Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

NOT the sunroof drains
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
NOT the sunroof drains

Having kept my sunroof drains clear regularly for the last few years I was annoyed to get in the car this morning and find water dripping on the satnav screen etc from a soaking wet headlining around the interior lights panel and all across the front along the top of the windscreen, classic blocked sunroof drain symptoms.

The car was parked on my drive pointing downhill and even in really heavy downpours it has not leaked in years, we've had constant light rain since the middle of the night, but nothing unusual.

Got the car in my garage this afternoon, opened the sunroof expecting to see a tray full of water but it was bone dry.

So to see which side was blocked I persuaded Mrs Nasher to pour a jug of water in either side whilst I kept an eye on the lower wing corners.
Both sides flowed very freely and are not blocked.

Even so I pulled the air inlet cover off and checked that side which was fine, and did the horrible job of getting my arm up inside the plastic front wheelarch liner to check the other side.

The headliner is soaking wet just at the very front, with no sign of dampness any further back, I've had the interior lights panel out and felt around as far as I can reach but can't feel any dampness anywhere except the very front.
I didn't even drive home in the rain yesterday, so it's not been driven around the side of the screen, and the inside of the screen wasn't wet this morning.

Any ideas where else to look?

Thanks

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #173289112th Nov 2016 5:51 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Maybe the sunroof seal itself Question
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #173289412th Nov 2016 5:59 pm
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had a leak from the fixed glass roof panel bond on mine, took me years to find where the water was coming from. As a last resort, I got a small sprayable can of wax oil and sprayed Between the glass edge and roof, any excess was wiped off. Leak fixed.
Just my experience. Thumbs Up

Lee

Post #173327513th Nov 2016 1:44 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Top windscreen seal broken down?

Post #173335213th Nov 2016 5:10 pm
Nasher

Thanks Gents, will have a better look at the top of the windscreen, although I think it's lower than where I'm getting water in the car.

It could be running forward from the glass roof panel I suppose, so will also check that in the daylight.

Nasher
Post #173413114th Nov 2016 11:36 pm
Nasher

Thought I'd cured this Crying or Very sad

Despite heavy rain over the last two weeks the inside of the car has been as dry.

We didn't even have any rain overnight at all, just a lot of Due/Condensation on the outside of the car.

Popped into work early this morning and about a mile away from home the radio went off with a pop, the sat nav screen went blank, and I noticed there was a pool of water in the tray in front of the sat nav screen. The headliner was soaked above it.

I dried it all out when I got to work, but had to drive to a meeting in Surrey.

On leaving work the Sat nav screen came to life, and the head unit screen was fully functional, but I didn't have any sound.

However I stopped for Coffee 10 mins later and when I got back in the car everything was back to normal, so I listened to the radio, and made a note to pull it all apart later in the day to dry it all out better.

However on leaving my meeting the satnav screen would only display 'LAND ROVER' and although the head unit screen works and displays everything I've got no sound.
It's now doing the same despite a hard reset and clearing all fault codes with my Nanocom.

As it looks like a MOST issue I stripped the head unit out when I got home to look at the MOST cables.

With the radio and satnav screen hanging out the dash and the ignition on I noticed a Red light inside the unit and when I unclipped the MOST connector from the back of the satnav screen there was a red light at the cable from the head unit. BUT it went out almost immediately and the Red light inside the head unit also went out.

Disconnecting the MOST cable from the back of the head unit I can't see a red light coming out the back of the unit.

So, I'm assuming some water has got down inside the head unit, and although it worked for an houyr this morning it's now Censored .

Anyone got a CD465 they want to sell?

Or, and it's a big ask, is anyone a reasonable drive from Portsmouth brave enough to let me try swapping my head unit for theirs to see before I splash out?

Thanks

Nasher.
Post #173987926th Nov 2016 2:02 pm
Nasher

So

Still trying to get to the bottom of what's been effect by the water ingress, but in the mean time I also can't find out where the water is getting in.

Been all over the car with a hose several times and can't find any sign of water inside.

Which is daft considering the amount that got in last Saturday just from Condensation forming on the roof.

Nasher.
Post #17424051st Dec 2016 12:32 pm
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Could it possibly be tracking around from the rear of the sunroof?
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #17424101st Dec 2016 12:44 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Maybe not relevant but I had it where water leaked into the car via the roof rail fixing bolts on a D2, loosened them off big wadge of silicone tightened down and never gave any more issues.

Post #17424401st Dec 2016 2:21 pm
Nasher

Thanks guys, I need to spend some more time looking at it.

I'll have a look at the roof rail fixings, although I don't think they go right through on a D3.

The rear sunroof was a thought, but on both occasions it's happened the car has been on my drive, which is quite steep, pointing downhill, so all the water that gets past the sunroof should flow to the front two drains.

My favorite at the moment has to be the windscreen to body seal.

Nasher.
Post #17425321st Dec 2016 5:52 pm
Nasher

Had another look at this frustrating problem over the weekend.

Firstly I tried the sunroof drains again and all appears OK.
They flow freely, and if it was the pipes leaking further down the water wouldn’t make it’s way back up to the centre of the headlining.

Are there any other known faults where water from around the sunroof misses the channel which directs the water to the drains in the corners?

I stripped out the centre and forward interior light units to give us a little bit of a view under the headlining.
My son and I stayed in the car with a torch looking all around through the holes whilst Mrs Nasher hosed the car down for a while resulting in not a drop of water entering the cabin that we could see. We didn’t end up with any water pooling where it has previously, and feeling up under the edges of the headliner all around we couldn’t feel any dampness.

Bearing mind the last leak, which resulted in a pool of water, was just from heavy condensation, I can’t understand how we can’t replicate it.

We tried concentrating the hose all around the glass roof, plus roof rails and cover strips over the front lower section.
We didn’t get any leaks here, but I’m convinced gravity makes it impossible for any water getting in here to make it’s way to the centre of the headlining without at least showing a damp spot further back.

The obvious place which would result in a pool of water where it collects is the seal across the top between body and windscreen.
If you run your fingers along the top of the screen just behind the headlining you can feel any unevenness in the sealant, and from the hole in the headlining for the forward interior light unit you can see that the lip of the body is just inside the headlining, so if any water got past this sealant it would in theory run along the lip to the lowest point and drip exactly where the pool of water collects.

The obvious next step is to get the screen replaced, but for the time being I’ve run a skim of clear sealant across the joint between the body and the plastic trim across the top of the screen. It’s not something I wanted to do, but if I don’t get any more leaks it will prove I need to have the screen changed. I do have a couple of un-repairable stone chips in the screen, and haven’t claimed for one in 10yrs, so may well end up doing it anyway.

Next time it rains I’ll have to make a flask of coffee, get a good book, and sit in the car checking for leaks occasionally.

Nasher.
Post #17443695th Dec 2016 10:13 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Are you sure its not where the drain tube attaches to the sunroof tray? Could be a loose pipe or even a cracked tray. If it was loose or cracked, some water may leak whilst the rest drains normally.

Post #17443785th Dec 2016 10:21 am
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nasher, you are describing exactly the situation I find myself in with our D3. For the life of me I can't figure out where the hell the water is getting in. I've already run sealant across the top of the windscreen seal which has made no difference at all!

With mine, the water runs along the lip/crease at the very front of the headlining, so it comes in on the passenger side but drips down the driver's side. I'll be Censored if I can find where its actually getting in though!

Will check out Gareth's suggestions and revisit the sunroof tray and drains again...

Fingers crossed we can figure this out!
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #17443905th Dec 2016 10:38 am
Nasher

Thanks guys

I’ll have a look at the sunroof drains again, but the position of them in the corners makes me think the water would drain down the sides instead of travelling diagonally across the headlining to the middle. It’s possible though, so I think I’ll have to try and get my hand up inside the headlining to the ends of the tubes whilst a helper pours water in the sunroof channel.

Oh, and wizbongre, it’s no real consolation for either of us, but I’m glad it’s not just me.

Nasher
Post #17445105th Dec 2016 3:07 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Remove the grab handles, sun visors, a post trims, and you can pull down the side of the headlining to see the connections to the trays. Get swmbo to pour water in whilst you shine a torch in there and have a look.

Post #17445905th Dec 2016 6:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >