Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

New winch on D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Finished winch on D4

Well its all done, learning points and tips.

I would leave the lodar controller in its original case, there is plenty of room to fit it behind the bumper against the metal bracket.

I would put the winch solenoid in a smaller box and not worry about waterproofing it, Its a sealed unit.

I would leave longer to do the job, its took me about 40 hours

There are two small screws at the bottom of each wheel arch that hold the arch liner to the bumper. They were impossible to get out, their design means they rust solid. Its worth grinding them away on a different day prior to starting the installation. These took a couple of hours each fiddling on.

Use duct tape to mark the edges of the cuts you want to make. I spent ages trying to mark straight lines and they just didnt succeed. Duct tape you could measure precisely and then cut along a nice straight edge.

I would ask Uncle Ray for a custom modification to the winch mount. If you cut off the courners at each side at the front and make them so that the are triangulated (Hard to describe) then it would still take the winch but would save a lot of cutting out of the webbing behind the bumper.

I think the kill cord is a very good idea. I will replace the one that I have with a working model.Physically though it works great, the curly cord can stick though the gap between the bonnet and light. One pull and it cuts out the isolating solenoid.

There are lots of great videos on youtube showing how to take off the grill, headlights, wheel arches and bumper These were invaluble.

Anyway for those who have done it already I take my hat off to you. For those contemplating doing it it isnt too hard, but be prepared to spend a bit of time on it and get creative with your tool box.
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #20144131st Jan 2019 10:50 pm
charlietortoise

Cutting the hawser slot

This bit worried me the most as it is the most cosmetically obviouse thing. Perhaps it will help others if I explained how I did it.

Well I found that I could use the sides of the winch drum support (winch frame?)as a datum to work out the position for the hawser bolts. I offered up the bumper, secured it with the big silver torx bolts at each side so I was sure it was central. Made sure the other top bolt holes were aligned. Then I marked the top line of the bumper onto both winch supports and I also marked the outside edges of the winch support on the bumper.

I took off the bumper and measured from the winch support to the bolt hole (In my case the bottom one) This measurement I then took and measured down the bumper, this gave me my horizontal mark.

I then got two bits of tape, placed then on the bumper marks and layed them vertically down (like a plum bob) the front of the bumper. I spent a long time comparing measurements taken from the top to the middle then to the bottom to make sure they were parallel. I then measured the holes in relation to the outside edge of the winch drum supports, this measurement I then took from the tape edge and this gave me my vertical marks

Once I had these I offered up the bumper again and 'eyed' it up to see if I looked close.

When I was happy I then offered up the hawser itself both to see if the holes aligned with my marks and to see if the hawser was level to the bumper. It would look horrible if it was cockeyed.

Once I was sure and this took several retrys until I was positive I drilled the two holes at 4mm. My thinking was if I was out of line I had something to play with. Had a bit of a spy with a torch and also slotted in a philips scredriver and found the holes. Checking the angle of the screwdriver said my holes were good. I drilled them out to 10mm.

I then used a couple of bolts to fit the hawser so I could mark it out for cutting the slot.

Once the slot was all cut for my surface mounting and I was happy, I drilled the holes out big enough for the spacers to fit through. My bumper isnt squashed between any metal, this will prevent the risk of it cracking, instead it slots over the spacers.

I then fitted the Uncle Ray dowels and spacers and bolted on the hawser with nuts and washers.

I didnt take any photos though as at this stage I just wanted it all to be finished.

Anyway I hope this helps to give you a guide becase I dint find any real mention of it in other posts.

Post #20146642nd Jan 2019 9:35 pm
charlietortoise

New winch on D4

Just thought I would mention the main wiring and earthing, I am not an electrician so all I can say is what I did and why. It would be up to you to decide the best thing to do. Anyway I read up a lot on this including this thread.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/winch-wirin...ch+battery

I also got some good views about where to connect the main live to, the most convincing reasoning came from Australia via this forum (amazing how small the world is now)

What I settled on (and it remains to be tested) was to connect the positive lead to the cranking battery terminal directly. Reasoning being it is equal distant from the altinator, and when its fitted the second battery. Main draw comes from all three sources then in the shortest cable length possible.

The negative lead I connected to the same battery earth point on the body as the cranking battery, the reasearch here was based on problems experianced and solutions given that if its earthed to the body as close to the battery as possible there will be less likely hood that the winch will earth through electrical components that offer a shorter path than the intended one.
Post #20155665th Jan 2019 7:01 pm
dorianwoolger

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

What are your plans for the number plate? I was thinking of getting one of the sticker type ones and putting it on the top section of the bumper.

I have gone down the route of buying another bumper from eBay to cut up Smile will keep the original one for resale Thumbs Up
 Dorian Woolger
Amateur Call: 2E0FSI

2016 Discovery 4 Graphite
+ Remote for FBH, + Timed Climate, + Cubby Fridge, + ARB Compressor + Roof Ladder
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
Altox WBUS-5 GPS FBH Controller.
RLD Hidden winch mount + Superwinch Talon 9.5SR
ProSpeed Rack
ProSpeed Sliders
Tuff Trek RTT
EVOcorse 18" Wheels with 265/60 R18 KO2's

Post #20170039th Jan 2019 11:36 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Fairlead number plate mount Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #201700610th Jan 2019 12:16 am
charlietortoise

New winch on D4

I have used the original plinth. I put 4 plastic spacers off a TV mount behind the screws. It looks fine except there is a gap. So I have ordered some 1.5 mm thick neoprean rubber strip. I will glue that around the edge at the back.

Number plate screws to the front as normal.

Next job is to make it quick release.

My plan for that is to fit 4 locator studs instead of the screws and then have two DZUE fasteners which are 1/4 turn to hold it all on.

PS

I dont have a hook on my winch line. Instead I use a rated shackle, it has always worked fine with my D2 set up. This means in its park positions the thimble is behind the fairlead. So to secure it I drilled and tapped a 6mm bolt into the underside of the winch tray, then bolted on a small bracket. To this I spliced some black 8mm dynema. Then I platted a soft shackle. I put the soft shackle through the spliced loop and the thimble. Winch in and hey presto all is secure and hidden.

I will send some pics this weekend

NO GAP

GAP

Last edited by charlietortoise on 12th Jan 2019 3:26 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #201702110th Jan 2019 6:09 am
charlietortoise

Bracket

I have a number plate bracket with 1/4 thrn fasteners that fits into the fairlead bolts if it is any use for anyone.
Post #201702210th Jan 2019 6:11 am
dorianwoolger

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Looking great mate. Which I had as much time.
 Dorian Woolger
Amateur Call: 2E0FSI

2016 Discovery 4 Graphite
+ Remote for FBH, + Timed Climate, + Cubby Fridge, + ARB Compressor + Roof Ladder
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
Altox WBUS-5 GPS FBH Controller.
RLD Hidden winch mount + Superwinch Talon 9.5SR
ProSpeed Rack
ProSpeed Sliders
Tuff Trek RTT
EVOcorse 18" Wheels with 265/60 R18 KO2's

Post #201806512th Jan 2019 11:09 pm
charlietortoise

New winch on D4

I wasnt happy about the routing of the wires for the winch where they went in to the battery box, and the jumper fuse for that matter. It all worked but this bit looked a bit amateurish.

Battery cover cut.

Jumper fuse

So I paid a visit to the scrap yard and picked up a couple of things. New battery cover, a grommet and also some spade terminals from a fuse box.

The terminals are very special, a strange square shape, they just pull out if you apply a steady pressure on the wire.
The grommet is from the auxillery battery box and is a blank, the other is from the main live cable to the starter from the battery box.

Remove the battery first then opening the fuse box is easy, just 2 clip lugs at each end and the two halfs seperate, with a bit of dexterity you can insert the spade terminal into the blank slot, I cut plenty of wire off the scrapper (a Disco 3) so it is easy to splice to.

I took a nick out of the wall to accomodate the earth cable.

I used a dremmel to make the slot in the wall at the top for the new grommet. I also used the dremmel to make the hole in the grommet for the cable, I had to use the blank as the one with the hole already in it routed the winch wire in such a way as it hit against the forward earth stud.

A learning point I bored the hole at 90 degrees, BUT I should have done it at 45 degrees to make the cable access easier.

Once it was all reassembled I had this set up.

And the lid as it is now

I also installed the kill cord, this works really well as it cuts the power to the main solenoid.

Post #202020219th Jan 2019 4:06 pm
charlietortoise

New winch in D4 Update

My second hand Lodar control went kaput. So I had to buy a new one. I mentioned before that if I was to do it again I would use the original lodar case for the control and mount the solenoid separately and not encased.

This is my mk 2 install. I just need to put some rubber caps on the terminals and it is completed. I think it is a good looking installation and also it means the Lodar has a guarantee on it for 5 years and can go to quite

deep and still maintain its waterproofing.
Post #20668648th Jul 2019 12:40 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: New winch on D4

charlietortoise wrote:
I have used the original plinth. I put 4 plastic spacers off a TV mount behind the screws. It looks fine except there is a gap. So I have ordered some 1.5 mm thick neoprean rubber strip. I will glue that around the edge at the back.

Number plate screws to the front as normal.

Next job is to make it quick release.

My plan for that is to fit 4 locator studs instead of the screws and then have two DZUE fasteners which are 1/4 turn to hold it all on.

PS

I dont have a hook on my winch line. Instead I use a rated shackle, it has always worked fine with my D2 set up. This means in its park positions the thimble is behind the fairlead. So to secure it I drilled and tapped a 6mm bolt into the underside of the winch tray, then bolted on a small bracket. To this I spliced some black 8mm dynema. Then I platted a soft shackle. I put the soft shackle through the spliced loop and the thimble. Winch in and hey presto all is secure and hidden.

I will send some pics this weekend

NO GAP

GAP

Resurrecting this thread as I have just had a discreet winch mount fitted.... did you not have a problem with the proximity of the two front parking sensors so close to the forward protruding new number plate fitment? It looks as if the original D3 discreet winch mounts benefited from the protruding parking sensor mounts. I had to fit a workaround and mount the numberplate above the sensors. Unintended benefit is that it now completely conceals any view of the winch itself but leaves the rope 'mouth' exposed.
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #216469430th Jul 2020 7:04 pm
charlietortoise

Sensors

Hi, the front sensors are working perfectly. No false alarms at all. I get down to Oxford regularly so if you want to have a look/measure I can bring the disco.
Post #216472030th Jul 2020 8:37 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I would value that if we can make it happen.

I'll PM you

Thumbs Up
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #216475330th Jul 2020 11:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >