DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
irishrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Well people,

Was contemplating on buying a set of 18" scorpions next time i need a change but having spoke with a work mate who does alot of on-road driving with his D3 and he said he only got 18-20k out of his last set and that was well worn.

Any body on here any experience with Pirelli Scorpion ATR's??? Thinking they mite be a harder compound, mite give them a try. Currently on my second set of wranglers with 51k km's on the clock, good all round performer but when the going gets a tough, the Disco gets a stuck!

any comments welcome!
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial (Java Black) with:

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #3540863rd Oct 2008 3:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Question , you do a lot of site work/travel don't ye ? Do you have any other rims other than the 18's ?

Post #3541223rd Oct 2008 4:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
irishrover

well DW,

Doin about 1000km's a week at present and doing close to 60-70km's a day of on-site/off road drivin but have the standard 5 spoke 18" rims on.. alot of our job now has solid ground but the tyres are taking a beating from the loose stone and when i encounter wet area's (as we often do in ireland), the thread is easily filled on the wranglers and f Censored k all grip!! Here comes the Komatsu Dozer to pull me out, again...

in another month the whole job will have good solid ground but looking at perhaps a tougher compound tyre to deal with the loose stone and give me better grip when i do need it?

think that's all, but said id explain my situation to give any one a chance to give there opinion!!

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #3541473rd Oct 2008 5:11 pm
Wex

Well I'll only recommend the tyres I've used but I've never had 18 " rims either.

I do the same distances as you every week , at a minimum and the same terrain ( in roughly the same business Wink )

So the best I've found so far for daily use are the Goodyear Wrangler MTR in 19 ".I dont know if they are available in 18 " Embarassed
If you do decide on MTR's ( if its possible) then DONT buy them here unless you can afford to pay over the odds.See Andy in AJS Tyres ( sponsor) and he will supply them and ship them to you cheaper way cheaper than what you will pay over here.
A loy here have good things to say about the General Grabber AT2 in 18 " and seem to prefer them to BFGoodrich AT's

For serious mudpluggin I use Maxxis Bighorn MT 762 265/70/17.

God luck and if I can be of any help , just shout Thumbs Up

Post #3541593rd Oct 2008 5:21 pm
Wex

forgot , I agree with you on the Scorps , they're way too soft.

I've done 20 k in the mtrs and they are hardly showing any wear yet.

Post #3541623rd Oct 2008 5:22 pm
flinty99

England 

Just replaced my Scorpion 18" with AT2's from AJS Thumbs Up

Quick delivery, good price, friendly service, what more can you ask for. Hmmm, Sounds like I'm leaving eBay feedback now Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #3542003rd Oct 2008 5:43 pm
Wex

Rover ,

If I remember right you're working in Carlow ( on the bypass) or am I getting you confused with someone else Question

If I'm not then I'll gladly meet you any evening and give you a spin in mine with the MTR's.

Post #3542053rd Oct 2008 5:51 pm
irishrover

yeah that right, carlow bypass!

cheers for that DW. Now what ever about the tyres, must get the Disco back to a dealer. The EPB was doing some desperate screeching the weekend and coming up as park brake fault so must get that seen to.

Cheers.
Thumbs Up
Ian

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #3557086th Oct 2008 8:31 am
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just got to 22,000 miles and the Scorpions are down to the wear bars

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #3557936th Oct 2008 1:41 pm
Wex

No bother Rover Thumbs Up When's tha Castledermot bypass going to finish Question Whistle

Post #3557976th Oct 2008 1:59 pm
Wex

is that you parked below the Priory Restaraunt at the mo ?

Post #3558806th Oct 2008 5:39 pm
WaznotWas

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

For wear and general all round use with some medium offroad I'd go with the AT2's every time.

Andy did me a set for my 300 TDI Disco and they are wonderful, harder compound that the scorps, way more milage and ended up using them all year keeping my UHP's for best, also on 16". Mr. Green

Trying to get a set of 18's for my D3 so I can fit them on it too having sold the kids to buy 1 Scorp for my 19"s which was down to the wire after 24,000 miles.... Now only got a bald spare Big Cry Big Cry
 FORECAST FOR TONIGHT: things have happened out there!!!
The countryside is still OURS!!
Club 3 Musketeers, Club D3C, Club Midland CB, Club Vertex PMR, Club GNVP Sump Plate, Club GNVP Sliders, Club Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector, Club Smooth Steering Wheel, Club McStuckie
07 HSE Z Silver, black leather, Black RRS badges,
19" anthracite wheels - off, 18" Silver / General AT2's - on,
300 TDI Disco 1 - Sheltering the lawn! 

Post #3558856th Oct 2008 5:59 pm
irishrover

Discowex wrote:
No bother Rover Thumbs Up When's tha Castledermot bypass going to finish Question Whistle

Castledermot to Kilcullen will be open july/august 2010 including new Athy Link road.

Wasnt me you saw DW, although we have about 7 Disco 3's here at the moment so could have been any one of number of lads from here. Thumbs Up

I see your point "wasnotwas", one of lads i work with is running 18" AT-2's on his, seems like he's had them an age and his would see more abuse than mine.. Shocked

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #3559036th Oct 2008 6:28 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Just bought 5 x AT2s from AJS - <18 hours from phone call to delivery. Shocked

Done 200 miles and no sign of wear! Rolling Eyes

But seriously, I was worried about road noise and smoooothness of ride - NO worries now. There IS air noise from the treads at "speed", but they handle rumble strips more quietly Neutral and the car feels lighter and smaller to drive Sad . Cornering is as good as the Scorpions, mud-plugging better Mr. Green

A
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #3559116th Oct 2008 6:56 pm
Simong

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've run AT2's now for about 20k miles and there is still plenty of tread left. On road though they are no match for the Scorpions, particularly around corners.

As I don't off road that often, I will be returning to Scorpions when the AT2's wear out despite the fact that the Scorpions wear much quicker.

They last a lot longer, but handling is the price you pay especially in the wet.

Post #3562337th Oct 2008 1:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >