Page 1 of 1
BN

England 
Further to my Open Letter to Land Rover

Further to my open letter to Land Rover

Dear Land Rover (Ford)

Please read my first report

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24878#24878

Look at the two pictures below, does the first picture look like a vehicle that has tackled over 150 miles of the best Green Lanes in Wales and travelled over 180 miles on the major motorways and bye roads of Great Britain in two days.

Then look at the vehicle after a quick wash and brush up.

All I can say Land Rover is that you have produced a fantastic vehicle that has on occasions this weekend embarrassed some of the most ardent off road enthusiasts when they saw the car approaching them on the roads they thought difficult. Serious off-road motorcyclists, stopped and made comment, one being,

“It’s a bit posh to bring up here mate isn’t it, how the hell did you get here anyway”

Another biker said, “It isn’t even dirty, which way did you get here from”

Some Land Rover enthusiasts contemplating fording a river, where a bridge was being prepared, ran over to see how the car faired descending the deep bank side, then fording the fast flowing river and ascending the other side without even a wheel slipping.

One said, “That’s really great to see, using the bloody thing properly, great mate”.

Not only that, but I was in total comfort and a great environment enjoying some of the most beautiful scenery in Great Britain. How many people have the privilege of that and without even getting dirty.

So why do you mar an unbelievably wonderful car by poor back up and sensitive software and electronics, then deny it.

Did the car break down, no.

Did it have any problems, yes.

What were those problems:

1 On two occasions the drivers window decided to raise and lower itself, without any command from me. A quick press of the button stopped the now amusing situation.
2 The car had to have around 2000 rpm in 1st gear high range to pull away on flat ground on several occasions, and then resorted to normal as if nothing had occurred, but repeated itself again later.
3 Clouds of thick black smoke at one point belched from the nearside exhaust pipe according to another D3 driver following me.
4 On the motorway after leaving Wales a few clouds of less black smoke were seen in my rear view mirror.
5 Height was greater than the other D3’s on the trek (in normal ride height), which actually was an advantage as it happens, but 5cm is not normal.
6 Suspension creaked often when being raised to Rock Crawl.

So in the absence of your reply I will praise the car, but I still have issues, clearly seen by several other D3 owners during the weekend.

Get to grips with the cars electronics and other defects, keep the car great, because nothing in the world compares or can do what a Discovery 3 can do.

Sorry forgot to add that the reversing sensors stopped working or only when the car had stopped with the parking brake on.

Last edited by BN on 31st Oct 2005 5:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2539631st Oct 2005 12:05 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Very well put BN Thumbs Up

Post #2540031st Oct 2005 12:12 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:

It would be good if they had the decency to reply.

Post #257421st Nov 2005 7:29 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BN wrote:
simon wrote:

But have they not denied that they exist in LRO recently ?

Or was that just the SW and electronic glitches Wink

Post #257491st Nov 2005 7:55 pm
BN

England 

simon wrote:
BN wrote:
simon wrote:

But have they not denied that they exist in LRO recently ?

Or was that just the SW and electronic glitches Wink

Until we see the actual report, not sure, but it was the software as far as I understand

Post #257521st Nov 2005 7:57 pm
idmams

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ive had my problems with my first LR3 TDV6 SE, my seconds done 260 miles now love it still there nothing to touch it but LR need to get it right.
my mates got a BMW X5 Arrow Whistle & boy he does go off road for his job, he even openly admits it wont do what his Range rover did he had 5 in total but its never broken down, & hes an animal.
If i didnt have my Disco 3 i would rather walk.

Post #266957th Nov 2005 11:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nobbyclark

BN, Why don't you contact car magazines and car programmes re the D3's issues? Maybe some negative print or airtime would get LR to extract their digit and improve quality?

Having said that, the previous generations of Discovery got loads of printed and broadcast vitriol and LR never did anything about that...

Post #267928th Nov 2005 4:54 pm
BN

England 

nobbyclark wrote:
BN, Why don't you contact car magazines and car programmes re the D3's issues? Maybe some negative print or airtime would get LR to extract their digit and improve quality?

Having said that, the previous generations of Discovery got loads of printed and broadcast vitriol and LR never did anything about that...

I am already engaged in a similar thing at the moment, but this was a letter on behalf of all the suffering owners on and off the site, not just me. The other item, I will deal with away from the site.

Post #267968th Nov 2005 5:10 pm
TC

United Kingdom 

Brian,

How are you getting on in terms of feedback from Ford? I wanted to post this below your open letter but thought it sat better here - didn't want to detract from your well articulated and balanced points.....

All,

My car is now in for it's third visit in 3 months. I have not as yet had any major mechanical issues, mine have been in the main associated with the interior fit / finish and electrical issues.

In terms of inconsistency of build, a very minor point in itself but key when considered overall; my HSE Auto doesn't have the clips in the carpet that hold the mats in place - this isn't an issue that has given me more than a passing annoyance but what it does do is raise question marks over the overall QC process from the factory and ultimately the overall feel good factor in owning this car - I would hazard a guess that we all have that nagging voice in the back of our minds......

My most recent list:

Seatbelt not retracting unless first fully extended
Light in load space not working
Second row seat back peeling away
Front passenger seat clunking under breaking / acceleration
Bluetooth phone function turning itself on randomly

And a list of rattles (just the worst ones):
Bulkhead passenger side
Above the drivers seat from the headlining
From the gear selector

If I am driving along a slightly bumpy A or B road this car rattles more than a tin canfull of nails - FORD, NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

On the gear selector subject, for what is one of the most handled peices of switch gear in the car it feels cheap, vey cheap in both design and build quality. I often catch myself clipping and unclipping the silver plastic cap at traffic lights. Ford - copy the X5 on this one, don't cut corners in the most important space in the car.

Like all of the active participants on D3.co.uk the car is loved. I am now fully hooked and have no idea what I would want in replace of my D3 - I think we all agree that the answer is that we would only want the D3 - I have never been this loyal to any car.

I am a very recent Audi / BMW defector and here is the real crunch, I absolutely do not feel that I have either recieved a car or the service that I associate with a £40K+ investment - If I had raised the issues I have had with this car with either of the previously mentioned two brands, I would have had the franchised dealers and the parent companies bending over backwards to deal with me and resolve the issues as quickly as they possibly could to my satisfaction. It is apparent to me that LR and ultimately Ford don't see the customer in this way - although the dealer seems now to be both taking me seriously and making an effort to give me good service I have the underlying feeling that I continue to be an annoyance - simply not good enough Ford - NOT GOOD ENOUGH

I don't think it will be long before the popular motoring press fully get hold of the more serious issues talked through on these pages - I would be very interested to know if anyone working in Top Gear's research office had visibility of D3.co.uk - I am sorely tempted to find this out......we all know of Jeremy Clarkson's less than pleasurable experience with his Ford.

I want to finish off by saying that like most people, I also joined this forum not to complain or rant but to share in the enthusiasm of the ownership experience of what is fundamentaly a great car and gain the benefit of the breadth of others experience / knowledge.

Ford - this is a great car, see that and provide your customers with the right service and a reliable car - imagine what a top 20 position in the Top Gear ownership survey would do for the LR brand!!! Lexus was the highest positioned (ehem) 4x4 for God sake!!!!

Post #2827316th Nov 2005 10:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >