Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

No sound from head unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nobbyclark

No sound from head unit

When I switch on the stereo in the D3, I am getting no sound on any of the sources (AM, FM, CD, AUX). I have checked the fuses on the head unit (obviously working, as it switches on) and the amp (also OK - there is an orange light on the side, which is lit). And yes, I have turned up the volume (to 12, my normal listening level).

All the connectors on the back of the amp (under the driver's seat) appear to be seated correctly.

Any ideas? I am now at the stage of wanting to take the head unit out to see if all the wires are connected at the back. The stereo is the standard one fitted to the "S" in 2005.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #40398617th Jan 2009 12:38 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry no suggestions, but you listen to your system at only volume setting 12 Shocked Maybe that's why I don't hear most the knocks and squeaks reported on this forum because mine's always pumping out sounds at 24 Thumbs Up 8)

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Post #40399117th Jan 2009 12:45 pm
wavey66

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had a similar problem - except i could still get the CD to work just no Radio, it was booked in for a service so i asked the dealers to take a look. When I picked the car up it was working, I asked what they did and after checking with the mechanic he said he carried out the service and when he tried the stero it was working. He thought disconnecting the battery might of reset "something". Been fine ever since.

You may want to give t a go first ?

Post #40410017th Jan 2009 6:24 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If switching off and on again does not work you could try disconnecting the battery for 10 secs+. (make sure the 'P' light in the dash is out first)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #40432018th Jan 2009 2:14 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I've had a new amp fitted when this happened to me.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #40435618th Jan 2009 9:54 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Happened to me too, switched off and left the car to shut down, when I went back all fine. not happened since.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #40479318th Jan 2009 10:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

me too
same as shiny moose
dunc Thumbs Up
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #40479818th Jan 2009 10:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

2 x amps and 2 x head units on my forst D3 due to this. LR technical then suggested that a wire in the nearside door or door trim may be the cause. dealer took all trim and door to bits, no wire damage - but it started working again Rolling Eyes

So if it's out of warranty you may want to have a word with a friendly dealer and see if they know where the wire "snag" is / could be . . .
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #40480018th Jan 2009 10:43 pm
nobbyclark

Thanks for the responses. This has happened before, once after a bout of listening at ludicrous volumes, when I assumed the amp shut down to protect itself (!). However, it usually comes back to life after the engine has been switched off.

I will try the battery disconnection ploy to see what happens.

As to having a word with my "friendly dealer", it is a branch of Stratstones, so I don't hold out much hope.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #40506719th Jan 2009 1:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >