DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Oh. oh.. 33" x 12.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
disco4x4au

Australia 

Govette wrote:
Hey Gordon,

With the Eastern Rim, how much weight was in the rim outer, and how much was due to the center you made up? I'd still prefer steel, but not if I'm gonna start breaking halfshafts or CVs every 10 minutes.
How's the development going with the GMAX alloys?
Cheers
Gov

I don't know what the weight split was. But Eastern WW rang me up the other day and we've come to the conclusion that it's not going to be possible to use the 18" outers they have to produce a legal rim.

If you want to be kept up to date on the GMAX rims, send me your email address via PM and I'll add you to the notification list.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #68582725th Aug 2010 12:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Govette

Australia 

Thanks Gordon, PM on it's way.
Cheers
Gov

Post #68585125th Aug 2010 7:20 am
Govette

Australia 

Roveribis, mate it sounds like you've got it all in hand then. As long as you're using the shortened rods as well as the spacers, you shouldn't loose any travel, it'll just be 2 inches lower right through the range of levels. As mentioned earlier though, the only real concern will be the CV angles at full drop in extended and super extended mode. As long as you take that into account and adjust your right foot in those situations, I can't see any huge issues. Can't wait to see the results mate, again good on ya for giving it a crack.

Cheers

Gov

Post #68585425th Aug 2010 7:45 am
roveribis

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

So here is a quick pic. of the first time the car is back on it's 'feet'... (sliders are not installed)

Does look like the rear is too high???? I have the toddco rods at the highest setting, so I could bring the back down a little.
I still have the problem that going access mode, bumps the car to extended mode... It might be the front hitting the bump-stops, but I really do not want to bring up the car more than needed....

Comments?
 -------------------
2008 LR3
ARB bumper, winch, sealed Snorkle, dual battery, Rover Specialties sliders, whole car custom skid plates, 33" tires, ARB air compressor, CB radio, etc... 

Post #68618726th Aug 2010 12:51 am
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Sharp, maybe bring the rear down a tad.

Is that how it senses when to go into extended mode, by the bumpstops? Confused Not doubting you though.
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #68618826th Aug 2010 12:55 am
roveribis

Nope.
I just think that hitting the bumpstops simulates hitting an object underneath.
Someone mentioned that during the access mode process the computer is more sensitive to hitting anything... It makes sense that the computer is 'watching out' for conditions that may need it to stop the current action.

I'm no clear on The actual way the car can tell if it's run aground during normal use. Maybe someone can explain??
 -------------------
2008 LR3
ARB bumper, winch, sealed Snorkle, dual battery, Rover Specialties sliders, whole car custom skid plates, 33" tires, ARB air compressor, CB radio, etc... 

Post #68619026th Aug 2010 1:26 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The D3 measures the pressure in the suspension airbags and if that meets some criteria it goes in extended mode. It knows the difference between crossaxled, going up a very steep hill and being grounded, maybe to do with the total weight i.e. total pressure on all airbags.
It is a clever system because if you have the D3 standing in off-road height with the engine running and you lift the front with a trolly jack it doesn't go in extended, but if you have the jack under the front and you switch from off-road to normal height it senses the jack and it goes to extended mode.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #68620126th Aug 2010 7:03 am
roveribis

Thanks Roel,

So I guess then that having the toddco spacers, if it reaches the bottom of travel, the air pressure would drop since the weight would then be supported by the bum-stops...

Hmmm... I was having a discussion with a buddy the other day and maybe you know the answer. Is the air pressure in the strut 'constant' if we keep the same weight on it? Regardless of height? I thought that changing the volume of the chamber (height) would make a difference in pressure.... My buddy thinks the pressure remains the same, is just a change in volume of air...
 -------------------
2008 LR3

Post #68624526th Aug 2010 10:01 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

When in off road height, the air suspension becomes cross linked. I would have thought that the pressure would remain constant, but the volume in each bag would change?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #68625026th Aug 2010 10:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
roveribis

Hmm.. But when I put one of the front tires on a rock (16"), I do not see that corner letting air go and thus keeping the car straight. I guess it would be too much to ask?
 -------------------
2008 LR3

Post #68640226th Aug 2010 5:58 pm
roveribis

Well... Here are pics on the on-going project. Plan to finish this weekend.
I'm still having problems with the toddco spacers and hitting the bump,stops.
I've decided to cut them down 3/4".... So would make them 1 1/4"... Which is really what I need to lower the bump-stops to compensate for the 33" tire (in case the car goes into limp-home-mode).... The lift will remain the same since I will keep the rods at the same length...

-------------------
2008 LR3

Post #68653426th Aug 2010 10:47 pm
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Looks great.

On these can we do drop cradle lifts?
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #68654826th Aug 2010 11:51 pm
Govette

Australia 

Hey mate,
Looks fantastic, and sitting great with that wide stance. On the spacers, I'd be more tempted to adjust the various 'rest positions' of the suspension up by shortening the rods than cutting the spacers down. If you consider how much 'extra' tire you have on top, if you lift the overall suspension by 2" that exactly compensates, and due to the spacers being 2", returns the airspring assembly to exactly the same levels as before. (If that makes as much sense as I think it doesn't!!!!!)
How you doing with rubbing front and rear?
Have a great weekend mate, cheers
Gov

Post #68656427th Aug 2010 5:58 am
roveribis

Hey Govette,

The rods are already at the shortest I have ever used.... I'm thinking that 2" travel of the airspring assembly, does not translate to just 2" of travel at the wheel. Geometry of the suspension has to be taken into consideration. The air-spring is not at 90 degrees and sitting on top of the bearings.... If my suspicions are correct, then the bump-stops got lowered enough that I would need a lot more than 2" of compensation with the rods....

So I figured. The tires are 2.2" taller than the stock ones. That translates to 1.1" extra in radius, and thus that is the minimum I would need to lower the bump stops. Now, unless i figure out the formula of movement of wheel vs air-spring movement, I do not know exactly how much spacer I need....

But, given the experience of hitting the bump-stops during normal driving even with very short rods (and having the car go into extended mode if access mode is selected), I feel safe in shaving 3/4" from the spacers. The overall height will remain the same, since the rods will not change....

Does this make sense? I'm about to do the cutting today.

Rubbing is an issue I started getting ready for before purchasing the tires.

Wheels: redbourne 18"x9" wheels with an offset that gave me 1.25" more clearance from the front wishbone.
Now with the 12.50 tires, I have about 1/8" left!

Rear: I did the mod in the rear and cut-off the extra body lip.
Had to re-route the rear heater lines (running engine coolant)...

Front: Cut off about 1" from the part of the chassis extension that protrudes out.

The last problem with the rubbing I will have to solve, is the plastic wheel arch covers. These will be a problem. Have a couple of ideas for this, but it's the last to be worked on...
 -------------------
2008 LR3

Post #68661727th Aug 2010 10:26 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Great project going on and will be great to see some of teh stuff you'll be getting through off road Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #68662427th Aug 2010 10:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >