Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

About to order TDV6 - a few questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kevster

Ireland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
About to order TDV6 - a few questions

Just about to trade in my E-class Mercedes for a TDV6 7-seater. Really enjoyed the test drive and can't wait for delivery in January/February. Very Happy

Have been viewing this board for a few weeks now - its a really great resource for Discovery owners. Having seen the issues some of you folks have experienced is a worry but the fact that most of you still love your Disco's so much is pretty amazing! I keep telling myself that as with most things its the bad experiences you hear about rather than the good ones.....

A few questions you might be able to help with:
>I'm hoping to fit the volume control part to the steering wheel of my new car as the S+ here in Ireland does not have this as standard. There is an excellent post on the board with photos but I may get the dealer to do it before I collect the car. I know the '07 model has some different chrome detailing on the instrument panel - does this extend to the steering wheel controls or are they the same as the 05 and 06 models?

>I'm thinking of specifying the PTI phone kit as a factory fit option - is this available with the basic head-unit (single CD) or only with the higher spec HI ICE or Premium ICE units?

thanks in advance for any answers.
 '11 SDV6 Discovery 4  
Post #982892nd Nov 2006 12:46 pm
catweasel

firstly, welcome to the forum. the issues with the D3 have declined in recent months with less posts regarding issues, most of which are niggles. the steering wheel horn bars are in bright finish like the instrument panel, but 07 owners can better answer that.

Post #983002nd Nov 2006 1:23 pm
dflo

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Welcome to the dark side - Wink

It'll soon be January...
 "Funny, mine doesn't do that......."  
Post #983052nd Nov 2006 1:50 pm
dgrr

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: About to order TDV6 - a few questions

kevster wrote:
Just about to trade in my E-class Mercedes for a TDV6 7-seater.

That is EXACTLY what I did 6 mths ago. I ran an E320 cdi estate & shared exactly the same concerns over D3 build quality/reliability etc. My fears proved unfounded: 7,500 mls totally fault-free miles so far. You will see many of the long-standing post contributors to this site referring to a condition known as PERMAGRIN. I initially dismissed this as typical chat-forum, techo-nerd silliness. But that was before taking delivery of my D3. I can now confirm that ownership really does bring a big smile to your face. Mr. Green In fact, there are only 2 things the Merc did better: it drank slightly less fuel, & could overtake anything on an A/B road without having to plan the manoevre too much in advance. Once you're used to both of these, there's no looking back. IMHO, the D3 is a better car in every other conceivable way. And I never thought I'd say that!
I think all here would agree that any reliability problems & techno gremlins were ironed out by the time 06MY cars began being built/delivered. 07MY problems? You're laughing. Literally.
 DGRR  
Post #983162nd Nov 2006 2:36 pm
Disco 3 RS

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The D3 is an excellent choice Very Happy you won't be disappointed and from what i hear Mercedes are having as many, if not more reliability problems than Land Rover in recent years!!!

To answer the phone question for you- i don't think pti can be fitted with the base level audio Crying or Very sad but i'm not 100% on that one best ask your dealer to be sure!!

Post #983212nd Nov 2006 3:00 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

WRT the PTI, I was told by LR that with MY 2005 & 6, the base audio would not be compatible; Hi or Premium was required. Can't think it would have changed for MY 2007.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #983642nd Nov 2006 6:38 pm
catweasel

it appears to be a high ice, premium ice thing for 07 models to according to the LR website so no change.

Post #985063rd Nov 2006 7:03 am
Baldrick

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The irish 07 S+ (equiv to UK 7 seater) spec comes with leather as standard, and 18" wheels - new style. There are some subtle changes to the horn bars and cubby box metal trim - now Brushed steel.

The steering wheel radio switch does not come as standard but is €51.18plus vat. Just ordered mine yesterday. Fitting is straight foraward. Do a search for radio in mods. A user by the name of "Arlington" from waterford did it and explains it.

Regards
 2007 MY Irish spec S+ TDV6  
Post #985173rd Nov 2006 9:47 am
Pelyma

England 

I have the pti as standard in my HSE, my views are that if connecting by BT the system does no more than any other system such as parrot. If using the cradle very few new phones are compatible (especially Nokia phones) that you have to ask why have it. I lost my phone yesterday and it is incredibly frustrating that there is only one phone that fits my cradle it is a real pain in the proverbial.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #985203rd Nov 2006 10:03 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I find that the in-cradle performance - quality, etc is far superior to the bluetooth. I went out and bought a pay as you go Nokia 6230i, which lives in the cradle 24/7. On my 'normal' mobile, instead of it diverting to voicemail, I divert calls to the PAYG 6230i, so when someone rings I just reject the call on my mobile and it diverts to the car, and it works perfectly. The quality on bluetooth, and this goes for all bluetooth kits I've seen, is extremely poor compared to a cradle system or newer Nokia kits with remote sim mode over bluetooth (which works well, as the radio, etc is in the carkit itself).
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #985353rd Nov 2006 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >