it would afford a quicker response time.
Maybe a forum poll is in order?

Post #13257223rd Feb 2007 4:34 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've driven Auto's for about 8 years (always swore by Manual before that) & I always leave it in drive & use the footbrake. Unless it's in a 'real' traffic jam where I'll put the stationary brake on, Neutral, & maybe even switch off the engine if it's not too cold outside. Roll up my sleeves, find another driver with a newspaper to borrow & settle down for a nice read.......... Wink
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #13257923rd Feb 2007 5:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >