Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Off road in the Nicolet National Forest
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jzk

United States 
Off road in the Nicolet National Forest

Like you, I love my LR3, but I have always had this uneasiness in the back of my mind as to how frail it is with its air suspension and computer controlled everything.

Well, I just returned from the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest ("pipeline"), and let me tell you, I punished this truck in every possible way, and it just asked for more.

Pictures of day one:

http://www.pbase.com/jzk/pipeline_spring_2005&page=all

We waded through pretty deep water, we plowed through mud and muck, we climbed rocks, we climbed hills, and traversed gulches, and the LR3 held its own. Sure I got stuck 4 times. Sure I had the routine "transmission fault - limited to select gears only" but who hasn't? And it wasn't anything a reboot couldn't cure.

I also winched that baby on its belly in a mud hole for 20 feet. Its a good thing I had that Black Rat manual winch, or she would still be there, and I would still be walking out. Black Rat doesn't tell you that winching the LR3 20 feet through muck will be the workout of your life, but we did get her out. After about 250 heaves on that bar, $3300 was sounding quite reasonable for the LR3 Warn winch. Don't get me wrong, the Black Rat saved us, but I now see the advantage to just pushing a button, so long as you are winching forward, which we were. Had I known it was goign to be that much work, I would have winched backwards and made another run of it. If I do get the LR3 Warn winch, you can bet that I will plow into the deepest mud hole that I can find and I will winch myself out with it while listening to classical music sipping a nice bottled water from my cooler.

I used my shackles, I used my Axe, shovel, Warn gloves, tree strap, and even tried the recovery anchor. I couldn't get the anchor to do more than just plow a nice trench, however. The tree was definitely the way to go. And, my super yanker recovery rope proved to be the recovery strap of choice.

I let a buddy drive my Kia Sportage, and the third time I got stuck, the little Kia was able to yank me out. But the 4th time, the Kia coudln't do squat. We tried one last yank, but watching the Kia sling shot back at me made me realize how stuck I was.

I didn't try the Snow Claws because on the first day, we were in a big group, and I didn't want to hold them up messing with hokey nonsense. And, my claws were a little big, so I need to cut them a bit. I bet they would have been very helpful, but there were times when we drove on the highway to the next trail, and, I don't know if the claws could have handled that.

After the first day, when we were driving back, my rotor was giving out the most ear wrenching whine that you ever heard. Finally, I pulled over, and I must have cleared it. With those big rotors, I might consider one of those plastic pressure sprayers that you use for bug spray. I could spray off my rotors now and then when they got to gritty.

And, let's face it, after getting stuck in the mud a few times, one realizes that momentum is you friend. Unless, of course, you are headed toward something you don't want to be headed toward. Then momentum is not your friend. And, speed just equals more punishment.

Also, with the stock Wranglers, I was slip sliding everywhere. It was hard to keep out of the big ruts. Sometimes, it was just easier to ride them, but then I would be taking a larger risk of getting stuck, but minimizing the chances of sliding off the trail. The Kia, in places, had the advantage of a unique track size and could go in places we couldn't. There were also places the LR3 struggled through that the Kia and a Freelander didn't have a chance.

There was one really difficult Mud crossing where only the leader in a disco, the hummer, and my LR3 made it without yanking. The other leader in his disco, the range rover, the 04 disco, the freelander and the kia all had to be yanked through. The leader looked a little shocked to see the LR3 walk through just like the hummer did. And that with those slicks that Land Rover calls "mud and snow."

Now there has been lots of H2 downing on the boards and definitely in the land rover club. However, while it is too wide for me, and I just don't like the field of view from the drivers position, I must say it is one sweet off road vehicle. It never got stuck, and it tried everything. It did get a small scratch when making its way through a gultch, but that is the price for size. And a special thanks to that hummer guy for insisting that I try that gultch because I wasn't going to do it. Off road photos never seem to capture what it is really like, but I am trying.

I give the LR3 an enthusiastic thumbs up. Day two to follow. This post was also posted in another forum, so I hope not to offend with its duplicity.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #257820th Apr 2005 3:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wineman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

What sort of tyres did you have on?
 2017 Disco5 First Edition(On Order)
2013 Disco4 HSE Luxury
2012 Disco4 HSE
2005 Disco03 TDV6 HSE
2002 Disco02 TD5 ES
1987 Defender 90(MOD)
2002 Fendt 180 Tractor
1950 Massey Ferguson Tractor 

Post #258120th Apr 2005 8:25 am
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Excellent photos really appreciate them. You certainly have some fun!

Post #259220th Apr 2005 4:33 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Excellent photos. You brave man Laughing .

The suspension errors are annoying though, it should not do it. Don't just accept it.

Post #259320th Apr 2005 6:35 pm
jzk

United States 

"The suspension errors are annoying though, it should not do it."

Actually, it was transmission errors:)

I agree that we should not accept it. We need a "Reset" button for those codes that aren't cleared out by a restart. Or, we need a cable and some software to get into the computer. I used to do that with my S4.
 LR3 HSE

Post #259520th Apr 2005 6:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ahhh that'll be the gearbox then Wink Whatever it was I hope you can get it fixed. Looks like you had a great trip.

Post #259720th Apr 2005 6:49 pm
jzk

United States 

The thing is that there is no problem. It is the second transmission fault that I have had, and they both went away with a restart.
 LR3 HSE

Post #259920th Apr 2005 7:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >