DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

Peak district newbie green lanes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mrszymon

2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Peak district newbie green lanes?

Hi,

We're off to the Peak District for a couple of days, and I thought it might be fun to try the D3 off-road a bit. However, it'll be just me and the family, with the car as bog standard, so I don't want any "real" off-roading! Something soft and simple, relatively easy, but that the kids would enjoy (and me too!).

Most of the videos of the routes I've seen on the internet seem far too serious for a first time newbie without a backup or equipment. So...can anyone suggest a route for "offroading lite"? Just for our first time!

Smile

Thanks,

-simon

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Moved to "Off Roading & Green Laning"

Post #9379012nd Jun 2012 8:35 am
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

There is a guy over on freelander2.com [The Doctor] who does some laning in Derbyshire, if you could contact him he will be able to help,
If it can be done in a Freelander a Disco will eat it for breakfast.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #9379152nd Jun 2012 10:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kevin-t

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
lanes

Not planning any myself this coming few weeks, otherwise you could tag along.
However just to pass a couple of hours on and get a feel for it, you might want to try these out!.
Great views and good picnic spots on route.

Houndkirk moor, from near the Fox House pub, across to the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow, plus a couple of tracks from there. another is up to Stanage Pole along the old Roman Road. I would only go upto the pole, on my own though unless you wait a little someone might be along to guide you down. gets very busy at weekends with off roaders, so you wont be waiting long!!

Both lanes will pass on a couple of hours gentle lanning, with no bramble rash etc.etc.
Best of luck, and enjoy. Thumbs Up

Kevin-T.........................

Post #9379242nd Jun 2012 10:18 am
mrszymon

2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks so much to both of you for the replies. In the end we just took a map and randomly drove over small roads. We did manage to find one BOAT with a ford, which was fun! Smile The one we found is listed on "Trailwise" as SK0766-01, although they have it marked wrong, so I sent them this email:

Quote:
Hi there,

I'm very new to greenlaning, although our whole family is now hooked, after managing to find one by accident. I went looking for it on the internet and that's how I found your Website - but you have some of the details wrong, so I thought I'd send you an update on this trail.

We've just bought a Discovery 3 and spent the weekend in the Peak District, mainly for hiking, but on the way home we decided to randomly drive through some small roads and see what we find. Came across this route, which was clearly signposted as a "Byway Open to All Traffic", and while I'm sure it wouldn't be interesting for seasoned off-roaders, it was a great introduction for us (a family of five in a Disco 3 - the kids especially loved it! Smile

The route as you have marked says for walkers and wheelchair users only, but it's clearly suitable for 4x4's and bikes too, you should update the icons. It's mostly just a mud road with holes and rocks, easy enough if driven slowly (on the disco 3 we had mudruts mode, offroad height and low ratio gearbox and it was a doddle). There is a fun little ford in the middle, again perfect for first-timers like me.

As we drove it, the route actually starts further to the east than you have marked on http://www.trailwise.org.uk/gmaps/gmap.htm?uid=SK0766-01 - the BOAT signpost is where it connects to the road at the east (the whole route should be listed as SK 0777 6683 to SK 0707 6691).

If you let me know how, I'd be happy to put up a photo or two Smile.

Here's a picture of our first ford Wink

Click image to enlarge

Post #9386665th Jun 2012 8:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >