Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

'Only Normal Height Available'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sit

England 
'Only Normal Height Available'

Ok so before I get bashed for not using the search function, I have it and it returned a myriad of results and none of them really replicated the issue I am having.

So the car is sublime, runs and drives lovely and as a creature of habit I always park and lower to access height and raise to normal when I get in and move off so the suspension is used daily and not left in normal permanently.

I can drive a 500 mile round trip without an issue or conversely I can drive 2 miles to collect my daughter from school and 'bong' I get 'Only Normal Height Available' with an amber exclamation mark illuminated. The car doesn't drive any different, the suspension is still super plush but when I arrive at my destination I cannot lower to access height. When I get back in the amber light has gone and I have access to all suspension modes.

I scanned the car with my mighty fine Autel AP200 and got the following -

C1A20-64 - Pressure increases too slow when filling reservoir (intermittent)
U0421-68 - Invalid data received from ride level control module (intermittent)
U0140-08 - Lost communication with body control module (intermittent)
U0001-82 - High speed CAN communication bus (intermittent)

So assuming the pressure was being lost somewhere as it suggested the reservoir was filling too slowly I booked the car in with my local garage, they spent an age checking and testing all the lines, bags, compressor to identify any leaks - none not one!

I can obviously put a new compressor on but it works perfectly fine and reluctant to do that at this stage if there is something else I have overlooked based on the above or from other peoples experiences??

I know from using the search function this seems to be a fairly common problem although the intermittency and non discriminatory nature of my fault and its presence part way through a just baffles me.

Has anyone experienced similar and can perhaps suggest my next move, its a '15 plate car so has the newer AMK/Hitachi compressor (not sure which one was newer) but I think its the one that doesn't suffer the hairline split between inlet/outlet pipes.

Cheers

Post #23614529th Feb 2024 8:30 am
LRD4GAB

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

May I suggest that the beads beads in the compressor dryer need replacing they break down over time

Post #23614579th Feb 2024 10:11 am
Sit

England 

Thanks for the reply, this is something I was considering after reading some other threads - is this relatively simple to do??

I am just struggling with how intermittent the fault is - if the beads were breaking down wouldn't this be almost a daily occurrence? Having done some more searching on here I am wondering if its a communication problem given that the suspension works perfectly and I have a CAN fault and comms fault with ride module?

Si

Post #23614609th Feb 2024 10:31 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

The beads in the dryer are there to remove moisture from the air coming from the compressor, so it is feasible that the ambient conditions will affect the performance of the air dryer.

If the beads in the dryer as tired then on days when the air contains more water then the compressor and drier performance will be worse than on a day with less moisture in the air.

All the fault that pressure increases too slowly is telling you is that from compressor activation the pressure at the pressure sensor hasn’t got to a set level in a specified time. Generally that can because air is leaking out of the system, the compressor itself isn’t performing well because the piston/bore is worn or the air coming from the compressor is restricted because the air drier is breaking down.

Post #23614649th Feb 2024 10:55 am
Sit

England 

Ah ok that does make sense when you say it like that, I will probably start with the dryer beads in that case and have found a good video on YouTube of it being done on an AMK compressor - not sure which I have - is there anyway of telling without taking the compressor off??

Post #23614669th Feb 2024 11:04 am
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

From memory the covers fitted to AMK are different to those fitted to a Hitachi compressor, equally AMK was standard from a certain point on the D4s

But it isn’t that difficult to pop the lower cover off to get a view of the compressor

Post #23614829th Feb 2024 12:57 pm
Sit

England 

So its an AMK which is good news, I have been browsing Air Seals UK and found their kit for the AMK which at £55 seems a good place to start before shelling out for a new compressor straight off the bat.

Going to have a go tomorrow I think....

Post #23614839th Feb 2024 1:13 pm
LRD4GAB

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There is a YouTube video how to do it, I have mine to do only been a year Very Happy

Post #23614939th Feb 2024 3:44 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

C1A20-64 I think is the root of the issues you are experiencing.
And there are a few common reasons for that; the beads being one, the filter being clogged another, a leak somewhere and, the pump is on its end of days.
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #23615049th Feb 2024 5:05 pm
Sit

England 

Thanks all, lots of good info around regarding this and this morning I completed a complete compressor overhaul - interestingly I read in a couple of places the compressor is considered a service item.

Anyway the service kit I bought from here - https://4x4airseals.com/

Excellent range of kits for various years and models including Hitachi, Dunlop and mine which was AMK, superb service - ordered yesterday at midday, paid for next day delivery and it was with me by 11am this morning.

Next up i used this video to remove the compressor from the car, exactly as the author of the video describes - ?si=iVEUCSA4dfb1w-Iw

Then once of 4x4 Air Seals have their own videos to show how to fit/replace the various parts in the kit -

Dryer medium replacement - ?si=IUQLj8arpWe4rml1
Exhaust solenoid and valve seals - ?si=Fvptxir_kHla47uh

Once all that was done it was time to refit in reverse order, all in took about an hour or so. Only time will tell if this has improved matters, interstingly there was a fair bit of white powder inside the dryer and a good chunk of the balls I took out were quite dark which I read somewhere suggests they have reached their capacity. The replacement media from 4x4 Air Seals is larger which according to their info allows free movement through the dryer which seems to make sense.

Post #236163210th Feb 2024 5:07 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for sharing. Could you update your car prior so that we know which model/ year it applies to?
Thanks
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236164010th Feb 2024 8:07 pm
Sit

England 

Apologies it’s a 2015 D4 SDV6 although the removal video applies to all versions of the compressor and the 4x4 Seals channel on YouTube has a video for all types of compressor 👍

Post #236164110th Feb 2024 8:09 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It may make no difference whatsoever,but for completeness is it a 2016 model year (Adblue) version?
You can add the car details to your profile ( which is the word I was trying to type in my previous message - got changed to ‘prior’). If you do that, it will appear against you details every time you post a message.
I’m interested because I think it may not be long before this is required on mine.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236166010th Feb 2024 11:50 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2015 LR4 3.0 SCV6 HSE Lux Auto Aintree GreenLR4

Nice work @Sit!
Reminds me of the time when ZF said there should be maintenance of the transmission…. But JLR said sealed for life.
Or Eaton said maintenance of the supercharger, but..
Or Haldex Traction… is there a theme here?

Anyhow, I should have know about a maintenance kit. After all I have one for the compressor in the carriage house.
So, I decided to have another read of the workshop manual and found this:
“The air supply unit can be serviced in the event of component failure but is limited to the following components…”. It seems the trend continues.

Thanks for the education!

I concur, save everyone the need to ask and just set up your signature in your profile.
Cheers!
 2015 LR4 HSE Lux Aintree Green
2013 LR2 HSE Radiance Red
2007 XKR Jaguar Racing Green
2005 XJR Jaguar Racing Green
2002 S-Type R British Racing Green 

Post #236168711th Feb 2024 12:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >