Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Paintwork issues - Inspect when you collect
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Paintwork issues - Inspect when you collect

Quality problem at delivery mileage!......this has got to be a first, or do you know different?

On collecting my brand new Disco3 from LR dealership my eagle-eyed wife spotted a paint defect from about 20 feet. The fault affected a section of one of the door panels and could be described as a matt "orange peel" mottled effect and was very apparent on a section of one of the door panels. However, it had not been apparent to Landrover's quality control people or to the dealership workshop guy who had fitted a side body moulding just inches from the defect.

Very apologetic dealer, no complaints there, but I was dissapointed at having to drive away in a loan Freelander not knowing when my brand new car will be fixed. On the plus side, I was given the handbook to read whilst I am waiting.

Moral - It is wise to closely inspect your brand new car, don't assume LR have! Sad Sad
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Last edited by TonyH on 4th Mar 2006 7:27 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #450821st Mar 2006 8:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The "orange peel effect" seams to be a problem with D3's.
The paint on Freelanders for example is a much better finish.
I think LR in general would agree that paint finish is not one of their strong points.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #450861st Mar 2006 8:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TonyH

Thanks Cliff.

The defect is present as a circular patch about 300mm in diameter on one of the doors and is slightly matt in appearance, initially I thought that it was dried-on polish, it had that sort of appearance. I was told that it might be due to faulty refinishing/repolishing at the factory after removing foreign particles from the painted surface, which were either present in the paint or on the surface of the metal door skin. I don't know.
Dealer told me fault will be corrected by either repolishing, repainting or replacing the door.

Post #450921st Mar 2006 9:05 pm
Cliff H

I would be very unhappy with re painting and a change of door would be of no use as the colour would never be an exact match.
My Buckingham blue is a very varied finish, many panels are very "orange peel" like all apart from the bonnet which is pretty good, must be something to do with it being made out of some other kind of metal I think.

Good luck with yours, be fussy Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #450971st Mar 2006 9:24 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I spotted the smallest fleck on my passenger door at delivery - the mark was just bigger than a pin head had only progressed through one layer of lacquer but I insisted on respray or free rubbing strips to be fitted (the mark was just in the right place for these) - the dealer honoured the free supply & fitting of the rubbing strips - so it was a blessing in disguise in terms of getting something I probably would have bought and fitted at a later date.

But it does beg the question whether they think you are deprived of the magic of sight and won't notice these things or not ???
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #451061st Mar 2006 9:41 pm
leigh

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Orange peel effect occurs after a build up of too much paint. If LR carry out a repair I wouldn't be bothered as it's going to look spot on once complete and it will be covered under their warranty.
L
 Standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Java Black HSE, Side steps, privicy glass, tow bar and roof bars. 

Post #451071st Mar 2006 9:43 pm
TonyH

Thanks to all responding to my original message

Well!! Went to collect car today after LR dealer informed me that door section had been repainted in their own paintshop. What a disapointment, "scratches & pimples", a right bodge, totally unacceptable. I was told that they will need to replace the door. Only hope that there will be exact colour match and they fit the door correctly.

I haven't even been in the car yet, let alone driven it.

Episode 3 about next Thursday

Post #455153rd Mar 2006 8:22 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Go back to the dealer and refuse the vehicle tell them to order you a new one, do not allow replacement or repair I had similar problems and I rejected the vehicle and got them to order me a new one.

Post #455193rd Mar 2006 8:36 pm
Cliff H

Scorpio is spot on!
Refuse the car, you did not pay all that money for a bodged job.
Part of the reason mine is being changed is down to paintwork problems.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #455273rd Mar 2006 9:31 pm
Jads777

Guernsey 

When I picked up my D2 a few years ago two doors and a wing had scratches and chips. The dealer totally misjudged my mood and offered to deal with it at the first service. I threw a major wobbly which brought most of the dealerships staff onto the forecourt. I told them to get it fixed and after inspecting the car I would let them know if I would accept it or not. A week later I was invited to view the car and it was close to perfect. |The moral is - stick to your guns!

Post #455513rd Mar 2006 10:52 pm
TonyH

Thanks for all responses. Collected Disco today, new door fitted, perfect match, complimentary tankfull of fuel. Lots of apologies from dealer. Really pleased, wonderful car. Average fuel consumption showing as 29.6 MPG after a careful 50 miles drive home, not exceeding 2000 r.p.m. Seems too good to be true from an auto box, so will check it out over next few days and let you know. Laughing Very Happy
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey

Post #464478th Mar 2006 8:06 pm
Cliff H

Bet there is a demo car at your dealership with a very iffy coloured door Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #464488th Mar 2006 8:08 pm
yosser395

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Tony
make sure you inspect that replacement door from all angles in bright sunlight to make sure it is the perfect match.

Post #464528th Mar 2006 8:33 pm
TonyH

Thanks for that Yosser, I spent some time in inspecting and reinspecting the door before I drove away from ther dealership. Trouble is that there is no bright sunlight at this time of the year, well not in north Shropshire but I do take your point. I will continue to look closely at the paint match but I have to say that it looks perfect.
Thanks for your response
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey

Post #464638th Mar 2006 9:17 pm
TonyH

Cliffe, I think you'r right. Door was removed from another new vehicle at the dealership and a new rubber side mould was put on my replacement door. So the dealer now has one defective door, together with applied body side moulding and three other spare mouldings ready to apply. Rest to your imagination!!
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey

Post #464648th Mar 2006 9:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >