Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Parking Brake uncommanded activation ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Johnny V

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Parking Brake uncommanded activation ??

Hi, Wonder if anyone can shed any light on something that has happened to my D4 - it has happened on 3 x occasions now and not being that technically minded I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
On every occassion the fault has manifested itself as a severe vibration, as if you are driving on a corrugated road, has also happened at 60/70 mph on dual carriageway. The first time I put it down to the road surface, the second time (in a different location) I thought coincidence, the third time (again different location) I figured no this is a problem with the car.
Each instance has been at least a month if not longer apart and has cleared itself after a minute or two - typically because of location I have been unable to stop safely to investigate - on the last occasion it occured to me that maybe the parking brake had activated on its own ???
It shakes the car but as it is only briefly and speed is high it hasn't caused any appreciable slowing up of the vehicle.
Can the parking brake come on uncommanded ?
Has anyone else experienced this - if so what was remedy ?
If Not the brake any other ideas ?
Any help appreciated
Cheers
Jon

Post #22769484th Feb 2022 11:42 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

brake calipers start to bind

check wheels for pretty high temp touching wheel in the middle

it is obvious sign of calipers binding

G

Post #22769574th Feb 2022 12:24 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

As above. Happened to me on M40. very alarming shudder vibration almost to the point of breakdown... then it disappeared only to return 50 miles later even worse.

Parking brake shoes on one of the rear wheels had collapsed and was binding.

Both need checking and at least one will need rebuilding.

Good thing is you've caught it early...

Heat at the affected wheels will be intense... pour some water onto each rear hub after your next journey...
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #22769594th Feb 2022 12:50 pm
Johnny V

Thanks guys - at least I was looking in the right direction if not with exactly the right answer.
Seems strange that it comes on and then goes away - assume that potentially caliper slider bolts have seized but why does it happen when no braking is taking effect and the caliper/pads are retracted - would have expected it to have seized when braking ??
If it is the parking brake then again would have expected it to get worse not suddenly go away for the next 500 miles - weird.
Had planned on replacing the rear discs and pads anyway when weather warmed up - suspect this has brought the job forward !
Appreciate your help
Cheers
Jon

Post #22770174th Feb 2022 5:01 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Had exactly the same thing on a brand new D4, funnily enough it started immediately after it had been in for it's first service Whistle technicians had overtightened the handbrake shoes - nett result a complete new set of rear disks, pads and handbrake parts... all FOC thankfully
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #22770424th Feb 2022 7:15 pm
Johnny V

Well Guys, looks like you were correct re the parking brake - shoe had collapsed and was digging into drum - calipers ok, so new shoes, discs, and pads and all is good again.
Thanks again for the advice
Jon

Post #228296711th Mar 2022 10:28 am
MickeyD21

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Glad to find this thread - just had the same thing happen to me driving down the A34. Smelled hot brakes from the right rear wheel well when I got home.

Looks like a trip to the shop tomorrow...

Assume it's not recommended to drive far with it this way, but I need to get it to the shop, and I need to get my daughter to school tomorrow. Should I be concerned about making at least a few trips before I get it fixed?
 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark black  
Post #228502924th Mar 2022 11:02 pm
Johnny V

Hi this problem seems common, yes I would get it fixed sooner rather than later, in my case I probably drove around for a couple of months in ignorance until the problem really became apparent as disc discoloured from excessive heat - my technician said that basically I had been dragging a binding NSR wheel all the time (hence the heat build up - and incidentally a poor MPG) and that the judder was caused when the broken shoe actually jammed against the drum for a distance.
I had already bought discs and pads to fit myself but let him do the whole job, was quite pleased as it only cost me £175 for him to get new shoes and fit discs, pads, and shoes (charged an hour and a half labour) - so with original cost of £130 for discs and pads the whole job came in at £305.
Suspect costs are going to vary enourmously from 'shop' to 'shop' but hope you get yours all sorted ok
Cheers
Jon

Post #228519726th Mar 2022 11:58 am
MickeyD21

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My Disco is still under LR warranty, with roadside assistance, so I had them come out to take a look. The tech drove it around for about half an hour, looked at it, smelled it, and said he didn't see anything wrong with it. And to be fair, I don't notice any of the issues now either. The parking brake seems to work fine, and I don't get any vibration or smells.

I know I wasn't imagining things when I felt the vibration before, so what's going on here? Is there a part in the parking brake that might have been temporarily dislodged, and somehow now is back in place? That seems unlikely...
 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark black  
Post #228591431st Mar 2022 9:29 am
Johnny V

Hi, not sure I can give you the answer, all I know is that when the initial 'vibration' happened on mine it only lasted maybe a hundred yards at 70 mph then went away and didnt occur again for several weeks and many miles - I had put it down to the road surface/speed combination, it wasnt until it did it for the third time after about three months that I thought something was wrong with the brakes in between there seemed nothing wrong.
Mine was noticible because I had painted the hubs to cover up slight rust and on that one wheel the high temp resistant paint all discoloured and burnt off due to the excess heat generation.
There will be people on the site that may be able to make other more practical suggestions but I am guessing the only way to know for sure is to have the rear disc off and inspect the parking brake shoes - I was surprised that it would start and then go away for a long period but it did, however it did finally break and rubbed continously (although you were unaware of this whilst driving).
Hope you get it sorted !
Jon

Post #22860411st Apr 2022 10:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >