Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

A very very nice man
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
oliver77

Wales 
A very very nice man

Had to call out LR Assist tonight as my suspension was sky high and wouldn't come down. He reset something and all appears fine now. I won't reveal the location or his identity but when I ask's about reliability issues he said off the record "D3 is the picture of reliability compared with the major problems we are getting with Freelander 2 already" He said that dealer demos and press cars have been breaking down all over the place.

I really hope LR can make the FL2 reliable as so many people are watching and waiting before they get some confidence in the brand.

I was looking at a FL2 to replace my wifes V50 but I think I'll hang on a while.

Anyway, LR Assist are tops! Wink

Post #10573629th Nov 2006 10:04 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Similar experience I had with a friendly local LRA chap back in May. Met in the local petrol station and starting chatting.

He went off on his next call but returned a little later to upgrade all the software in my D3 for a cup of tea and a chat about the D3. Just because he loves the damn things.

They work for Mondial and have no actual allegiance to LR at all. But from what he said, they think the D3 is the dogs and those driving them are seen with envious eyes by those that don't.

Post #10573729th Nov 2006 10:14 pm
retired

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My experience was very different. LRA / Mondial sent out a local breakdown wagon. The chap operating couldn't even change my puncture without being told how to release the spare and how the locking wheel nuts work.

Sound as if its OK as long as you get pukka LRA and not some local subcontractor.

Post #10573829th Nov 2006 10:18 pm
Pelyma

England 

With my last D3 I had to call LRA out a few times, I always specified I wanted a proper LRA guy not the local recovery company. Fortunately 13,000 miles in with the second and I've not had the need to call them Very Happy
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #10575329th Nov 2006 11:47 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

After 54,000 miles in a 1st run build D3, I have only had to call them once. And that was for a flat tyre and being lazy (and it was dark and wet) I called them out.

Came in less than 30 mins and although a local garage guy (the LR chap would have been longer as he had another job on), he was more than happy for me to explain the various procedures required to change a wheel on a vehicle that constantly tries to keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

Post #10575730th Nov 2006 12:04 am
Laura

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I had been thinking of possibly changing to a Freelander in the near future just because I won't need 7 seats for much longer and it is a bit smaller to drive around in but I haven't heard anything good about it. Bad write ups in all the press, a high spec one seems quite expensive so no real advantage swapping my HSE. Does anyone know any good news about it? Confused

Post #10575830th Nov 2006 12:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I stopped at Durham services today, and as I pulled into the car park I noticed 2 Land Rover Customer care D3's, and a Maroon RRS parked up.

I was sat in the services reading my paper when I became aware of a 'Meeting' taking place on the table behind me. I could not not hear the conversation except for snippets of 'TD5' 'FL2' Plugs in here'etc.

I think it was a regional manager updating the local guys?

Both the LRA reps pagers went off simultaneously, and they then disappeared.

Post #10575930th Nov 2006 12:27 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

You sure they weren't MI5 Gareth Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #10576130th Nov 2006 12:31 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They were wearing shades. Packages were exchanged Wink

Post #10576330th Nov 2006 12:40 am
Pelyma

England 

Laura don't believe the hype, the car is good. It pulls well, drives well and now has a decent size boot. I have only driven an HSE and it wasn't that diffrent to my HSE. The interior is nicer than the D3, with RRS front seats. It has a better pti system, less cheap plastic and most the switch gear is out of a D3. The hype about the key is stupid, the key is about the same size as your D3 key and you push it in a slot, before using a starter button.

The only bit I would change is to put a proper centre consol in rather than having 2 cup holders, the hand brake is a little close to the seat too.

If you don't use the D3's off road prowess to its full (not many do) and don't need the space then it makes a good choice. I gave it a real hard run and the mpg was comfortably over 30mpg this included a 90mph sprint a good thrash up a very steep hill and it started at 29mpg.

Go and drive one, don't read the hype. They were the same about the D3, its expensive and its interior is cheap. It might not be a FFRR inside but I had no complaints and more importantly neither did my wife.

Post #10579730th Nov 2006 10:08 am
Laura

Thanks Pelyma, that is really useful. I don't actually want toget rid of the d3 as I LOVE it but I get 18 mpg with the type of driving I do and I soon won't need the extra capacity. When it is about two years old we will think whether we buy a newer D3 or something else. I really like being higher than a normal car. In the xmas holidays I might go and drive one. Does it come with the automatic gearbox in the HSE version?

Post #10585030th Nov 2006 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

Your touching on a raw nerve there Laura!. The diesel auto won't be out until late spring early summer Crying or Very sad The petrol is only auto. I'm told there is a good reason - but noone will tell me why Crying or Very sad

Post #10585230th Nov 2006 2:34 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Diesel auto not around until next March!

Popped down to my dealer today and he had a FL2 TD4 SE that he let me take for a drive. it is a very nice car, miles better then the old Freelander but there is no way I would swap my D3 for one. The driving position is much lower and car-like and the coil springs are no match for the air on the D3. In summary, very nice but not a patch on the D3.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #10585330th Nov 2006 2:35 pm
Laura

'Lower driving position'. 'Coil springs'. Doesn't sound so appealing now. The height, the ride quality and the little knobs that make the mirrors go in and out are the things I wouldn't like to be without. I will try it though.

Post #10596130th Nov 2006 5:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >