Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

newbie needs advice re coolant loss
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
garry1633

newbie needs advice re coolant loss

Hi I am a new user to the forum and need some advice.
I have owned a Discovery 3 2.7 SE for 1 year on 4th January. I had the car serviced before Christmas by the supplying dealer here in Northern Ireland.
When it was delivered back (dealer 60 miles away) I drove away but noticed that no heat from A/C and that engine sounded odd. After 5 miles engine lost power pulling away from lights and I pulled over to see temperature guage rising and red overheat light came on and then low coolant warnig came on.
I stopped the engine called the dealer who contacted LR assist, this was now 3.45pm on Friday 23rd December. LR asist called to say they could get someone to me at 6.00pm even though I was at side of main road Exclamation
The very helpful and pleasant chap from LR assist duly came at 6.00pm and confirmed there was no coolant and this was because the bleed valve had not been replcaced at the service.
He had no coolant so filled engine with water and followed me home and advised to go to nearest dealer (not the supplying dealer who did service) on Christmas Eve and see if they would drain and replace coolant.
This I duly did on in the morning and they checked for leaks and replaced coolant and charged me £50 for this.They said bleed valve was cause of coolant loss.
Since then coolant level has dropped slightly.
What is the likelihood of engine damage and what degrre of compensation etc from servicing dealer would be appropriate and I obviously have not paid for the service as yet.
I have tried to speak to the service manager and dealer principal but were not available.
Many thanks for reading this and your advice would be appreciated.

Post #357773rd Jan 2006 7:32 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I doubt any damage has been done, D3s are keen to shout warnings at you at the best of times so it must have a field day for a genuine one! Assuming you stopped as soon as the overheat light came on fingers crossed all will be okay, it's prolonged running overtemperature that causes problems.

Personally I'd get the duff dealer to:
1. Refund the £50 it cost you to get everything sorted
2. Give you the service for free to make up for the inconvenience
3. Put in writing the details of the issue and an admission that it was their error along with a guarantee that should you have any future problems that can be attributed to their error they will cover the cost of the repair in full.

If they try and shrug it off simply tell them you will pursue the issue further within their company and Land Rover and will not have any qualms about 'naming names' if required to get satisfaction.
Sound like an honest, though possibly costly mistake, but make sure you don't loose out at all because of it

Si

PS Welcome to DISCO3 Very Happy
 The End  
Post #357833rd Jan 2006 8:05 pm
Pelyma

England 

Just don't make it personal, keep it factual and calm. Save the big guns for later if you don't get any help. Good luck Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #358273rd Jan 2006 9:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >