Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Nice long run and no problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tonyrec

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Nice long run and no problems

Just got back from our trip up into deepest darkest Sweden and Denmark and i have to report that the D3 is running sweeter than ever. It didnt so much as miss a beat in 1200 miles of driving in a week.

We had the perfect vehicle for the miles of forrest roads to get to the inlaws remote house in Sweden and for the nice smooth roads in Denmark where the car attracted lots of stares.

I thought that we were going to go the whole trip without seing another D3 but with 2 days to go, we spotted 3 others, all in Copenhagen.

Whilst we were in Sweden, the in laws asked if i would like to try out the pulling capability of the D3 and if i wouldnt mind towing a car that had been abandoned in a nearby field for over a year and i was only too happy to oblige. I reversed over a ditch and about 3 metres into the field, hitched it up and a few seconds later....out it popped onto the road. All too easy for the D3, and one very impressed father in law.

All in all a great run out for all of us including the car which was fully loaded with goodies on the way home.
All this and we averaged 25 mpg......very happy owners. Laughing

Post #619024th Jun 2006 10:47 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Great report Smile and this is not aimed at you, so please take no offence...

But why do we need to report that our D3's ran for xxx miles with no problems ???

Sorry, but am I missing something here ?

Is my 30K purchase supposed to go wrong ? Cause is hasn't Confused

Is this wrong ?

I have owned LR products since the I bought a very very early Freelander way back when they 1st appeared... and they all have never stopped doing what they should do... drive along the road and over the rough stuff without a hitch.

Admittedly I had a loose suspension connector when I first had the D3... but since then, its been a bloody great, reliable, make me smile each time I drive it vehicle.

Post #619064th Jun 2006 11:28 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Glad to hear that you had an enjoyable & trouble free trip Tony.
Simon, as someone who was very interested in owning a D3 & spent several months perusing this forum before actually buying one, I believe positive posts such as these are very important. I seriously considered changing my mind due to the amount of negative posts. I know that such forums exist largely to sort out owners problems, but even so any positive comments are are useful to reassure potential buyers.
Sadly as we all know, the D3 was not "perfect" at launch & only recently do L/R appear to be getting their act together. Although, the complexity of modern cars often means that all marques can suffer minor problems.

Post #619935th Jun 2006 11:54 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

LT, Good point.

Just makes me sad that people think LR products are not capable of driving you around without breaking down.

But yes... positive posts are good to have.

Even better when they are included in the negative threads which I try to do rather that having them out on their own.

cheers

Post #619985th Jun 2006 12:39 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

simon wrote:

Just makes me sad that people think LR products are not capable of driving you around without breaking down

Totally agree, I think the original Discovery was partly to blame, I personally know owners who had virtually everything replaced & the press pointed this out regularly, although of course others have had no problems.
The problems with the D3 have just compounded the fear of failure.
Keeping my fingers firmly crossed, my D3 appears to be working fine Very Happy .

Post #620045th Jun 2006 1:14 pm
nikko

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Me too!

Just completed 2300 miles (Wiltshire to Austria and back) on my spanking new D3 TD6 HSE. In fact, I had 15 miles on the clock when I started.

No issues whatsoever and no oil consumed. Unbelievable for a brand new engine. OK - I drove it like a snail on valium.

To anyone looking at this board thinking of buying a D3 who is worried (as I was) about reliability issues - be assured that the current crop are excellent vehicles!

N
 TD6 HSE, Bonetti Grey/Alpaca  
Post #620135th Jun 2006 1:44 pm
SideSlope

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
Amazed

Glad to hear that you had an excellent trip.

It never ceases to amaze me just what these vehicles can do. After coming off the bumpy stuff and then within minutes up to the legal limit on the main roads, I've often marvelled at their breadth of capability. So easy and so smooooooth! Very Happy
No fuss, no drama.

As the speed merchants in their little sports cars go zipping by I'm often mentally shouting at them "So what else does yours do, apart from breaking the law quicker than me?! Try doing what I've just done and you won't get 5 yards!" Sad really, but there it is. Laughing
 SideSlope
--------------------------
D4 SDV6 HSE MY 2011 Bourneville
Was D4 TDV6 HSE MY 2011 Bournville
Was D3 TDV6 HSE MY 2006 Tonga Green

Some witty or pithy comment here for the entertainment of fellow forum members 

Post #620185th Jun 2006 2:05 pm
al cope

England 

I'm on Disco number 6, (from 200Tdi, through various 300Tdi models, 2 TD5's and now D3), so I guess its a trait that problems/niggles get visibilty, but I would say now more than other cars. I've just towed our Abbey Spectrum 620 for 400 miles, and I thought my TD5 was a good tow car, but this thing is something else. Not a wobble, not a hestation, and hills - what hills! The only downside was a drop from 27mpg solo to 19 towing, a bit worse than I was expecting.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #620315th Jun 2006 3:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >