Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

North west dealers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CRAIG R

United Kingdom 
North west dealers

First things first, my first post after spending a few days browsing & may i say what an excellent forum. Smile
Just in the process of ordering my 1st landrover ( disco 2.7tdv6 s.e)
But before i do just wondering what experiences of dealers around the north west anyone
has ? i.e customer service etc.
p.s
Hope i'm doing the right thing, been used to excellent customer service from Bmw. Getting shut of 54 plate 530d se for Disco.

Post #4923322nd Mar 2006 9:09 am
Tiger

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't know anything about the North West, but I have found dealers to be lacking all over. The service received when buying has been miles away from the brand positioning. During the buying process I just came to accept this.

I don't think Land Rover is unique however, I have had nothing but bad service from Audi dealers also, again a brand that repositioned itself and the dealers didn't quite match the expectation.

What we have to accept is that Dealers are independent of the manufacturer and are a franchise, they tend to be small business with no training programs but the obligatory agreed training in the franchise agreement, salesmen tend to bunk off training as it eats into their commission opportunities, customer service tends to suffer.

The whole dealership model is flawed as internally the Sales, Service and Parts work as separate business, service will invoice sales for a PDI etc, parts will invoice sales for that free set of rubber mats thrown into the deal, each department has its own targets and separate managers all reporting to the Dealer Principal and all invoicing each other with margin to improve their departments figures. This generates a blame and not our problem culture internally and this is of no use to the customer. Because the major motivation in a dealership is profit and not customer service, salesman are paid on commission based on profit per sale, once they get the signature the natural next step is to look for the next and not spend time on looking after customers.

Oh that turned into a bit of a rant and a bit of a generalistion but you get the idea

Post #4923722nd Mar 2006 9:37 am
Mr Bling

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hillendale of Nelson (part of the Prestons group) are excellent. No complaints whatsoever, and I've been using them for several years (I had a Disco 1 previously). In fact, the quality of the dealer and their service was partly what persuaded me to get myself a Disco3.
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 7 seater. Leather, DVD, fully colour-coded.
1970 Triumph Spitfire Mk3
1981 Triumph TR7 FHC (16V Sprint)
2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7

MTD 12.5 hp Ride-on mower!!! 

Post #4924022nd Mar 2006 9:51 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Tiger, very well put and very true. Thankfully there are a few exceptions out there that value customer service above or at least on a par with sales, unfortunately there just isn't enough of them Sad

Post #4924422nd Mar 2006 10:11 am
JMC

Scotland 
Lakeland LR

I went all the way from Aberdeen to Lakeland (Coniston) for my TDV6 SE and I am already looking forward to going back there for my 1st service. Nice family run business without all the corporate nonsense and it shows. Land Rover is their business and their customers are their bread & butter. Contrast with a multi franchise plc who don't really care about what they are selling, so long as they are selling something. Try Lakeland and tell them I sent you - watch them run for cover!! Wink

Post #4924722nd Mar 2006 10:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MX

United Kingdom 

I hve bought 2 cars from Hartwell St Helens and other than inherrent LR faults their service is always top notch. Very good service department and always willing to negotiate best prices. Sales good as well and able to nail them to the floor when doing the deal
 D3 05 SE (old one)

RRS 08 SE (new one)

formerly mxgeldar7 

Post #4926822nd Mar 2006 11:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

Depends on where in the North West you are,
Would never ever step inside James Edwards of Brock again they are ignorant tell the best of lies.
Moved my custom to Lakeland Landrover nr Ulverston the difference is chalk and cheese. Lakeland are a lovely company and make you feel very welcome.
 Just popped over from the dark side.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/index.php 

Post #4928622nd Mar 2006 12:26 pm
SN

If you're interested in Manchester dealers - Guy Salmon in Stockport have been fine with me and I have only heard good things about Williams in Manchester.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4930222nd Mar 2006 1:13 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Bought mine from Williams - great service and had a repair done at Salmon's - also great
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #4937822nd Mar 2006 5:01 pm
transman

Try Kentdale Landrover @ Kendal. Same ownership as Lakeland, but much much easier to get to from M6. Excellent service, friendly, nothing too much trouble, staff who really care. I have bought a good number of Discos from them, and wouldnt go elsewhere, despite using the dutch auction method if I`ve had to.

Cant recommend them too highly- beats your city dealers with their high prices every time !

Post #4941222nd Mar 2006 7:29 pm
horton_graham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

although I live quiet close to Chester, I've never been impressed with JAmes Edwards in Chester.
I bought my 06 S from JAmes Edwards in Brock, same name different location.
I've been very pleased so far.
Sorry to see that they have had a very negative on this forum already.
Giles the salesman was very helpful to me.

Post #4942422nd Mar 2006 8:18 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Transman - Are you sure they are the same owners as Lakeland?? I've heard different, but remember - I'm a tourist! I'm sure one bloke said he went from Kentdale to Lakeland any enjoyed the difference..... Different companies methinks..... Anyone???

Last edited by JMC on 22nd Mar 2006 8:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #4942522nd Mar 2006 8:22 pm
horton_graham

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

although I live quiet close to Chester, I've never been impressed with JAmes Edwards in Chester.
I bought my 06 S from JAmes Edwards in Brock, same name different location.
I've been very pleased so far.
Sorry to see that they have had a very negative on this forum already.
Giles the salesman was very helpful to me.

Post #4942622nd Mar 2006 8:25 pm
lancsamb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

my own experience is the Hillendale Land Rover of Nelson really treat you very well indeed. Sales and after sales very good. I got telephone calls from service manager some times after my car had been in to make sure I was happy with them. They really did seem to care. My next car came from James Edwards of Brock who really dont seem to care at all. No customer service at all just lack lustre really. Parts manager useless , (personal experience) . Buy all my parts now through this forum now anyway. Next car will go back to Hillendale.
Nuf said
 Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6 S 7 seat Automatic
Zambezi Silver my second love 

Post #4946122nd Mar 2006 10:25 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Lloyds of Carlisle have a very strong customer care culture and their customers keep coming back for more. They come and collect my car for service (about 50 miles away) and leave me a D3 to play with whilst they have mine. Wouldn't dream of going anywhere else....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #4948022nd Mar 2006 11:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >