Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

no air from dashboard vents!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
squiblet552

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
no air from dashboard vents!

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Have owned my 55 reg Disco 3 HSE for just over 2 months (so still under warranty, phew!) and today all the dashboard vents and the 2 centre console vents in the middle row have stopped working!
The adjustment wheel is fully open and functional (I can see the plastic piece move inside each vent as I move the wheel) and I can hear air when I put my ear close to each vent, but no air, hot or cold.
All other vents working fine.
Got it booked into my local dealers but not until 13th April.

Can anyone help in the meantime?

Thanks Confused

Post #62658324th Mar 2010 2:10 pm
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Has someone pressed one of the air distribution buttons on the left side of the aircon panel?

Check to see if the aircon is on and ensure it's set to auto.
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #62667324th Mar 2010 4:50 pm
squiblet552

Have tried all combinations, auto and directed to face. All switches light up accordingly, but still no air through. Could it be a fuse? Anything I can try myself woulod be great, got a few long journeys coming up and would quite like some air!

Post #62674424th Mar 2010 7:29 pm
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've got these (brief) instructions written on a post-it note on my desk, which means that I read them on here somewhere, and thought 'that sounds useful' so wrote it down in some (possible slightly inebriated !) self-developed shorthand !!

Hold the 'econ' and 'recirc' buttons on whilst turning the ignition from off to on..........if there are errors logged, then the 'econ' led flashes, if no errors then the 'econ' led stays off.

Now turn the ignition off, then on again - if the 'prog defrost' led (assume this means the button you hit to defrost the front screen) lights, you have errors...........the system will then try and recalibrate itself.

You could also try searching on here - you may find the topic where I got the above info from.

Jim
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #62690224th Mar 2010 11:19 pm
Spooky

United Kingdom 

Does the ariflow vary to the floor and screen when you press the other 2 direction buttons?
 Regards,
Mick

- 2014 SDV8 Autobiography
- 'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie'
- 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #62703525th Mar 2010 9:55 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Have checked the handbook and there only seems to be one fuse in the system - fuse 51 protecting the Climate Control ECU. It's in the passenger compartment fuse box, accessed by lowering the glovebox.

It doesn't sound like the fuse if the rest of the system is working. I have a FCR (Fault Code Reader) tool from Blackbox Solutions and that often tells me I have faulty "Stepper Motors" in my Climate Control system though everything works OK. Could be though that you really could have a faulty stepper motor but don't ask me where they are.

Try JimboD3's procedure. I've not come across that one, let alone tried it but you never know - in D3 electronics land, anything seems possible.

Thumbs Up
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #62704325th Mar 2010 10:12 am
NIDisco3

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Could be a long shot here but.. I also had the symptoms you are experiencing, little or no air flow from the dash air vents and the heated seats took a considerable time to warm up and even then they where not working fully.

I initally thought there was a problem with the Air-Con system but a week later my Disco died at the side of the road, nothing worked couldn't even get it started, turned out to be the alternator was fried and the car was running only off the battery and it will not take long for the Disco to use that up.. New alternator fitted and battery fully charged and the Air Con system is working better than ever.

As I said could be a long shot but I would get the battery and alternator checked out Thumbs Up

Post #62715325th Mar 2010 2:09 pm
squiblet552

Thanks JimboD3, tried your tip. The ECON button flashed twice then went off, no flashing from the quick defrost button, but still no air. All other vents blasting hot or cold air accordingly, and can hear it behind all 4 dash vents but just no air coming through.

Was getting a bit stuffy today in the car now that the weather is finally getting a bit warmer. Any more advice anyone, or do I just have to be patient and wait til it goes to the dealers next month?

Thanks all

Post #62726325th Mar 2010 5:38 pm
hensoni

United Kingdom 

I turned my air-con off last weekend and opened the sunroof. I'd forgotten just how pleasant fresh air is

Post #62732925th Mar 2010 7:08 pm
squiblet552

bit hard to get airflow from an open sunroof directed towards my face whilst driving tho! Laughing

Post #62739725th Mar 2010 8:43 pm
squiblet552

Just to update you, have finally had this fixed. Apparently needed a replacement "face/foot lever", turned out to be quite a lengthy job, so am very glad was covered under the extended warranty, phew. Permagrin restored just in time to enjoy some sunshine this weekend Very Happy

Post #64052024th Apr 2010 9:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >