Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Oil filter cooler replacement and supply.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JHSnow

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Oil filter cooler replacement and supply.

Looks like i am going to have to replace the oil filter cooler assembly as there is scum in the coolant bottle. D4 2011 Engine is TDV6 2.7.
Can this work be done without removing either intake manifold? Is there a link to a video or write up on the job?
Has anyone used one of the aftermarket units? I was looking at the Brit-car one.

Post #207243630th Jul 2019 10:17 pm
Geoffx19

Australia 

Did you find a link or method to do this and did it fix your problem? I'm chasing a solution as well.

Post #207739420th Aug 2019 12:14 pm
Geoffx19

Australia 

I just finished the change out. Looks like scum in waterbottle is better but still early days.
There are a few gotchas for those considering doing the job at home:

- Don't do it unless you enjoy automotive puzzles. It took me all day to pull it apart and about 40 minutes to re-assemble. Next time would be heaps faster.
- you need to remove glow plugs OR risk damaging them. That bracket on the passenger side at the back that blocks access to take the glow plug harness unbolts. Unbolt it instead of trying to work around it.
- oil / air separator at the back of the V lifts up. Remove the oil filter and you'll see a guide in the middle of the separator. You can see a clip on the front of the plastic part that inserts into the round cast alloy hole. Theres another clip on the back opposite the front one. It'll break when you pull up OR you can try to release it. I don't think it's a problem if it breaks. I broke mine.
- cooler lifts up, comes forward then kinda rotates around the intakes on the horizontal axis. Straight up with a wiggle, forward then rotate then forward. It is vertical for the last move out.
- you need to cut the front and bottom of the passenger manifold intake to clear the cooler. <- this is tough. The round part that the filter screws into doesn't need to get through. The cuts make room for the square base of the cooler.

Good luck!

Post #207836425th Aug 2019 11:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >