Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Offroading this weekend - Suspension Observation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Offroading this weekend - Suspension Observation

I took the LR3 out for some fun in the dirt yesterday, had a blast, and as usual impressed all of the jeep-driving meatheads who think that the new rover is a yuppie larvae hauler. Even had to tow out a jeep that trashed its transfer case trying to go up a hill.

Anyways, while waiting for said jeep to come down the mountain, the rover threw a suspension fault. This also has the wonderful side affect of disabling the terrain response. So, after a round of verbal thrashing, I shut everything down and re-started. Everything was fine for a minute or two and then it did it again.

I had pretty much given up hope on the suspension, when one of my friends noticed that the car was trying to level itself when it threw the fault. Turns out we were at a sideways slant, maybe 15 or 20 degrees waiting for this jeep. We found a flatter spot to re-start, and sure enough, no faults.

We re-tested this by driving back onto the slope, and sure enough about 2 minutes later we had a suspension fault.

Doesn't it seem odd that the software would want to level the car even when off-road at such an angle? If nothing else, not throwing a fault and completely disabling the heart and soul of the off-road capability would be nice. Just try to level to the best of its ability then stop.

Maybe this is something that LR could incorporate into the next software load? Has anyone else noticed this?

Post #1958325th Sep 2005 12:11 am
BN

England 

That is very interesting because even when a car is placed on a lift to change tyres it shows a suspension fault if only the front or rear is lifted. Sounds like a similar situation. It has to be the sensors telling the software that they are not level and the engine is off which means it is default parked so self level, hence the error.

I have not tried it, but parking on a steep angle may result in the same.

Post #1958525th Sep 2005 7:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >