Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Noise From Final Drive / Wheel Bearing ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
rigsby

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Noise From Final Drive / Wheel Bearing ?

Like many of us on this forum, I am a committed LR fan but my patience is rapidly running out with my 10 month old Disco 3.

I have posted the odd issue earlier (Coolent Level Warnings & "Infotainment Lock Up's") but the thing that is driving me to distraction is a noise that seems to come from the front nearside final drive. It is not related to engine noise / speed as it is still there if you knock into neutral.

The noise appears to get worse as the car gets hotter and after a 20 - 30 mile motorway trip the noise is a so apparent that voices have to be raised to talk over it.

It has been back to the local dealer half a dozen times since May and has had at least 2 new front diff's, a brake caliper and a new brake disc.

As most of my driving is longer runs, I am reminded of this problem every journey. (The car is just coming up to 25,000)

I noticed the article in LRO over the weekend and was shocked that there are as many reliability problems as there appears to be with the Disco 3 hence the decision to write this post today.

The car is booked in again later this week for another attempt by the Local Dealers to resolve the problem.......

My feeling now is that if it isnt resolved I am going to ask the dealers to buy the car back. I know I will lose money but my pleasure from owning what potentially is a superb car has gradually faded away.

Like many of us, having spent £35,000 on a car you expect a quality product. - It has not happened for me.

If anyone has had / resolved a similar problem - please let me know.

Alternativly, If anyone is willing to meet up around the Leeds / West Yorkshire area let me know their thoughts / compare vehicles "noises" it would be useful !

Rigsby

Post #2538431st Oct 2005 11:15 am
BN

England 

It is a small hope, but sometimes tyres that are badly set can cause noise. Check it out first, then go for the serious stuff.

I have Cooper STT's on at the moment which are 80/20 (80% off road and 20% on road) which are hidiously noisy. So much so I thought my wheel bearings were on there way out.

Post #2538631st Oct 2005 11:47 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Wranger tyre wear ??

Rigsby,

Are you running Goodyear Wranglers ? If so look at the wear pattern. You will find it is stepped (each block is slightly raised towards the front) especially after 25K miles - mine nearly 27K now.

This wear causes a noise very similar to wheel bearing noises and gets faster the faster you go. Only stops on certain road surfaces and at high speed.

My tyres are getting noisier as they get older. Happens on our Freelander too. Dealer looked at this and after quite a while we came to the conclusion is was the tyres. Rears worse than fronts in this case. Moving the tyres front to back caused the noise to move too. Sounded like the womph womph of a steam train (best way to describe it). The D3's sound insulation is much better than the Freelander so the noise is not quite so noticeable.

If your noise is on one side on the vehicle... try moving the tyres around to see if the noise moves too.

May not be this of course but your problem does sound (pun intended of course) similar.

-s

Post #2538931st Oct 2005 11:50 am
rigsby

Thanks for ideas.

My tyres are Goodyear - Wrangler's 255/55 (Original Equipment) on 19" RIMS.

The tyres are clearly wearing but not to the point they need changing. I guess there is about 6-7mm wear left on front and slightly more on the back.

The tracking etc seems to be OK as the wear appears reasonably even across the tread.

Historically I have been fairly light on tyre use and have achieved 40k plus on a set both on Disco II's and other 4x4's.

On a possibly related ? point, I do notice that the vehicle easily "tramlines" ruts in the road and will pull quite noticable to one side or other as you are slowing down e.g at trafic lights if you get in a "rut" - maybe it the power steering that is very light ?

Rgds

Post #2539431st Oct 2005 12:00 pm
rigsby

Simon,

Thanks for your ideas.

As you will see from last post I have Goodyear / Wranglers so will try swop around as you suggest.

If it proves to be the case, any thoughts on best replacement tyre when I come to change?

Car is used majority on road, sometimes towing 1.5 ton trailer,

Rgds

Post #2539531st Oct 2005 12:04 pm
simon

rigsby wrote:
Thanks for ideas.

My tyres are Goodyear - Wrangler's 255/55 (Original Equipment) on 19" RIMS.

The tyres are clearly wearing but not to the point they need changing. I guess there is about 6-7mm wear left on front and slightly more on the back.

The tracking etc seems to be OK as the wear appears reasonably even across the tread.

Historically I have been fairly light on tyre use and have achieved 40k plus on a set both on Disco II's and other 4x4's.

On a possibly related ? point, I do notice that the vehicle easily "tramlines" ruts in the road and will pull quite noticable to one side or other as you are slowing down e.g at trafic lights if you get in a "rut" - maybe it the power steering that is very light ?

Rgds

I've noticed the tram lining too... running 18" on my 'S'

Check out your tyres though... move them around and this should help you pin point the source of the noise.

Post #2539731st Oct 2005 12:07 pm
simon

rigsby wrote:
Simon,

Thanks for your ideas.

As you will see from last post I have Goodyear / Wranglers so will try swop around as you suggest.

If it proves to be the case, any thoughts on best replacement tyre when I come to change?

Car is used majority on road, sometimes towing 1.5 ton trailer,

Rgds

Not sure yet... was looking at the Pirelli's that are the other factory fit. But we need some feedback from the others on how they perform on road and off road, noise, wear etc.

Post #2539931st Oct 2005 12:08 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Pirelli's are very good, very little noise (unlike the Coopers! Shocked ) and loads of grip, they won't fix the tramlining issue though Smile

The Coopers have a mind of their own, absolutely brilliant off-road but they tend to wander on-road, especially at speed when you're constantly making slight corrections so you stay in lane Surprised
 The End  
Post #2540231st Oct 2005 12:16 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Slimer wrote:
The Coopers have a mind of their own, absolutely brilliant off-road but they tend to wander on-road, especially at speed when you're constantly making slight corrections so you stay in lane Surprised
yep, second that, although after a good few miles on wet roads with lots of bends (including the tree lined 'rat-run' Wink ) I began to trust their roadholding a lot more than I thought they were capable of. Absolutely 100% offroad though, on a good mix of surfaces, anything from wet grass to slippery smooth rocks.
The Pirelli Scorpion Zero's are good road tyres, especially on the 19" rims and performed admirably at Rockingham & Tixover, not enough miles (yet) to notice any abnormal wear though...

Post #2542131st Oct 2005 1:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

Anyone know how the Pirelli's compare to the Goodyears price wise and if they last longer ?

Post #2543031st Oct 2005 2:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is on 28000 and has the same noise and symptoms you describe. It is certainly the tyres. Mine is on 255's with 19's and yes it get worse when its hotter and on a smooth road. I find it does get a bit intrusive on certain road surfaces.

I plan to replace my tyres soon, possibly with Michelin Synchrones. They really did quieten down my old Disco 2. Not sure if they are any good off road, but I plan to buy some off-road wheels and tyres soon anyway.

Post #2549431st Oct 2005 8:09 pm
rigsby

A quick update.

The car has been in main dealers for another couple of days regarding the noise. It might be that some progress has been made with my particular problem despite the discussion regarding tyres etc.

The dealer has seemingly used a box of accoustic monitoring kit with sensors placed on all suspect components and the conclusion is:-

Its the Transfer Box !!!

Replacement now on order - expect 3 - 4 weeks.

(Cost should anyone have to buy one £1302.20 + fitting !)

Will update when fitted.

Post #264145th Nov 2005 10:18 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Rigsby
Hope this is the solution to your problem.

You would of thought that the dealer would of used it's box of tricks after the first replacement diff did not cure the problem.

It seams to be that dealers (not just LR) don't realise how frustrating it is for a customer to keep having to return on numerous occasions.

I have had this from various dealers over the years Mercedes, Vauxhall, Citroen to name a few, they think that as long as you have a courtesy car all is fine, this should not be the case.
I am probably being unfair on your dealer, this is just a general rant of mine.
Would it be an idea to have a list of LR dealers on here that have given excellent service?

Post #264155th Nov 2005 11:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >