Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Oil in the D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
newtolr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Oil in the D3

So it's been a busy 6 weeks since i got the D3, 4500 miles covered so far and thought i'd take the plunge and check the oil.

One must remember when it comes to computers etc I am very technical but cars are a black art, me thinks.

Anyway, found the bonnet release, opened the bonnet and found a lump of plastic, am assuming the engine is beneath it. Found the dip stick and puleed and pulled and pulled, low and behold some balls (orange) appeared and the bottom one only had oil on it. The car is left on a flat driveway, and had a cold engine.

Two weeks before I had bought the catsrol oil i was told too, it says on the packaging it's for VW and Audi but was assured by Halfords it was the right one, had taken the manual with me, and boy was it not cheep.

So, undid the black cover labelled oil and poured in slowly, only put a litre in as could not see where it went. I hope that this will be ok, will check again in a week.

So a question is if i had put too much in would it spill over whilst pouring or whilst driving, none cam out when pouring and the cover is back on.

I must say I am ever so pleased with the car except some minor faults, I have a friend who is on a 9th recall for a Merc e class.

Post #2450123rd Oct 2005 11:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

You did a wise thing as over filling is very bad. Merc are having a very bad time and we have NO problems in comparison from what I hear.

Post #2450423rd Oct 2005 12:10 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

At the Landrover Experience in Skipton one of the instructors told me that it is typical for a disco 3 to use about 2 litres of oil in their first 8,000 miles. After that oil useage is minimal. That didn't surprise me as I believe that is indeed typical. What was surprising was his explanation for why this happens. He told me that where the oil goes is into the engine block, which after a couple of thousand miles becomes porous. Once all the pores are full of oil, no more oil is consumed. Shocked

Sounds quite bizarre and unlikely to me - or am I wrong Question Question Question
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #2451323rd Oct 2005 3:51 pm
BN

England 

Smarticus wrote:
At the Landrover Experience in Skipton one of the instructors told me that it is typical for a disco 3 to use about 2 litres of oil in their first 8,000 miles. After that oil useage is minimal. That didn't surprise me as I believe that is indeed typical. What was surprising was his explanation for why this happens. He told me that where the oil goes is into the engine block, which after a couple of thousand miles becomes porous. Once all the pores are full of oil, no more oil is consumed. Shocked

Sounds quite bizarre and unlikely to me - or am I wrong Question Question Question

Not quite that simple, but it is about correct.

Post #2451723rd Oct 2005 4:48 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Smarticus wrote:

it's apparently due to the carbon fibre used in the engine absorbing oil, once saturated, the 'loss' stops  
Post #2452223rd Oct 2005 5:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

10forcash wrote:
Smarticus wrote:

it's apparently due to the carbon fibre used in the engine absorbing oil, once saturated, the 'loss' stops

Who's a clever little technician then Very Happy

Post #2452923rd Oct 2005 5:20 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

And here was me thinking the chap at Skipton was a bit nutty !

Having said that I still find the concept of carbon fibre being used in an engine slightly alien, and that it absorbs oil even more strange ......
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #2456823rd Oct 2005 7:32 pm
newtolr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

All i can say is that the inner workings of a vehicle this size worries me a lot especially with the mileage I do. To be honest i thought i would be spending a lot of time on the hard shoulder because of poor builds but am pleasantly surprised.

I am glad its a lump of plactic covering the engine, hides a lot of the worry so to speak.

I also must say that little engine and it exhaust look quite pretty tucked away near the front, have not heard it start as it's still quite warm but the dealer said I would see smoke coming out the front when it starts.

Post #2456923rd Oct 2005 7:39 pm
BN

England 

newtolr wrote:
All i can say is that the inner workings of a vehicle this size worries me a lot especially with the mileage I do. To be honest i thought i would be spending a lot of time on the hard shoulder because of poor builds but am pleasantly surprised.

I am glad its a lump of plactic covering the engine, hides a lot of the worry so to speak.

I also must say that little engine and it exhaust look quite pretty tucked away near the front, have not heard it start as it's still quite warm but the dealer said I would see smoke coming out the front when it starts.

With a great deal of luck and help from a few guys on the site, plus the manufacturer, that little engine (heater) will be working at my command by the end of this week Very Happy .

Post #2457623rd Oct 2005 8:07 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
newtolr wrote:

With a great deal of luck and help from a few guys on the site, plus the manufacturer, that little engine (heater) will be working at my command by the end of this week Very Happy .

I'm feeling a bit damp behind the lobes, what actually is the benefit of the programmable FBH then? Embarassed
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #2464223rd Oct 2005 10:30 pm
BN

England 

It gives a warm start to the engine and car on very cold days. It also allows you to use the pre heater when stationary instead of having the engine going. It is a central heating system effectively and a engine water heater.

Post #2464323rd Oct 2005 10:31 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

ok, so this means, I would imagine, reduced bearing wear on startup and reduced derv usage maybe when the monkeys are really shined up with brasso
if you're parked up for a while, but why wouldn't you just run the lump anyway and have the benefits this brings anyway?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #2464523rd Oct 2005 10:42 pm
BN

England 

blue meanie wrote:
ok, so this means, I would imagine, reduced bearing wear on startup and reduced derv usage maybe when the monkeys are really shined up with brasso
if you're parked up for a while, but why wouldn't you just run the lump anyway and have the benifits this brings anyway?

The heater can be pre set with the car secure. As it is it acts as a backup to give more heat to the car unit when it is below 4C.

When I ran the pre heater the other day in 10 mins the car waslike an oven, far hotter than the car unit could manage.

Post #2464623rd Oct 2005 10:47 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

i can't imagine being very comfortable in an oven! Shocked
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #2465023rd Oct 2005 11:03 pm
anthill

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
blue meanie wrote:
if you're parked up for a while, but why wouldn't you just run the lump anyway and have the benifits this brings anyway?

The heater can be pre set with the car secure. As it is it acts as a backup to give more heat to the car unit when it is below 4C.

When I ran the pre heater the other day in 10 mins the car waslike an oven, far hotter than the car unit could manage.

The Aussie spec does not seem to be fitted with this heater! I wonder Why Surprised
 TDV6 SE (Ausie Spec) COOOL Chawton White.  
Post #2466424th Oct 2005 8:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >