Pirelli Scorpion Zeros
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Skyeseaways

2015 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Pirelli Scorpion Zeros

Hi,
I am new to posting on the site.
Just had my first service on the Disco SE at 15,000 miles.
Horrified to find that all 4 tyres need replacing, worn out!!
I am an elder gentleman, not a boy racer!
Is this usual? I find it totally unacceptable and told the dealership so. Frank Ogg at Elgin.
They said they would phone Land Rover. Phoned me back this morning to say LR will do nothing and find it "acceptable".
Any comments would be very welcome.
Thanks. Crying or Very sad

Post #33742328th Aug 2008 12:51 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

When you say 'worn out', do you mean that the tyres were generally bald or that they were knackered due to the inside edge being on (or below) the legal limit?

If it is the first and assuming that the tyres have worn evenly, you might have to foot the bill.

If it is the latter, then you might have a case as it's a known issue.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #33743228th Aug 2008 1:04 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I am up to 20k and mine have worn out as well.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #33743728th Aug 2008 1:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The Scorpions are very grippy on the road & IMO make the D3 corner much better than you'd expect such a heavy vehicle to. Their grippyness is due to a relatively soft compound. When combined with the forces exerted by the weight & torque of the D3 they will wear out on average between 15-20k miles. (Cue tales of them lasting much longer)

Braking, accelerating & cornering cause the most wear.

Personally, for road use I really like the Scorpions & I'm happy to get this sort of mileage out of them. I'll be getting the Pirelli ATR's next though & I'd expect them to last a bit longer.

There are harder compound road, AT & MTR's available, which will last longer.

I'm used to powerful saloons that would get through a set of rear tyres in about 2-8k miles, fronts in 3-10k miles, depending on how I drove. Or a full set after one track day Very Happy So 15-20k miles seems good to me.

If they have worn out due to the alignment (tracking) being out, then that's a different matter which I think should be covered by the warranty.

Post #33746128th Aug 2008 2:48 pm
al cope

England 

must say, after having 255/55x19 Wranglers on for 38k miles, then onto scorpions, the scorpions seem to be wearing much faster. Just coming up to 20k on the scorpions, dont think I'll get another 18k out of them.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #33748828th Aug 2008 4:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Scorpions are also prone to punctures more than the Wrangler in my experience. Had three since the end of January Shocked And offer no more grip on the road than the harder wearing Wrangler.

Also not as good off road either.

If I ever get to the stage that I wear my tyres down, I'd be looking at the AT2's or Wrangler HP's again.

Post #33748928th Aug 2008 4:49 pm
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine too needed replacing at the first service but due to the the inside edges of the fronts wearing out. I managed to hang it out to 18.5k when the back had worn out ( they were even).
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #33749028th Aug 2008 4:53 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I find the Goodyear Wranglers to be less "grippy" than the Pirelli's. Hence why they wear better, as they have a harder compound. Also found the Wranglers to be noiser, particularly when part worn.

I never really tested the Wranglers properly off-road. But I've twice driven a D3 at LRE Eastnor on Pirelli Scorpion tyres & was amazed at where the D3 could go on these tyres. I think the truth is the D3 is just so very competent off-road, regardless.

There's plenty of threads here to look at regarding tyre life etc. Iirc, Michelin's wear quite well.

It really comes down to personal preference & driving style. It's also interesting how a tyre can suit some vehicles & not others. I hated the set of Bridgestone SO3's that I had on my last HSV saloon, had to change them quickly. Yet they were good on a friends Subaru.

Post #33750228th Aug 2008 5:39 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

PaulP wrote:
If it is the latter, then you might have a case as it's a known issue.

++
I had the same; worn on the inside edge on all four by 16,000 miles total over 3 years. Paid for a 4 wheel track & alignment and submitted the readings with a report done by Yeovil LR to LRCS. Result was an offer to pay for 2 of the 4 replacement tyres. Credit to Yeovil LR for their excellent assistance and LRCS for the very acceptable resolution.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #33751128th Aug 2008 6:19 pm
Skyeseaways

2015 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Many thanks for all the comments and ideas. The wear is even across the tread, so I guess no tracking problems.
It must be down to the softer rubber compound.E-mailed Pirelli and they said to send them back ,when I have changed , to them for analysis. Question
The general concensus of ideas amongst the Inverness tyre suppliers seem to lean towards General Grabber AT2's. I do not go off road very often, but do huge mileages going shopping.
Any ideas what the GG's should do in the way of mileage?

Post #33751828th Aug 2008 6:39 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Because Scorpions seem quite soft, the milage you can achieve appears to be unusually susceptible to be how hard you push them and on what sort of roads, even assuming the tracking and allignment is all OK.

I've been lucky with very even wear across the width of each tyre but my first set only lasted around 18k. The ones that replaced those have just been changed after another 28k! (and they probably had another couple of k left before being totally illegal). The only difference is that the second set were used at speed on the motorway for the vast majority of time. This alone has added 10k to the mileage achieved compared to a set used a little off road but mainly slowly in town. I think Scorpions are an amazingly capable tyre when you look at the weight of the vehicle, what terrain they'll cope with and the quietness cruising at speed on a motorway all day.

Thumbs Up

(I still want a set of MTR's to play with though)
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #33752228th Aug 2008 6:53 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Shocked

Problem solved - just buy these http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic24523.html?highlight=
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #33752528th Aug 2008 7:14 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ahhh but you won't split them Whistle

Post #33767528th Aug 2008 11:56 pm
Snowy

England 

Skyeseaways, I run on AT2s and have covered nearly 15K miles and still have 9mm of tread. So would expect them to last atleast to 30K, probably more. They aren't as good on fuel economy compared to the Scorpions, I had a 1 or 2 mpg drop, which isn't that bad to be honest. I think NoDo$h did some calculations and they cost in, with the drop in fuel consumption over the extended life and price of tyre....

Confused Where is NoDo$h, haven't heard from him in a while, although I haven't been on much lately Whistle
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet.  
Post #33767729th Aug 2008 12:07 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Snowy wrote:

Confused Where is NoDo$h, haven't heard from him in a while, although I haven't been on much lately Whistle

I was wondering that, I was guessing he was on holiday.

Post #33772029th Aug 2008 8:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >