Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Oil Warning Light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My oil light certainly 'lingers' not had the enhancement but software should be up to date. Car is running spot on though so not going worry about it.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #823053rd Sep 2006 4:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

"What I also immediately noticed was that the start characteristic had changed from a smooth pick up to a two-stage pick up. By this I mean that it fires, takes a slight hick-up and then picks up smoothly."

sounds similar; mine seemed to start suddering on start up and on cols start 3 deg C (just been skiing) it would not sart took four goes to for it to start with a hesitation and a shudder. I'll speak to dealer tomorrow.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #824064th Sep 2006 8:46 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ok... so I remembered to look this morning.

Yep... the light lingers for a few seconds.

Probably normal.

Post #824854th Sep 2006 2:31 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I suspect it's only due to the oil filter being refilled on startup, given the position of it, there can't be a valve to stop it draining when the engine's not running...
The change in engine note a few seconds after starting could be related to the viscous fan or the alternator / aircon loading the engine

FWIW, mine has always taken a few seconds to go out, never seen it as a problem, just a characteristic Wink

Post #824984th Sep 2006 3:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Well, the plot thickens. Long story, so here goes. In cold weather, the light stayed on long enough to generate a warning chime (after the system check chime). The car was in most cases parked facing up the drive (slight slope). With the engine not rattling at start-up, I was happy to live with it.

In the interests of not being boring, we have taken to parking facing down the drive and guess what - no warning chime and the pressure warning light goes out faster when starting from cold! Very Happy

My guess is that facing up-hill encourages drainage of the oil from various parts of the engine and filter which then take longer to prime at start up.....unless someone knows different
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #10184114th Nov 2006 10:03 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
reasonable

sounds reasonable - a guy at work had months of low oil, low coolant, low brake fluid warnings on his Audi. In the end he refused to start it and audi assist came out - they pointed out his drive was on a 1 in 3 Laughing

Problem solved !!
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #10185014th Nov 2006 10:15 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Mine has 2nd bongd since I had her - and my drive is steep
Will check by parking other way
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #10186014th Nov 2006 10:48 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine gives a second bong when facing uphill, no second bong when facing down!. My drive is reasonably steep. Service on Thursday, so lets see if it changes anything.

Post #10186314th Nov 2006 10:58 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to know that it sounds like normal behaviour and I can stop fretting. Rolling Eyes
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #10190815th Nov 2006 7:29 am
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Having started this post back in July it is interesting to see it has raised its head again. Just to update you on my car. I took it back to the dealer just after the service - they kept it overnight to see what happened on cold start and changed the filter for a new one. Since then it has been a little better but still occasionally takes those good few seconds to go out - and yes a second bong occasionally too - when the oil light is still lit. Now that doesn't sound right to me! My car also behaves exactly as described by OCSID on colder mornings - just like it starts, wants to stall and then recovers - this clearly doesn't help with the oil light problem. I mentioned this at the time of the oil filter being changed but I don't think they bothered to do anything about it. All this is post 'enhancement'.As this only seems to occur on colder mornings it is becoming more apparent - so I feel a trip to the dealer coming........
Apart from this the car behaves perfectly but I just wonder what longer term danage I may be doing - I suppose the answer is who cares - just replace the car at 3 years old!

Post #10192715th Nov 2006 10:17 am
rory822

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

gilbo, I'm experiencing exactly the same symptoms. It's only been doing it for a few weeks, but it didn't start straight after the upgrade. My car is parked perfectly horizontal, so I don't think it's sensor confusion!

Anyway, it's off to the dealers tomorrow to have a passenger door latch replaced, so I'll ask them to also have a look into this, and whether or not it's a genuine cause for concern.

Steve
 TDV6 S AUTO | CAIRNS BLUE | SIDE STEPS
3 KIDS | SEAT COVERS ESSENTIAL 

Post #10227816th Nov 2006 1:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I just dropped my car off at the dealer. This issue really intrigued the mechanic who is going to service my car. They have it for two days so lets see what comes of it.

Post #10227916th Nov 2006 1:57 pm
ArcFro

Finland 

Gareth, did you get solution from your service on this issue?

my service advisor claimed that there was too little oil in the engine but there has not been any change in time of pressure warning light going out since first service carried out this week.

Post #11061917th Dec 2006 8:36 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It is oil related, but I have assurance that there is nothing wrong. Since 60k service no recurrance unless its very cold. I got synthetic oil this time too which may help.

Post #11062417th Dec 2006 9:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >