Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Off again 😎 on Road Trip 2018!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 28 of 28 <123 ... 262728
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Great to see you arrived home ok. Enjoyed reading about the trip. Given me some ideas for a jaunt in 2019 although my old Dee will be approaching 200k miles by then, so perhaps that would be tempting fate.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #196184510th Jul 2018 8:43 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

She’ll love it. No reason why not, just think what you’d need to do is worst case happens. Make sure you get the best recovery cover, cheap is deffo not best. The more time you see “unlimited” in the details the better, it would get very expensive very quickly without decent cover. Hopefully you won’t use it but that’s what insurance is for. Thumbs Up

Post #196184910th Jul 2018 9:07 am
Parky63

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Welcome back and good to see a fellow Frexinet fan. SWMBO quaff of choice Thumbs Up

David
 2006 D3 HSE Buckingham Blue
Silicone Intercooler Pipe
MAP Sensor cleaned
N/S Drain Tube Elbow 

Post #196190510th Jul 2018 1:04 pm
biskit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Del Exclamation that was a fantastic road trip to follow. Glympse made it more enjoyable, but the pics and your write up just kept me looking for more the next morning. Better than last years fiasco. Big Cry Thank your SWMBO for letting it happen for us. Thumbs Up
 Mantec sump guard.
Prospeed tree slider/steps.
Flack duel battery system.
18"Compomotive/AT3 tyres
Brembo 4pot front brakes 

Post #196197110th Jul 2018 5:31 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Great pics as usual Thumbs Up and looked like a nice Jant Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #196199210th Jul 2018 7:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Parky63 wrote:
Welcome back and good to see a fellow Frexinet fan. SWMBO quaff of choice Thumbs Up

David

Especially at Channel Tunnel prices, €5 a bottle. Thumbs Up

Post #196212911th Jul 2018 9:00 am
DSL

Ukraine 

biskit wrote:
Better than last years fiasco.:

I was going to go to near where all that happened and stay in Harstad, where she’d have ended up. Glad I didn’t though, wild campervanning at Batterie Dietl was one of the highlights of the trip. Thumbs Up

But even there the cruise ships were stalking me!! Shocked

Post #196213111th Jul 2018 9:03 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Was asked by PM about costs, thought nothing here I wouldn’t say in open forum so fill yer boots if anyone else is interested/mad enough/needing to find themselves/experience the Arctic in summer. Any detailed questions, fire away. Thumbs Up

Not cheap! Food is really expensive, prob 3 times what we’d pay. Also sometimes the supermarket prices are on LCD displays in a row above or below lots of items so difficult to know what stuff costs as it’s all in local lingo. I can work out some of the Swedish but none of the Finnish. Forget buying booze there, that’s something you’re much cheaper taking with you. Also a lot more pre-packaged food cf fresh, well compared with UK. I took a lot of food with me, thinking of wild camping, but brought most of it back as I stayed a lot more in hotels so main meal was breakfast.

Hotels varied from ÂŁ60 to ÂŁ110, getting more expensive generally further north. Plus I earned enough Scandic points for 2 free nights at the end of the trip.

Wild camping is pretty straight forward, find a place and spray up for bugs. Lots and lots and lots of places to camp, right by lakes or rivers or the sea, it’s a case of seek and yea shall find. Camping in campsites, lots of them and prob ~£15 a night for one with car and tent, more with more peeps. I used mostly hotels mainly because it’s nice to get a good nights sleep and breakfast, plus gets away from the temptation to keep going to find the “right” spot. Also helps with the 24/24 daylight, which can really mess with your mind. One night I woke up and was getting ready to get up then noticed it was 2:25am.

Fuel was a big cost. You can work out where is the cheapest ahead of time country wise, ie fuel up to Germany where it’s cheapest, stock up leaving Germany, leaving Denmark, enough to get to Finland, and stock up before Norway. But even in my 2 weeks fuel prices varied massively in Sweden as I came back at the start of a holiday (I think) and the really cheap stations I’d clocked on the way up were up to expensive level, indeed as was virtually everywhere. It’s a case of fill up when you see cheap stuff, especially in Norway where prices vary massively. I had tanked up to Arjeplog in Sweden on the way back but passed a Circle K station with diesel at much cheapness (cheaper than I would see in Sweden) so tanked up there. German fuel prices are available live through 1-2-3 Tanken app, Sweden through some websites, as Denmark, and Finland through the Fuel Fellows app. No data for Norway anywhere, plus that can vary on a daily basis and through the day.

Road trips to Scandinavia are expensive, purely due to the distances involved and the costs of food & accomodation, but those can be kept to a minimum. Using a Halifax Clarity card saved me prob £80 (2/3 tank of fuel) as no commission and good rated. You can go there via Baltics, big variability in ferry to Helsinki crossings but slow ones usually pretty cheap, plus cheap Polish and Estonian fuel. And hotels are cheap. But it’s 400 miles more driving.

Count on 4 days driving, 3 if really pushing it with two drivers, to get to near the top, the best bits. Just a thought but it’s could work one driving the car up & the rest flying up & RVing up there. Would be via Oslo or Helsinki but do-able.

Hope helps. Thumbs Up

Post #196283613th Jul 2018 9:13 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

Thanks D Thumbs Up
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #196296313th Jul 2018 2:02 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

You know you want to. Thumbs Up

Post #196296913th Jul 2018 2:10 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Yes we do, and more importantly the day is coming closer that we'll be able to do it too Thumbs Up
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #196297813th Jul 2018 2:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 28 of 28 <123 ... 262728
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >