DISCO4.COM > General

Phew!! - I'm back.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Phew!! - I'm back.

Due to the R Soles that broke into my house on Saturday night, and nicked my laptop, I have been quiet for a few days.

They also nicked my cameras and my wifes Mini Cooper S, BUT THEY COULD NOT DRIVE MY DISCOVERY 3 AWAY Razz although they tried.

It would appear that the electronic park brake stumped them. They left it with the keys in, door open, ignition on, in reverse, but at least they did not take it.

Important lesson, Please keep your keys safe, DO NOT leave the door keys in the door like I did. Expensive mistake as the Mini will probably not be found.

Just in case anyone has seen a red Cooper S with white roof and white bonnet stripes, with twin spotlights reg number W3 NSX let me know please.

Post #250618th Apr 2005 9:20 pm
Ecosse

Gareth - sounds like a lucky break that the D3 is still there!!

Post #251218th Apr 2005 9:57 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Poor MINI though Sad

Main thing is that you're ok - presumably you were out at the time?

Martin

Post #251318th Apr 2005 10:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Very lucky for the Disco - My wife is inconsolable about the Mini though, I have offered a reward in the local press for its safe return.

We were asleep upstairs, and did not hear a thing, despite them having to push my LWB S2a down the drive and crashing into the house to make way for the Mini to be stolen.

We are very shaken up.

Post #251518th Apr 2005 10:13 pm
Wineman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That's really tuff Gareth! Sorry to hear about that mate! All the stolen goods are replacable, what matters is that you and your family are safe. Must have been bloody scary to think of people walking around your house though.
 2017 Disco5 First Edition(On Order)
2013 Disco4 HSE Luxury
2012 Disco4 HSE
2005 Disco03 TDV6 HSE
2002 Disco02 TD5 ES
1987 Defender 90(MOD)
2002 Fendt 180 Tractor
1950 Massey Ferguson Tractor 

Post #252519th Apr 2005 8:06 am
jzk

United States 

Wow that is strange. I occasionally leave my parking brake on when I am on the trailer, and I forget. I apply the gas and after a bit it goes off and the truck lurches forward. I am glad that the jerks didn't just try more gas.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #253719th Apr 2005 12:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Gareth,

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

I hope the police catch the thiefing scum Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I must admit that this has happened to quite a lot of people I know and I actually sleep with my car keys and have done for quite a while.

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #254019th Apr 2005 1:04 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear about that , glad your OK and youve still got your D3. from what ive read it seems to be the method of choice to nick a modern well secured car. Apparently the police said they take the car to a services and leave it for a couple of days to see if its got tracker or similar. The guy I am sat next at this moment has a BMW 330ci and at 1am he was boxed in on the motorway (M6) and they tried to force him off the road. He got away and the police said it was getting more and more common

Post #254819th Apr 2005 2:46 pm
BN

England 

Gareth, just heard, hope you and your family are OK. I know of a dealer who lost 3 D3's from his compound last week and a friend lost 10 110's. One of my 110's was picked up by 8 travellers and lifted over my wall about 18 months ago even with cameras on site, called the police and got an answer phone. I now fit 'CATE' a device that if they steal or highjack the car, I can give them the keys and when they are away from me I can switch the car off and override the key. I can then lock them in and fill the car with smoke, flash the headlights or sound the horn if I wish plus of course locate the vehicle from my home PC. Finally I can call the car and listen to the occupants or speak to them, plus more. It was designed by a South African friend of mine. I do not like theives Evil or Very Mad Just fitted a system today ironically enough to a Land Rover experience instructors 110. 8)

Post #255019th Apr 2005 3:15 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

It makes me feel old when I find myself saying “what is the world coming to”, but sadly these kinds of crime are becoming more and more prevalent in the UK. Whilst there are measures you can take depending on your attitude and how far you want to go, the criminal will always try to find a way round it, and you always need to think of the consequences. For example, modern cars can be very difficult to steal unless you have they keys – so criminals now attack people or break into their properties to get their keys. Although things haven’t got quite as bad in the UK (yet), there are more extreme examples in Africa – in North Africa where Tracker systems are fairly common and tracking companies also offer their own “aggressive” recovery teams, criminals will often also kidnap the driver and dump him in the middle of nowhere so by the time he is able to get to a phone to report the car stolen it can be out of the country. In South Africa, where a number of radical anti-hijacking devices have been marketed, the criminal response has been just to kill the driver first to prevent him activating any device.

Gloomy, huh? Sad

Post #255719th Apr 2005 4:09 pm
DiscoMad

BN - what price ballpark for autocate ?

Post #256119th Apr 2005 4:23 pm
BN

England 

If you call Malcolm Reardon on 08456024276 he will supply the info. What I can say it is far less than Tracker and you do not have a yearly fee. Because the D3 has a Thatcham alarm it could be integrated into the system. You also do not have to rely on the police and an answer phone. You are in control. I trialed my 110's with the police and the only thing they were upset about, was that we could apply the brakes, which they thought was dangerous, so we had to remove that function. Didn't stop us setting the auto lock on the doors to lock them in though. Whilst in the act of crime, tell them they are arrested and lock the doors. He also manufactures a system that the police, ambulance and fire brigade use, a module that lets you leave the engine running and if anyone who is unauthorised tries to drive off, the vehicle stops, even with the key in. For a little extra, he can fit a smoke device that fills the car with smoke. None damaging and food safe.

Post #256319th Apr 2005 5:37 pm
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

BN this certainly sounds great, however in lieu of more violent can your contact also supply the option that electrocutes the scum who'se trying to nick your D3.

So it's illegal, if you severely stun/electrocute the scumbag, but hey, if you know where the vehicel is, after you've shocked them and they're shocked, dazed and confused surely all that you need to do is open the door, let the scumbag fall out (on to the toe of your boot as you get in!) and then just drive off.

The police and the namby-pamby state are too quick to help these scumbags, rather than the victims. Some do good'er will come up that "society has done them a wrong", when really all these people are scummy lowlifes who want to nick your car so that they get their fix of drugs. Less of the methadone and beat them in public.

Funny in the small, quiet and sleepy little village where I live, we have no violence, we wont put up with it!!! Too many people in my farming community have guns, and are all built like brick-sh*thouses!! Cross them and they will have no reservations in calling for a few mates who will quite happlily take the offending persons into a field and remind them how to behave!!!

Smile by happy Smile

Post #256719th Apr 2005 9:10 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the thoughts chaps. All the local press have been around today, and will run the story tomorrow and later in the week.

I feel that its all I can do to get publicity, and maybe get somebody to notice the car if it has been left somewhere. The police can only do so much. In reality though, I feel that some gang have been watching us, as we have (had) two very desireable cars on the drive, and they were just waiting their chance. The poor Mini is probably already in a container in bits on its way to the far east.

Very sad, but life goes on.

Post #257219th Apr 2005 9:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >