DISCO4.COM > General

One for the suspension gurus, harsh suspension with a twist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Just quickly ref the live data

Did u select the corner valves to see if they opened and closed whilst parked up and changing the height ride

Then driving some where without traffic around u, to see if they carried on opening and closing

Also checking the reservoir valve to see what the % are plse

Last edited by gstuart on 10th Apr 2019 10:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #204490010th Apr 2019 10:29 pm
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Thanks for all that info mate, I disabled the DSC no difference and no reading on the iid, only time the cross link valves opened was in low range over the same surface
 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8 what a car
Discovery 3 HSE 2006 gone but never forgotten
Member of the 234,567 mile club😎

Post #204490110th Apr 2019 10:30 pm
furnitureman

gstuart wrote:
Hi

Did u select the corner valves to see if they opened and closed whilst parked up and changing the height ride

Then driving some where without traffic around u, to see if they carried on opening and closing

I did have the corner valves on as well, if I raised and lowered they opened on the screen but that was the only time, nothing happened during normal driving I’ll check reservoir valve in the morning

Post #204490210th Apr 2019 10:35 pm
gstuart

Ur very welcome , don’t know how much help it is Whistle

Ah i see , to be honest I thought u could disabled the DSC in high range and without having to select a terrain setting

Would have thought if there was a fault there would be an error code

Thinking ref the hard suspension I’m wondering if the req amount of air isn’t getting into the struts ,, but urs it’s at the correct ride height in the normal setting , so if there’s not enough air it would surely then sit low

Just keep wondering about these valve blocks, maybe dirt / silica inside causing a restriction so the air doesn’t get into the struts quick enough as u corner etc

Would it be worth blowing out the lines front and back, also seeing it any dust dirt comes out

Sorry , I’m Just thinking out outloud Whistle Laughing

Post #204490310th Apr 2019 10:38 pm
gstuart

furnitureman wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Hi

I did have the corner valves on as well, if I raised and lowered they opened on the screen but that was the only time, nothing happened during normal driving I’ll check reservoir valve in the morning

Cheers , suppose it shows the % of how much they are opening but maybe not the amount of air going through and how quickly it needs to get from the compressor , reservoir block and then onto the front and rears ??

As when u look on ur iid all the pressures are correct but just not how quickly it’s getting round the system ,, maybe valve blocks / lines are full of junk inside ???

Know I’m clutching at straws here

Ps, apologises if you’ve heard this before Rolling with laughter , but my suspension was in a terrible mess, the white dust everywhere , used my 50 x litre air compressor , disconnected all the air lines and put the air compressor down each one, took valve blocks apart and was also full of white dust

Shame ur not closer as if u didn’t have compressor gauges , etc u would have been welcomed to parked on my drive and used them

Post #204490510th Apr 2019 10:40 pm
furnitureman

Thanks mate I appreciate all the help your giving, I rebuilt the front block with new seals not long back, the harsh rude us starting to get me down it’s so bad and it’s worse as I’ve replaced almost everything, I think new valve blocks are next as it rides like the tyres are Rick hard even hitting a cats eye sends a bang through the car

Post #204491210th Apr 2019 10:52 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

White dust Gary Shocked
I didn't think you were into psychedelic gratification Rolling with laughter
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #204491510th Apr 2019 11:01 pm
gstuart

Thumbs Up

Don’t know how much help it is Rolling with laughter

Have u recently replaced wishbones bushes by any chance , if so was the ride hard before replacement or no difference plse

Just trying to catch up , I did also try and repair my valve blocks , after I did k used a vaccum hand pump and gauge and wouldn’t hold vacuum so the solonoids wernt slamming shut and holding 100%

In the end I replaced compressor, air tank, all 3 x valve blocks and front struts

has the ride always been like that , or worse since replacing something plse

Indeed I personally can’t think of anything else apart from the valve blocks , seeing it’s calibrated at the right height , air compressor is 100% , no leaks and doesn’t drop over night

Have u got an air compressor to blow all the air lines out , does it drive better in off road height by the way

Got me intrigued now as I enjoy working things like this out , will keep digging to see if I can find any more info for u

At least to save ur sanity and always a pleasure to help in a small way where I can ,

Post #204491810th Apr 2019 11:07 pm
gstuart

PROFSR G wrote:
White dust Gary Shocked
I didn't think you were into psychedelic gratification Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I wondered why people were waving at me Whistle

Post #204492010th Apr 2019 11:10 pm
gstuart

furnitureman wrote:
Thanks mate I appreciate all the help your giving, I rebuilt the front block with new seals not long back, the harsh rude us starting to get me down it’s so bad and it’s worse as I’ve replaced almost everything, I think new valve blocks are next as it rides like the tyres are Rick hard even hitting a cats eye sends a bang through the car

Am just reading abit more info

The dynamic suspension system is a four corner air suspension system which is fitted to higher specification vehicles in place of the conventional damper and coil spring suspension used on non-air suspension models.

The dynamic suspension system is electronically controlled by an air suspension control module which controls the air supply unit, reacts to inputs from four height sensors and distributes air around the system via valve blocks.

The main air suspension system components are:
l Air suspension control module l Air supply unit
l Four height sensors
l Three valve block assemblies l Reservoir
l Air harness
l Four suspension air spring damper modules.

The four corner air suspension system maintains the vehicle height under all operating conditions by controlling the mass of air in the air springs. The air suspension control module uses signals from the four height sensors to maintain the correct suspension height. This is achieved by operating pneumatic control valves to increase or decrease the mass of air in the air spring damper modules.

The air suspension system has three driver selectable, pre-determined ride heights. A driver interface indicates the selected ride height and direction of movement. Additional information is also relayed to the driver via the instrument cluster message center (where fitted) and by audible warnings also transmitted by the instrument cluster.

Height changes can only be made when the engine is running and the driver's and passenger doors are closed.
Access height can be selected with the engine not running, within 40 seconds of moving the ignition switch to the off position provided the driver's door has not been opened in this time.

Post #204492310th Apr 2019 11:12 pm
gstuart

Post #204492710th Apr 2019 11:19 pm
gstuart

I heard about this but never read the full details

Transportation Mode

Transportation mode is a factory set mode which locks the suspension to enable the vehicle to be safely lashed to a transporter. Transportation mode can only be selected or deselected using T4.

When the ignition switch is switched off, the vehicle will be lowered onto the bump stops. This ensures that the securing straps do not become loose should air leak from the air springs.

When the engine is running, the air supply unit will operate to raise the vehicle height, allowing the vehicle to be loaded. When the ignition switch is subsequently switched off, the vehicle will again lower onto the bump stops. An audible warning will be emitted from the instrument cluster sounder until the vehicle has reached the higher transportation height.

Post #204493010th Apr 2019 11:24 pm
gstuart

Information regarding the suspension ecu and what the voltages should be if u need them Thumbs Up

The air suspension control module is located behind the instrument panel, on the driver's side 'A' post. The control module is attached to the 'A' post with a single screw and two plastic clips.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #204493910th Apr 2019 11:39 pm
gstuart

An interesting bit ref steering angle sensor

The air suspension control module uses inputs received on the CAN bus from other vehicle systems. The system useslongitudinal acceleration, lateral acceleration, steering angle and wheel speed data to control the suspension operation in differing driving conditions.

The system will react differently if one or more of these data inputs is missing or incorrect, for example, if the steering angle sensor is missing or incorrect, the air suspension control module assumes a default value of zero which may result in some unnecessary levelling activity.

Ref ABS , see these speed sensors can be tested via the iid live data

ABS module failure, CAN bus failure

° If the air suspension control module loses communications with the ABS module or the ABS module reports a fault, the air suspension control module immediately returns to the 'default' height, which is below the on-road ride height.

Once at the default height, the control module will continue to level the vehicle at this height. It is unlikely that the fault will be in the air suspension control module.

When the fault is repaired, the air suspension control module will resume full functionality but the error will remain in the control module memory.

Post #204494110th Apr 2019 11:44 pm
gstuart

Corner Valves

The corner valves control the flow of air into and out of the individual air springs. When the solenoid is de -energised, the corner valves are held in a closed position by internal springs.

When the solenoid is energised, the valve armature moves and allows air to flow into or out of the air spring.

Cross Link Valves

The cross-link valve provides a connection between the two air springs on the same axle. When de-energised, the cross- link valve prevents air passing from one air spring to another.

When the solenoid is energised, the valve spool moves and allows air to pass from one air spring to the other. This increases wheel articulation and improves ride comfort at low vehicle speeds.

Post #204494510th Apr 2019 11:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >