Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Noise and Steering Vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3
Noise and Steering Vibration

There is a strange very low toned sound that can also be vaguely felt in the floor (auto petrol). The closest I can describe it is like a lightsaber like towards the end of this sound file Laughing

It seems to happen in 1st/2nd gear around 1500RPMs while accelerator pedal's engaged. It lasts for a couple seconds, will make the sound one or two times, when it occurs the RPMs drop a notch - maybe 250RPMs. Following this the steering wheel shakes visibly and continues to shake for the rest of the trip.

It's one of those annoying come and go problems - will go days without any issues, then it returns out of the blue. I know it will behave perfectly at the dealer's Rolling Eyes

Already had the rack and pinion replaced, alignment, and new tires & balance all done pretty recent. Anyone have any thoughts what it might be? Was thinking EPB maybe, but I never use it so not sure and symptoms seem a bit different than others described.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #5451163rd Nov 2009 4:02 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

That's a wicked way of describing your issue Thumbs Up
Can't help you except it's not your EPB...I've just listened my way through 10 pages of "Screeching/Squealing" noises and can't hear anything exactly the same as a squealing EPB, but I can confirm, having had 3, it doesn't sound anything like a light saber.
It's kind of like this...http://photo.52design.com/mid/qiche/SKID2.WAV but goes on until you turn the car off.

I take it you have checked everything reachable under the bonnet/bits of trim for anything loose?
Sounds obvious, but it might just be a vibrating piece of plastic rather than anything sinister.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #5451423rd Nov 2009 5:21 pm
sideview

Ta BCC Thumbs Up nope definitely doesn't sound like that, more baritone Laughing It somewhat reminds me of when the HDC kicks in, but not so dramatic as that, much more subtle and speedometer doesn't waver, just RPMs. I've looked and don't see anything loose Confused It's bugging the heck out of me what it could be...

Post #5451563rd Nov 2009 5:42 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The sound you are getting is very similar the the sound I had a few weeks/months ago - the car would be runing fine at a steady speed when I would get that sound (faintly) followed by a gradual increase in vibration until everything in the boot seemed to be vibrating - the vibration would stay even if I slowed down and when I didnt, it would go away after a number of seconds and wouldnt come back for some weeks.

I have changed the rear discs, pads and cleaned/serviced the EPB and so far I havnt had the problem again. I have no idea which of the above may have fixed it as they were all done at the same time.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Last edited by DiscoDunc on 3rd Nov 2009 7:30 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #5451593rd Nov 2009 5:50 pm
sideview

Yes, that sounds a lot like my symptoms Dunc! I will have a look, pads are due soon so I'll go ahead with it now and see where that leads Thumbs Up

Post #5451753rd Nov 2009 6:24 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

having just a bearing replaced, would recommend checking those as I thought I had random issues with the brakes/EPB until it failed!!!!!

It produced both interesting noises and vibrations in its final week.

Just got the bill for it Shocked
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #5451803rd Nov 2009 6:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

Shocked Failed? That could have ended bad Spotter. Other than the high expense I'm glad you are okay! Thanks for that I will definitely check.

Post #5451863rd Nov 2009 6:42 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

luckily, unlike some on here, it held until we came off the autoroute and actually completely went in a car park Whistle

It is a quick and simple check Thumbs Up
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #5452093rd Nov 2009 7:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

Just an update on this, which is basically I don't know yet Laughing and found a couple other issues Big Cry

We changed out my front pads last weekend, rears were good fronts about 2/3 worn. The front driver's side caliper was very hard (needed the hammer!) to get off.

The rotors look okay.

EPB didn't get adjusted because I forgot to bring the instructions Embarassed

Checked the bearings and all seem okay, but...discovered that the rack & pinion (the new one) is still clunking a little on the passenger side!

Then changed the oil and it appears that the rear main oil seal is leaking Shocked Not a drastic leak but quite significant (maybe 1/4-1/2 cup oil or so slopped around underneath the plate). Anyone had this happen yet? I've not read of it, and I'm a little surprised at 50K miles and has been well maintained.

Haven't had the original symptoms since this weekend but too early to tell, sigh Confused

Post #54934710th Nov 2009 11:49 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Check the transfer box rear output shaft bearing - can cause the symptoms in post 1 Wink

Post #54939111th Nov 2009 12:18 am
sideview

Hmmm interesting, thanks TFC. Sounds like something I will need to ask dealer to look at, probably not a way to check without tearing the transfer box apart? I wish I could just fly you over here sometimes Laughing Wink

Post #54943911th Nov 2009 1:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >