Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Advanced Factors

Oil Opinions Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

We do stock Magnatec and lots of other things, once the vote is cast I will look at volume purchasing and sort prices out for the requested products.

The own brand is mostly going to be a trade sale I suspect anyway.
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #113691427th Jul 2013 12:26 pm
H16UUP

United Kingdom 

fishinmad wrote:
I buy Castrol Magnatec and OEM filter, replace oil and filter every £6k miles.
Most important thing you do to you car IMHO
I would need to be convinced that any own brand oil would be of the same quality.

But Castrol Edge is a more expensive, "better" oil. So why use Magnatec? Magnatec is specified because, it is very thin, leading to optimal fuel consumption figures (crucial for manufacturers, particularly our big fuel guzzlers). Ask the Opie guys about this - I found them very helpful.

There are better oils, to protect your turbo bearings at 100,000 rpm, and when you turn the engine off and your roasting hot turbo is still spinning. Oil carbonisation is a major cause of turbo failure.

Thumbs Up

P.S. check this. Different viscosity, but you get my point:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...amp;page=1

Whistle

Post #113691927th Jul 2013 12:49 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Just trying to be a little neutral in this and quite a few mention Magnatec so a little survey just done with online sellers:

Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A1 Ford Spec

4 litres
HALFORDS £31.99
ECP £20.99
AMAZON £25.49
ASDA DIRECT £21.00
EBAY £21.59

1 litres
HALFORDS £12.99
ECP £8.11
AMAZON £8.36
ASDA DIRECT £7.60
EBAY £7.89

Commercial comments later Rolling Eyes

Oh, I didn't think it right or fair to include other sponsors in the survey, no doubt other suppliers and prices exist out there.
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774

Post #113692327th Jul 2013 1:44 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Note: carácter has done more that 500.000 on single engine and turbo with magnatec. I makes me think is not a bad oil.

Post #113692427th Jul 2013 1:54 pm
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The link of BITOG is about 5w40 (as said) not our recomended viscosity(great page lots of info there, but a must is reading and studying sooo much to learn about oils and to filter the right info) And about viscosity (and changing it from designer prescriptions) watch this videos.

http://www.discotr.es/viewtopic.php?p=114100#p114100

I would not change it from the manufacturer indications unless too much different conditions present(extreme i.e. Minus 20-25 degrees on a regular basis for example)

I say this because many people try to change it to "heavier" to try to protect the engine and they are doing harm to it.

Last edited by CUCO on 27th Jul 2013 6:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #113692927th Jul 2013 2:14 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I'm more than happy to buy oil on its specification and price, rather than pretty badge and price.

Trying to find the latest specification for a D4 without resorting to a major brand is almost impossible, but I am willing to try.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #113695027th Jul 2013 3:28 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Boringoldgit wrote:

Majority comments so far confirm that as owners you want quality over price, but obviously fair pricing

Whats Quality ? to me is it is the surety that I am not risking the engine in a 40 thousand pound vehicle for the sake of a few quid....what beats me is that dealers use Comma oil & worse....LR recommend Castrol....Jaguar recommend the same.....very specific.

Quote:

One thing I forgot to ask - Do you buy to the nearest Litre for the job? or 2 cans?

I usually buy 2 x 4 litres for my LR D3
or
the exact number of litres in 1 litre plastic bottles of 5W-20 edge for my XK..the 5W-20 is a rare site other than dealers...it thought till I found it at Euorparts....it aint sold at Halfrauds
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #113696527th Jul 2013 4:41 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

I have today got a small reduction in our Castrol Magnatec to pass on and have updated our service kit deal to include 8 litres of this. It's also on our website on its own, delivery charges would kill off any benefit when buying it on it's own though so perhaps when you are getting something else from us?

5w20 Is difficult for us in Castrol, we have stock in Granville and will be getting that in in our own range soon.

D4 - What is the recommended oil? Our catalogues show it as 5w30 C1 low saps

Nice to see the majority want something decent though whether it has a brand name or not.

Interesting about the Ester oils, only been asked by scoobydoo owners before for this.

Fuchs - not on our horizon yet - sorry Darrell.
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774

Post #113764129th Jul 2013 4:28 pm
epninety

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's not entirely a straightforward choice for me, but I guess my order of choice is

1. Spec
2. Name
3. Price

So if there's a choice of oils that all meet the spec, I'll choose the one with a name I trust - though I'm not too fussy what the exact name is, IYSWIM.

If there's a choice of 'name' oils, e.g. Castrol vs. Mobil, then I'll trade price vs. name, so I *might* pay a couple of quid more for Mobil over Castrol (for example), but no more than that.

I tend to buy in bulk so I don't have to make the decision whether or not to buy 'budget' oils on Saturday morning when I want to do an oil change. This is pre finding AF of course. Most of the factors I've tried in Pompey over the years either charged a fortune for 'brand' oil or look at you like your mad when you don't want the cheapest bottle on the shelf, or both.

GSF used to sell Fuchs Titan at bargain prices until a few years back, one of my Defender engines has run on nothing else from new, and is the sweetest tdi around with 180k on it (factory crate engine), so another Fuchs fan here. 180k isn't high mileage, but the engine is spotless inside, not the tarry mess that some older tdis can be.

Can't remember whats in the D3 at the moment, probably some version of Shell.

Post #113767829th Jul 2013 5:50 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
False Economies.....like Jordans BOOBS

[quote="H16UUP"]
fishinmad wrote:
I buy Castrol Magnatec and OEM filter, replace oil and filter every £6k miles.

This may be a little too much for a Disco with service intervals of 14k miles....you may be wasting money & natural resources....(if this means anything to you)

Quote:
Most important thing you do to you car

Totally agree - basic maintenance that pays dividends later on in your D3's (or any car engines life)...not changing oil regularly or using cheap Censored oil is just plain negligent

Quote:
I would need to be convinced that any own brand oil would be of the same quality.

How would you know with an unbranded product from a dubious source ? the brand name is the data that says its from a reputable supplier...do you really believe whats said from a small insignificant "blender" ? have they got the resources that the larger companies have ? + all the credentials for being there for many years
In reality its the "real world" of having using & having to repair the engine in your D3 that is the "laboratory of real life" that is the deciding factor. You cant put the worn metal back on.
Quote:
But Castrol Edge is a more expensive, "better" oil. So why use Magnatec? Magnatec is specified because, it is very thin, leading to optimal fuel consumption figures (crucial for manufacturers, particularly our big fuel guzzlers). Ask the Opie guys about this - I found them very helpful.

not quite true......thinner oil with the same lubricant properties means it gets to the places it has to to at critical times that every time you start your engine.....the thinner oil also does save fuel

Quote:
There are better oils, to protect your turbo bearings at 100,000 rpm, and when you turn the engine off and your roasting hot turbo is still spinning. Oil carbonisation is a major cause of turbo failure.

I think you will find that todays oils are far better than even 5 years ago as regards high temperature tolerance...but letting your engine cool down after arduous use is always a good practice (i do this with all the cars I run...even the firms ones)

if you read the thread that this link goes to
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...amp;page=1
...it appears the claims are made on a vehicle that is LPG fueled ...that is far kinder to engine oil anyway...the thread actually says this quite clearly

I honestly cant believe
that D3 owners really would put "lower cost" oil in a premium vehicle & then expecting the oil to be "the same" & "do" the same job as "regular priced" oils.
& it appals me that some (not all) dealers use "low cost" oils (Comma, Miller's, Carlube etc) when you get your pride & joy serviced there...I have for many years taken the oil I want putting in to the dealer....

Remember
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

(John Ruskin)

Question:....would you buy a 2nd hand vehicle if you knew the owner hadnt done the services or used low cost inferior oils ?
you may think it doesn't matter...but if through choice or circumstance you have to keep your vehicle for longer than you thought......you may live to regret it - with your wallet
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #113777329th Jul 2013 8:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >