Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Newby advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Blue62

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Newby advice

I finally collect my car at the end of next week, thanks for all the advice and encouragement as I was dithering between a D4 or an A6 Avant. The car is a brand new MY12 HSE that's been sitting in dealer stock for a few weeks, I think I've got a good deal but I'm keen to know if I will have the benefit of the pre-heater and if so how it works and what it does. I don't have a brochure to consult and the web site is less than useless as the build section is still under maintenance all these months on! Any help would be appreciated.

Post #8660622nd Dec 2011 11:29 am
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

MY12 HSE will have timed climate as standard but the remote part is a factory option, however you could buy the parts needed from TLO and then get TFC to fit and enable them for you.

Post #8660802nd Dec 2011 12:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Blue62

Sorry Woody, you've lost me a bit there, I am new to all this. Apart from what TLO and TFC stand for, does my car have pre-heating and if so does this include the screen? I assume the benefit of the remote allows you to turn the function on from outside the car, as I understand it pre-heating is standard on the HSE, so do I have to physically turn this function on from inside the car?

Post #8660882nd Dec 2011 12:26 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Blue you have the screen in the car and there is a section within the screen that allows you to set times for the timed climate to heat or vent the car. From memory I thinck you can programme it for a number of days, this in turn activeates the cars pre heater or as some call it FBH. If you do not activate the timed climate, the pre heater will kick in as soon as you start the car from cold providing thetemp outside is below 5 degrees. This to heat the engine quicker, you will also get loads of smoke from under the NSF wing and a smell or partially burnt diesel.
Hope that helps.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8660912nd Dec 2011 12:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Your D4 will have the Fuel Burning Heater, this will come on when the temperature is at or below 5c to help warm the engine up - this bit is automatic. You will also if you wish be able to set a time when you wish the cabin to be preheated or vented - depends on temp if 15c or above it will vent only, below 15c the preheater will come on. The screen will be a heated one but this cannot be controlled by the preheater - needs the engine to be running. You are correct about the remote, I have it and it just allows you to turn the preheating (or venting) on remotely.

Post #8660932nd Dec 2011 12:38 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Description of The Auxiliary Heater and Timed Climate Control can be found at page 60 in the manual http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/co...;id=162483

I saved this online manual to my PC - I find it easier to read than the hard copy I got with the car.

I've got the £320 LR remote handset but only used it once so far. The heater is easy to spot when you lift the bonnet (front right) and is quite easy to hear in operation (like a small jet engine under the bonnet) but there was no smoke, although it does smell like a paraffin heater, which for me is quite nostalgic.

EDIT: Just remembered I downloaded the D4 owner's manual from Calcul@tor's gallery http://www.disco4.com/gallery/albums/userp...1%2529.pdf
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand 

Last edited by D4mation on 2nd Dec 2011 2:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8661202nd Dec 2011 1:37 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

We had a very hard frost this morning and just clicked my remote 30 mins before going out and the car was defrosted and just starting to warm up as I got into it, then put the heated steering wheel on and heated seats, lovely Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #8661262nd Dec 2011 1:43 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

TLO is The Large One (Nick - parts manager at Yeovil LR and forum member)
TFC is 10forcash (mobile D3/4 mechanic extraordinaire from Offroad Essentials)
 VIN: A175A328***  
Post #8661292nd Dec 2011 1:44 pm
Blue62

Thanks once again, more knowledge and information on here than in the combined dealer network!

Post #8661912nd Dec 2011 4:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >