Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Passenger footwell wet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Passenger footwell wet

Dam it, excuse the pun, bloody passenger side carpet is wet again, pollen filter is dry , as soon as I opened the door water came pouring out

Looking at the door rubbers can see a tear , after spending a lot of time looking I drilled a couple of holes in the floor to allow all the water out

Got some tyre shrieder valves that I’m going to fit so water can’t get back in, will get an adaptor to extend them so they will be accessible underneath for ease of opening and draining any water , just had to get the amount of water out that kept building up until I find a solution

Noticed some drain holes underneath the door rubbers

Will at some stage get a new door rubber , am not sure if it’s coming from the top of the A pillars

At the end of the day ive kept trying to chase this so going to see a mate who has a smoke machine , am hoping that will identify where it’s coming in

Plus at the end of the day I’ll put my findings here to try and help others as know this is very common

Few pics

Last edited by gstuart on 25th Jul 2021 12:49 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #224330225th Jul 2021 12:38 am
gstuart

This is the type of thing he has , just hope this will work to test the integrity of panels, seals etc and see if it can pinpoint the ingress

at least it will also test all of the boot/ door seals and I believe u can add chemicals for deodorising the cabin

Post #224330325th Jul 2021 12:42 am
paul123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

check the clips on the a pillar trim the rubber seals go hard and let water in . i had this problem changed the clips put a blob of silicone on each one .
 2005 discovery 3 tdv6
1971 200 tdi 2 door range rover

300tdi defender 90 in bits needs lots of work 

Post #224331925th Jul 2021 7:13 am
gstuart

Many thks, have fitted new clips and also done the TSO mod with regards to blanking off the bottom clip hole

However the A pillars are I assume original as the rubber seals may be worn , plus that’s a good idea with ref putting some silicone on the clips as never know water may be getting past them , got a few tubes of gutter sealant so that should do the job , thks for that Bow down

Driving me nuts as I think I’ve checked everything , but the dreaded water is still finding its way in, only on the passenger side

See a new door seal is around £70.00 , don’t think that tear on the bottom of the door rubber should be there , am hoping putting a smoke machine in the disco can identify where it’s coming in and at least should tell me if the door seals are leaking , might need some new A pillars as well, I’ll remove them when I do the smoke test to see if any comes out the holes

Will check the outside glass door trims as well

Does look like I’ll have to fit a new door seal , will also adjust the door striker plate to pull the door abit tighter

Hopefully in the mean time the holes I’ve drilled will let any ingress of water out until I can get the smoke machine , then I’ll fit those shrieder valves and extension to block them back up again

Thinking about it, Do have some dog window vents so if I fit one of them, seal it up apart from a very small hole I should then be able to then pump the smoke in , won’t be for a few weeks but will of course take some pics and the results

Thks again Thumbs Up

Post #224332625th Jul 2021 8:56 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's a fair amount of water. Is the roof lining wet? as a roof body seal has been known to leak. I bought two body opening seals (not the ones that go around the door) for the front from LR at $50 each.

Post #224333625th Jul 2021 10:07 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

If you sit in the passenger seat with a torch and get someone else to spray a hose around the door seal, windscreen etc with a hose, you can usually find it.

Ps a dry pollen filter isn’t always a guarantee it’s not coming in thru the air intake

Post #224334325th Jul 2021 11:01 am
Pete K

Oh yes. Someone on here found a
Hole in the roof rails or top of A pillar didn’t they

Post #224334425th Jul 2021 11:02 am
gstuart

Globetrotter448 wrote:
That's a fair amount of water. Is the roof lining wet? as a roof body seal has been known to leak. I bought two body opening seals (not the ones that go around the door) for the front from LR at $50 each.

Hiya

Headliner is all dry, don’t have a sunroof , would u mind showing me which part u mean please

http://new.lrcat.com/#!/12128/46398/46561/3650

Plus wondering with that door seal when replaced if a sealer should also be used

Indeed I was taken back with the amount of water that came out from opening the passenger door , then when I drilled the holes a lot more came out , when I lifted the carpet could see water on top of the heating floor ducts

Thks again

Last edited by gstuart on 25th Jul 2021 11:22 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #224334525th Jul 2021 11:15 am
gstuart

Pete K wrote:
If you sit in the passenger seat with a torch and get someone else to spray a hose around the door seal, windscreen etc with a hose, you can usually find it.

Ps a dry pollen filter isn’t always a guarantee it’s not coming in thru the air intake

Funny enough got my neighbour to do that a little while ago, thought I had cured it when I sealed up the bottom A pillar clip hole

Didn’t know that with regards to the pollen filter , In that case I’ll save my milk carton and do that mod over the engine bay pollen filter intake

May i ask please is the door seal suppose to have a hole like that in the bottom as per the picture plse, plus as I opened the door water poured out , know we’ve had some thunderstorms with a lot of rain, first time I’ve seen that amount of water coming out after opening the door

Plus red the smoke machine m do u think that would work if I borrow one please

Many thks as always

Post #224334725th Jul 2021 11:20 am
gstuart

Plus just noticed it looks like the roof rails cover has split at the front , think it might be an idea to lift them off, also where a seal meets the windscreen, looks like the seal is deteriorating

Will get some soapy water plus a brush and clean all round there , might need to put some sealant there as well , think I might have a tube of glazing silicone

Got to buy some tape though as I think it’s black, if I out some tape down first to give me a neat finish line

Does seem to be a very common issue, anyone else had this please after the heavy rain we’ve had

Ref these trims, got the short rails and intend to get the long ones, but think it might be best to see if I can get some second hand trim

Many thks

Click image to enlarge

Post #224334925th Jul 2021 11:28 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Check under the roof rail covers i have seen Disvovery's with small rust holes
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #224335325th Jul 2021 11:48 am
Pete K

The door seal isn’t meant to have a split with your tool in it.

It should have a hole somewhere to let air out.

If you haven’t done the milk carton mod then do it. It’s so cheap and effective.
And rules it out if nothing else.

A smoke machine would work with effort, but there has to be easier things to try first.
I would worry it would damage the interior.

Just leave a hose pipe on the roof at a medium flow

If there are rust marks near the door seal this indicates water has been coming in there

Post #224335625th Jul 2021 12:07 pm
gstuart

Thanks mate , must admit haven’t removed them as was in the back of my mind was concerned of them breaking

Did look on eBay a while back for some second hand ones but alas couldn’t really see if they were any good , plus want to get some long rails so don’t know if I can get precut trims or if I need to get them complete and then cut what I need

Also can’t remember any trims coming up on here for sale , hopefully long rails won’t need much trim

Sorry I’m waffling again, thks again Thumbs Up

Post #224335725th Jul 2021 12:14 pm
gstuart

Pete K wrote:
The door seal isn’t meant to have a split with your tool in it.

It should have a hole somewhere to let air out.

If you haven’t done the milk carton mod then do it. It’s so cheap and effective.
And rules it out if nothing else.

A smoke machine would work with effort, but there has to be easier things to try first.
I would worry it would damage the interior.

Just leave a hose pipe on the roof at a medium flow

If there are rust marks near the door seal this indicates water has been coming in there

Thks pete , so a new door rubber seal it is

Did see some holes in the door seals and assumed it was for draining water , didn’t realise it was for air, also see the doors have 2 x seals

Thks and Yep will definitely do the pollen cover , ah, that’s concerning as didn’t know that if smoke machines could cause damage , it was just a thought, so will also check under the roof rail trim and then will as u say leave a hose pipe on

Think it might be an idea to remove the lower glove box and the small side trim , then put some plastic over the fuse box just in case , oh and apply some silicone on the windscreen A pillar clips

Saw this a little while ago ref fogging machine solutions

https://www.valetingproducts.co.uk/Deodori...94589.aspx

Will be brilliant to finally sort this out , thks as always Pete Bow down

Post #224336025th Jul 2021 12:23 pm
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I’ve had the same but in the drivers footwell. I have not found the source yet and it’s plenty wet under the carpet. How do you get the carpet out? I read somewhere that you have to take the seat out but I hope that’s not true.

Post #224337725th Jul 2021 2:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >