DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Offside Drive shaft removal - Issues!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Adzbaby

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Offside Drive shaft removal - Issues!!

Hi there,

I was in the midst of changing the offside lower ball joint. I had knocked the drive shaft out of the hub assembly, did the upper ball joint and the track rod joint, knocked out the lower one and was removing the hub when the drive shaft got caught and was pulled out from the mid joint on the shaft where it's bolted to the chassis.

Now I've had this happen before and I only remembered after it happened this time Sad , should have been more careful, but despite that I've pulled it out it seems to have far too much jiggle and play, so I want to remove the whole shaft out to A) undo the boot and put the outer part of the shaft back in but also to see if this joint is knackered.

So the question is as I am undoing the bolts where the shaft is bolted to the gearbox I can see GBox oil, I haven't disconnected all the 4 bolts yet as I wanted to find out if the shaft is just bolted to the outside of the sealed box or will I expect the shaft end to come out with all the gbox oil (like in the olden days)??? If the shaft does go into the box am I opening a can of worms etc?

Any details would be really appreciated.

Adam.

Post #63725317th Apr 2010 11:20 am
Adzbaby

Just spoke to local dealer. Apparently the shaft is bolted to an outer Diff assembly. So that's less disconcerting. But same sort of question applies, if I pull this out, I'm assuming a load of Diff oil is going to drain out, how easy is this to refill once the shaft is back in?

Post #63725717th Apr 2010 11:32 am
Adzbaby

Right, perservered with it all, I was just being slightly over cautious and bit of a gimp. Nowt was/is wrong with the shaft, with the hub all back on etc. she doesn't jiggle and is all good.

All sorted now offside ball joint done and everything is back together and road tested. Still a tiny bit of knocking at low speed over the bumps but nothing that I can't live with.

Both Lower Joints done, EGRs Blanked and OS trackrod done. Hopefully once its tracked on Monday she'll be all good and square.

Right I am finished and done with talking to myself.
Mr. Green

Cheers and enjoy the sunshine.

Post #63729417th Apr 2010 2:26 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Glad you got it sorted without our help Wink

Did you change your arb bushes or put the rubber spacer in them? Usual helps to cure some of the knocking. Part is onl about £4 each.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #63730117th Apr 2010 2:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Adzbaby

Well I had a local guy do the track rod end and the ARB front and rear. Just because I didn't have enough time to get it all done meself. I'll have to check to see if he just put the spacers in or replaced the whole bush.

It's isn't a knock as such anymore, nothing is felt through the steering nor the chassis when going over lumpy ground so I'm satisfied. I'm starting to enjoy working on the D3, there is so much room, I have done citroens and audis before and cramped and poor design just isn't enough of phrase. I hope I don't have to get under it again so soon though.

Just waiting for my 20inch RRS HSE wheels to arrive tomorrow and get her tracked and away we go.

I showed my wife Pete's (BAS) D3 - D4 conversion, she liked it a lot, too much!!! Wink

Post #63784418th Apr 2010 9:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >