DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Parking sensor problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
alastaid

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Parking sensor problems

Hi,

My parking sensors have packed up, if you put it in reverse (camera comes on fine), long continuous beep and the light flashes on the button. I have read loads of threads but don't know where to go next. I did get swamped by a lorry going past, so just assumed it had got drowned and thought I would leave it to dry out. The car is garaged and its now two weeks after so has had plenty of time to dry out properly but its still the same.

Then tried to listen for them clicking, but I can't hear anything at all, front or back. All of the threads seem to be about D3's, so should you be able to hear D4's clicking, are they exactly the same?

Assuming it should click and mine doesn't where should I start, as neither front or rears work?

Thanks

Alastair

Post #137454616th Nov 2014 7:34 pm
Streffie

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

If you can't hear them clicking, diag is your next step,

Post #137522717th Nov 2014 10:55 pm
crip010

Mine didn't work front and back and it was a split wire on one sensor at the back.

Post #137523817th Nov 2014 11:16 pm
alastaid

Thanks both, I will have a look for any split wires. If I don't find any, what is the dig process for the sensors, I have put my fault code reader on, and there is nothing, should there be?

Do I start unplugging sensors until they start working or is there something different I should be doing?

Thanks

Alastair

Post #137547618th Nov 2014 1:41 pm
alastaid

OK, having communicated with the fault code reader people, it appears the fault I am getting (but cant clear at the moment) is:

U-2101 Control Module Configuration Incompatible

I have searched on the web without finding out anything useful, do I assume this fault is related to the parking sensor, and work towards clearing this fault code, or start pulling sensors? When I put it in reverse, I cant hear any of the sensors clicking, which I suppose is making me think its something other than a single sensor going, as none of them are working?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alastair

Post #137613219th Nov 2014 4:30 pm
alastaid

Finally had some time to look at this properly, so for anyone who reads this with the same problem, you need to put your ear right up to the sensor to them click, once I had worked this out, the offside inner sensor has gone on the front.

So assume this is a bumper off job to get at, and I think I read TLO is no longer about, so is there another site sponsor who can supply a replacement or is it local stealers?

Ta

Alastair

Post #137812023rd Nov 2014 6:28 pm
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

As you're up my way, have you tried Ben at Black Paw 4x4. He's just down near the Designer Outlet?
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #137816623rd Nov 2014 8:15 pm
alastaid

Phew! All finished.

Some notes for anyone doing this on a D4. Firstly its a bumper off job, watched some YouTube videos of removing a D3 and its pretty much the same. Snapped two of the underside torx screws which seems very common on here. So if you plan to keep your D4 for any length of time, undo the lower 4 torx screws and put a load of copperease on, as you will surely have to replace a parking sensor at sometime in the future. Drilling these out and retapping took by far the longest time to do this, and I was careful taking them out, going back and forth using loads of wd40 etc but they still snapped.

Secondly you do need to take off the front wheel arches to get at the side bolts of the bumper, again there are videos for a D3 and its pretty straight forward, don't worry about busting clips as you pry them off, they come off with no drama. When putting them back on, make sure you get the inner arch on the inside of the wheel arch, I didn't on the first one and it took me ages to work out why the holes didn't line up properly.

When you replace the sensor it doesn't work straight away, the system obviously recalibrates itself, takes a few goes and then they spring into life.

Lastly, I sometimes think its unfair to call the dealers "stealers", but at £60 for a sensor I think they do deserve it (or Landrover do for charging such a high price to the dealers). At that rate its just under £500 for new sensors front and back, which is ridiculous!

Cheers

Alastair

Post #13826472nd Dec 2014 3:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >