Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Which North sea ferry ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Which North sea ferry ?

In August this year we are taking the D3 back into Europe camping again ( taking a couple of spare intercooler hoses this time Whistle ) But we have decided to go into France first and come back through Switzerland,Germany,Belgium or Holland instead of doing our usual into Spain. What I was thinking is to cut out the drive home from Dover was to catch a ferry to either Hull or Newcastle but my question is where would it be better to travel from ? Has anyone any experience of the above ? Thankyou.

Going to have a few days here again in Millau Thumbs Up
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #19603595th Jul 2018 4:05 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hull all the Time Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #19603635th Jul 2018 4:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hull all the Time Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #19603645th Jul 2018 4:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Aerialmark

That good you said it twice Ray thanks, where would you catch it from Belgium or holland ?

Post #19603675th Jul 2018 4:28 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

We've gone from Hull a few times. We choose the outbound ferry that arrives the earliest and the inbound one that departs the latest so that we have maximum driving time on the continent.

You don't need to return via the same port as the one you arrived at just work out which is best timing for you. You get to eat drink and sleep overnight on the ferry so it doesn't matter if you have a long day getting there.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #19603725th Jul 2018 4:38 pm
jambo27

United Kingdom 

I have done Rotterdam to Hull many times. It is a great service - good ships, plenty of food on buffet and a reasonable standard as well. I also try to board and get to the buffet as it opens. They are always restocking it but in the summer months when it is busy if you happen to come in in between refills then the choice can be a bit lacking but they do fill it up again so you just need to sit and enjoy another beer. Speaking of beer last time I sailed, Dutch Police were breathlysing every driver coming off in Holland and the British returned the favout on the way back. I guess they looking for the people that make rhe most of the parry atmosphere in the late bar.
Only drawback now id the cost has gone up considerably in the past few years. I used to be able to do a return trip with car for around £280 now its about that one way !

Post #19603995th Jul 2018 5:57 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mark, as you know I do Holland at least twice per year in my D3 and I always go from Harwich to Hook of Holland.
I do this primarily because of cost. The Harwich crossing costs around £250 return, often less. The crossing to Hull is considerably more, like £500 so I always drive down to Essex for the crossing. You can complete this via M6 + A14 in around 5 hours and as the ferry departs at 9am it'll mean a very early start but you'll beat all the traffic. Crossing time is 7 hours.
Going from Hull sounds better because it's closer but the extra crossing price, 13 hour overnight crossing and the requirement to pay for a cabin just kills the deal stone dead.

Road links from The Hook put you straight on the motorway within a few miles too.
Works for me, been doing it 20 years this year.

If the drive is the only thing you're looking to save and you have bottomless pockets, Europort to Hull will do that for you but will be very expensive compared to Hook to Harwich.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Last edited by Narpy on 5th Jul 2018 6:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19604055th Jul 2018 6:08 pm
Aerialmark

Thankyou Jambo & ian. I may go for the Rotterdam Hull crossing on the way home as there would be less driving and I can have a good sleep but may use Harwich on the way down if I don't use Dover Dunkirk. Thanks again both Thumbs Up

Post #19604175th Jul 2018 6:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >