Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Number Plates
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ron Dunbar

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Number Plates

I'm hoping to get delivery of my Discovery this weekend. Don't like dealer plates on my cars, so I'm supplying my own.

Has anyone got any hints, tips or suggestions regarding size and mounting location of number plates?

Has anyone ever noticed that there are no front number plates, only rear plates on all of the pictures on the Land Rover website and brochures ?
 Ron Dunbar

Grey D4 TDV6 HSE
Skoda TDi Roomster Scout 

Post #1350122nd Aug 2005 3:40 pm
BN

England 
Re: Number Plates

Ron Dunbar wrote:
I'm hoping to get delivery of my Discovery this weekend. Don't like dealer plates on my cars, so I'm supplying my own.

Has anyone got any hints, tips or suggestions regarding size and mounting location of number plates?

Has anyone ever noticed that there are no front number plates, only rear plates on all of the pictures on the Land Rover website and brochures ?

No doubt winger will verify, but you ain't got a lot of choice with number plates, they are defined by law

NUMBER PLATES
The index mark and registration number must be clearly shown at the front and rear of every motor vehicle (except works trucks, unless these are required to be used on the road between sites, etc). The description and size must conform to the official specification and all number plates must be clearly legible from distances as set out in the regulations at front and rear and the rear plate must be illuminated at night.
In the case of a trailer (including a broken-down vehicle being towed) the registration number of the towing vehicle must appear on the rear of the vehicle on tow.
Vehicles first registered from 1 January 1973, including trailers attached to such vehicles, not exceeding 3050kg unladen weight, must be fitted with reflex-reflecting number plates. The background of the plate only must be of reflex-reflecting material and must be white for the front plate and yellow for the rear with letters and figures in black on both plates. Each plate must bear the British Standard Specification No. "BS AU 145a: 1971".
For vehicles first registered prior to 1 January 1973, weighing under 3050kg unladen, heavy motor vehicles whenever registered (which have to conform with the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (SI 1989 No. 1796) Schedule 19 (see below), agricultural machines and works trucks, the number plates may comprise white, silver or light grey letters and figures indelibly inscribed upon, or attached to, a black surface on a flat rectangular plate or on a flat rectangular unbroken surface forming part of the vehicle.
Section 17 in Part 2 of the Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001 came into force on 1 January 2003. Under this section, all number plate suppliers in England and Wales, excluding suppliers who only supply plates for newly-registered vehicles, must register their details with DVLA, The Register of Number Plate Suppliers, Swansea SA99 1DB. The registration fee is a once and for all fee of £40.
Vehicles first registered on and from 1 September 2001 must be fitted with number plates which comply with British Standard Specification BS AU 145d, or any other relevant standard or specification recognised in any EEA State. The characters making up the registration mark must be of the specified size in the prescribed font as contained in Schedule 2 to the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 (SI 2001 No. 561) as amended by the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) Regulations 2002 (SI 2002 No. 2687). This prohibits the use of a number plate with a patterned or textured background and makes special provisions for certain important vehicles in relation to the size and spacing of characters on the number plate. This requirement also applies to vehicles where replacement plates have to be fitted prior to 1 September 2001.
The Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment) Regulations 2001 (SI 2001 No. 560) allows the rear number plate to incorporate the international distinguishing sign of the UK together with the EU emblem (as contained in EC Council Regulation 2411/98, even though the reflective material is not red in colour (see also "Reflecting Material"under Lighting Requirements).
Note: The tractive unit of an articulated vehicle should be fitted with reflex-reflecting number plates if it is used on the road without a semi-trailer attached.

Post #1351522nd Aug 2005 5:12 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Lawd, what could I possibly add, BN!! Shocked

I was going to say one on the front and one on the back..... Wink

Your dealer will only attach them to the "spaces" provided and will not attach anything which is illegal. You don't even have a choice with shape for the rear - the lighting is part of the law, and so you are stuck with a rectangular one (though an oblong would look pretty weird frankly).

We're probably not being creative enough for you, but it's a rather mundane subject, where there is little room for imaginative application.

Post #1351822nd Aug 2005 6:06 pm
BN

England 

Winger wrote:
Lawd, what could I possibly add, BN!! Shocked

I was going to say one on the front and one on the back..... Wink

Your dealer will only attach them to the "spaces" provided and will not attach anything which is illegal. You don't even have a choice with shape for the rear - the lighting is part of the law, and so you are stuck with a rectangular one (though an oblong would look pretty weird frankly).

We're probably not being creative enough for you, but it's a rather mundane subject, where there is little room for imaginative application.

Just thought I would fill the space with facts and beat you. Wink Number plates are standard and setby law, anything out of the BS, is illegal end of story, sorry Ron.

Post #1352322nd Aug 2005 6:29 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ron,

One other gem for you: the plate should also show the name and postcode of the supplier........

Post #1352722nd Aug 2005 6:31 pm
BN

England 

Winger wrote:
Ron,

One other gem for you: the plate should also show the name and postcode of the supplier........

and the BS standard Very Happy just having the last say

Post #1352922nd Aug 2005 6:37 pm
Pelyma

England 

I saw a D3 with a long rear plate it looked bloody awful
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1355122nd Aug 2005 8:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1