Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Newbie seeks advice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Newbie seeks advice.

Hello everyone, I've been a "Lurker" for several months now, as I have been contemplating buying a TDV6 SE or HSE in 2006.
I've been impressed by what a friendly and informative bunch you all are.
I must admit to being a little worried about the tales of woe on this & other sites, but I hope I'm correct in thinking, that the 06 models should be more "sorted".
If I decide that buying a Disco.3 is an option (haven't even driven one yet!) I'm sure that I'll have many questions to ask, but my first is:
Does anyone know about anything about this company? http://www.destefano.co.uk
Their 06 HSE appears to be U.K spec. & has the options that maybe missing from the Motorpoint HSE's.
I'd also be very grateful for any other suggestions as to where I might find "cheap" Disco3's. I would consider nearly new as well.
Wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Last edited by LT on 31st Dec 2005 5:32 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #3543831st Dec 2005 5:14 pm
MVS

1.Yes 06' cars more sorted.
2.Take a test drive you'll be amazed how good they are on road & off.
3.As for cheap ones, just ring around the dealers near the end of the month.

Post #3544031st Dec 2005 5:23 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi LT, welcome to the site

I've not heard of De Stefano Ltd before but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.
http://www.destefano.co.uk/artman/publish/article_74.shtml sounds like an 05 model, they upped the spec and the price slightly on the 06 HSE I seem to remember but unless there's features you desperately want on the 06 this shouldn't make much difference.

I'd firstly go round all your local dealers and arrange a few test drives, then when you're convinced you want a D3 (normally takes about 5 seconds into the drive Wink ) see what sort of deal the dealers will do you before looking elsewhere, you may end up paying slightly more but it could make life easier in the future and help to build a good relationship with a dealer. I saved 10% off book price when I bought my D3 at a time when there was nearly no discounts available, the price I paid for this was buying from a useless dealer that I quickly discovered just wasn't interested once they had my money. Thankfully I have since found a dealer that so far has been excellent in resolving any issues I've had despite not having bought from them, but to be honest I'd rather have paid more and not had the hassles I had from the supplying dealer

If you do down the importer route make sure the vehicle is UK spec, has the full 3 year UK warranty and the other benefits of buying over here (LRA etc.) Establish how long you'll have to wait for the vehicle, how the finances work etc.

There's obviously money to be saved, you have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide which is best for you, also consider if you intend to keep the car for a long time or trade it in after a few years.

Si
 The End  
Post #3544331st Dec 2005 5:36 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the advice.
Can anyone recc. any good dealers near to me? I live in the Bath/Bristol area.
Also I regularly travel East up the M4 & around the North half of the M25, so I could always use a good dealer around that route as well.

Post #355882nd Jan 2006 3:07 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

LT wrote:
Thanks for the advice.
Can anyone recc. any good dealers near to me? I live in the Bath/Bristol area.
Also I regularly travel East up the M4 & around the North half of the M25, so I could always use a good dealer around that route as well.

Yeovil LR are very good for parts prices and also servicing (I think someone said) so may be worth a go on the sales front.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #355972nd Jan 2006 4:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Sales is not Yeovil LR's strongest point.....

Post #356042nd Jan 2006 5:56 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Try Lancaster in Reading, 5 mins from M4 J11
 The End  
Post #356082nd Jan 2006 6:42 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Winger wrote:
Sales is not Yeovil LR's strongest point.....

Wink Thumbs Up
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #356212nd Jan 2006 8:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yosser395

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

LT
Try Hunters at Bristol. Speak to a saleslady called Delphine --- done me some fantastic deals in the past.

Post #356232nd Jan 2006 8:42 pm
Non Stick Nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have also found Lancaster to be good, both for the car they serviced that I bought elsewhere (D2) nad now the D3 I have bought from them.
Non Stick
 I am a hob nobber.  
Post #356903rd Jan 2006 7:55 am
John128

Re: Newbie seeks advice.

LT wrote:
Hello everyone, I've been a "Lurker" for several months now, as I have been contemplating buying a TDV6 SE or HSE in 2006.
I've been impressed by what a friendly and informative bunch you all are.
I must admit to being a little worried about the tales of woe on this & other sites, but I hope I'm correct in thinking, that the 06 models should be more "sorted".
If I decide that buying a Disco.3 is an option (haven't even driven one yet!) I'm sure that I'll have many questions to ask, but my first is:
Does anyone know about anything about this company? http://www.destefano.co.uk
Their 06 HSE appears to be U.K spec. & has the options that maybe missing from the Motorpoint HSE's.
I'd also be very grateful for any other suggestions as to where I might find "cheap" Disco3's. I would consider nearly new as well.
Wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Destafano are well established and okay I think. Don't know where the myth of the 'missing options' on Motorpoint D3's comes from though. Main dealers, probably. I have one, and it's got everything that a main dealer sourced HSE - except Land Rover assist. No problems with warranty work either. Why should dealer care - they're getting paid just the same. Perfectly understand a lot of people being frightened to spend £35K+ outside the dealer network, but I've not seen a downside and the savings (even after beating the main dealers with a big stick) run into thousands of pounds. Amounts to a very expensive AA service in my opinion.

Post #357033rd Jan 2006 10:30 am
LT

Thanks everyone.
John128, I only read about the "Spanish" spec. on the Motorpoint D3's from this forum. So It's interesting to hear that the spec. is as per U.K.
I don't really know anything about LRA, is it worth paying for & how does it differ from a comprehensive RAC/AA etc. package? I assume that you get a replacement vehicle via LRA, but does the LR warranty give you a replacement vehicle?
With the problems many of you have experienced, having the best warranty/recovery support would seem wise!

Post #357053rd Jan 2006 11:07 am
Pelyma

England 

Motorpoint used to import D2s from Spain when there was no difference in specs. With D3 there does seem to be more differences in specs throughout Europe compared to the UK. It is a case of WYSIWYG. At the time I looked I spoke to LR to see if there were any issues around warranty, there were not. So if the car is the spec you want then why not.

My wife's uncle bought a pick up from them in Burnley and had loads of trouble in the first month, they gave him his money back straight away, he had better service than the local Mitsubishi and Toyota dealers had given!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #357083rd Jan 2006 11:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >