Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

PDI?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
PDI?

A bit of a big request, perhaps, but here goes...

As I'm due to collect new D3 this week (hurrah! at last), but have never bought brand new before - what should I look out for on the pre delivery inspection? I seem to recall some comments about the inspection taking someone 2 1/2 hours- what on earth do you do for all that time?

I guess a bloomin good look over the bodywork and interior is a good start, along with all the buttons.

What should I be particularly concerned with (given some of the problems you seem to have had with your own precious wheels)

Any advice gratefully received
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #732117th Jul 2005 4:27 pm
BN

England 

I will make a start with this and no doubt the lads will offer much more. The hand over is a lot of dealer PR. What you need to do is get some time on your own with the vehicle before you sign anything. Enjoy the time, but look for anything that you are not happy with. Sometimes a new vehicle has some minor problems that look major and on other occassions, problems will not be evident at all untill you drive tha car. These are the worry.

Now me being me, I drive the car before I take delivery, all be it around the block. It is hard to advise what to look for, so go over it with a fine toothcombe, you are paying a whole shedload of money for the product.

Even then of course you can miss things, but it may make you feel a whole lot better if you look at your leasure first.

One item I had on my last car was a terrible noise on the way home. I searched and searched, but nothing. I then realised the PDI had left out the rubber grommets in each door where the electrics went through. Five minutes of fiddling myself and all was well. Another was with the D3, a rattle was coming from the back. I thought I still had the mechanic in the boot, but it turned out that when they installed the heavy duty tow bar, they had not wound up the spare wheel far enough and so it goes on.

You will find little things that need correcting. Best of luck.

Post #732417th Jul 2005 4:41 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Kevin,

The dealer does the PDI when the car is received from the factory, this is to ensure when it's handed over to you it's exactly what you expect. They'll remove all the transport covers, clean the car, check everything works, check all the fluid leves, take the computer out of transport mode, fit any dealer supplied accessories, drive it for a couple of miles to see if there's anything rattling or rubbing that shouldn't be, put the number plates on etc... If you're lucky they may even fill up the fuel tank

When you get there you'll spend what seems like ages filling out all the paperwork, then they'll hand you the keys and manuals and take you to the car. Check the car over as thorougly as possible, looking for any paint defects or scratches etc. Make sure everything you ordered is there.
On a simpler car they'll show you how everything works, on the D3 this would take hours so they'll probably just ensure you know where the import bits are (light, indicators, brakes, mirrors etc) operated and answer any questions.

By this point you'll be itching to drive off anyway so assuming you're happy that all is as it should be (and have discussed with the dealer how any issues are going to be resolved) off you go. Get that first wonderful drive out of your system, get the car home and go over it with a fine toothcombe. Get a step ladder out and check the roof, raise the suspension and check underneath, open/close all the doors, bonnet, check the seats fold up properly etc. Note down anything that's not right and phone the dealer once you've finshed if there was anything.

Now get your family in the car and set off for a drive, assuming all is still okay when you get home put the kettle on and start reading through the manuals....

Si
 The End  
Post #733217th Jul 2005 4:59 pm
Pelyma

England 

Look closley at the paint work is my biggest tip
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #733717th Jul 2005 5:04 pm
Echidna

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just picked up a brand new Disco 3 from the LR Dealer today. This was a replacement vehicle for one that I rejected 5 weeks before so you would have thought that the LR Dealer would have done a thorough PDI.

I immediately noticed that the telephone cradle and loadspace rubber mat were missing. LR Dealer advised that they would get these to me sometime next week.

Then before I had even left the LR Dealer's forecourt I noticed that the airbag SRS warning indicator was red and would not go out despite restarting the engine a couple of times. Within one mile I heard the upper tailgate rattling quite badly and returned to the LR Dealer. Arranged to return vehicle on Tuesday for adjustment / rectification. At 25 miles I tried to get the Sat Nav to reduce the current map zoom level but the screen suddenly cracked as I was gently pressing it! Could not face returning to the LR Dealer again but gave them a call to report the latest failure.

I am now left wondering if the PDI was actually done for this vehicle as it was not particularly clean either inside or out. It only had 1 mile on the clock when I drove it away.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue / Alpaca
2005 TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue / Alpaca (Rejected)
2005 VW Golf SE 

Post #900130th Jul 2005 6:34 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately for some dealers nowadays providing customer satisfaction is not in they're job description. Certainly sounds as if the PDI wasn't done or wasn't done very thorougly on your replacement D3 Echidna

Many of the issues reported on here happen when owners first pick their vehicles up within a few miles of the showroon, if dealers did a proper PDI perhaps these wouldn't happen (not to the customer anyway) then LR and their dealers would get a much better reputation

Though they've subsequently proved to be pretty useless at aftercare the dealer I bought my D3 from does at least appear to have done a full PDI, there was 6 miles on the clock when I got it so it looks like they took it out for a test run to check all was okay. None of the issues I've had since can be attributed to anything the dealer should have picked up

Si
 The End  
Post #900430th Jul 2005 7:18 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Grief, I just got in mine and drove off. I didn't have time for the lesson on what button did what, but I have worked that out since. Everything has been fine ......
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #900630th Jul 2005 7:29 pm
phil.h

England 
used D3 pdi's

picked my used D3 up and all seemed fine. went over it with a toothcomb when i got it home and the bonnet catch wouldn't even open, along with the cd player not accepting any discs and showing cd fault on the display.
this to me seems like the pdi wasn't even done. the vehicle was direct from landrover and the factory pdi sheet was in the car stating correct operation of cd player, but my local dealer (not the supplying dealer by the way)on having a look found the manufacturers transit screws still fitted in the unit Embarassed so i wouldn't believe anything you read on a bit of paper Shocked
 D3 V8 SE  
Post #905231st Jul 2005 4:37 pm
BN

England 

That is for sure

Post #905331st Jul 2005 4:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >