Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Play on the front wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Play on the front wheels

Mounted my AT2's the other week...but got some sligth wobble on the steeringwheel...
So my first tought was...balancing the wheels and tires would solve the problem.
Today I went to a friends garage to balance the front wheels....but while mounting back the wheels we noticed play on the wheels...

So you lift the car that you get one wheel of the ground....then you grab it left and right and try to turn the wheel in a steering direction (horizontal)...then we feel a play...knock knock knock....(few millimeters)
This doen not happen when you grab the wheel verticaly. So I think its not a bearing ar something like that.

I already went in during my waranty for three times cause there was a KNOCK in my steering.....Stealer changed a lot of things, bushings, colum, etc....and they say they can not solve this more then it is right now....

OK guys....this knocking.....is this normal....???
Right side is so abvious that this is unbelieveble to be correct....more play then on the left side.

I am all Big Cry
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #51352031st Aug 2009 11:13 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Lower control arm bushes?
Ball joints?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #51355631st Aug 2009 1:06 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Could be the steering rack. There is a little play allowed apparently.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #51356031st Aug 2009 1:16 pm
disco_doozle

Andrew,

I know there is a little play allowed on the steering rack....but I can not believe that this is normal....and the play is different from each side...

I will ga back to the dealer and ask them some explanation
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #51356531st Aug 2009 1:32 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Tie rod ends.

Post #51360131st Aug 2009 4:13 pm
Quagmire

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Dear disco_doozle (must change my name!!)

I had the same thing before my MOT/service. I jacked up the front to check for play etc and noticed what I thought was a lot of movement in the wheels when i moved them horizontaly. Sad On further investigation I noticed the movement was in the steering arms in the rack. I mentioned this to the independent garage and they said that it is perfectly normal on D3's. The car passed it's MOT without any problems.

So maybe it' not too much of a worry about!? Very Happy
 Giggity - Giggity  
Post #51379131st Aug 2009 10:49 pm
disco_doozle

Hi Andrewb,

Well, if you have the same on yours...do you feel a dry metal knock eachtime you drive sideways onto a curb or does your steeringweel tend to knock when offroading...
While on gravelroads, and you hold the steeringwheel firm...you feel there is something moving underneath...tok tok toketok tok tok......(you don't hear it but you feel it)
Very enoying....my D1 feels and handles better offroad then my D3.... Big Cry

Do you have this also.... Question

thx
Post #5138451st Sep 2009 8:22 am
Quagmire

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi

I do feel a slight knock on turns, but it doesn't bother me too much although it is anoying!

I'm more afraid of investigating it further and finding out big problems with big bills Sad

Like everyone else on here....... the `aint perfect, but boy are they great! Thumbs Up
 Giggity - Giggity  
Post #5142671st Sep 2009 11:28 pm
disco_doozle

Don't agree with that...

Driving a '98 D1 offraod feeling better then a '06 D3....Something is wrong here...

Land Rover has to solve this issue. I won't accecpt a car with such pirce-tag to be called "they `aint perfect, but boy are they great"

I wont my D3 to feel firm and reliable when greenlaning....
Post #5143182nd Sep 2009 9:25 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

andrewb wrote:
Hi

I'm more afraid of investigating it further and finding out big problems with big bills Sad

If you don't iveatigate the bill could be bigger. Shocked Some of th D3s parts are quite cheap.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5143502nd Sep 2009 10:38 am
dominic

Belgium 

hoi disco_doozle,

Is your problem solved yet ?
drived by your house this morning , was there an garage selling ?
greetings

Post #5155104th Sep 2009 5:34 pm
disco_doozle

No, problem not yet solved...
Have to go to the dealer on monday with the D1 and then I will discuss this issue.

Tsss garage sale, thats the neighbour, crazy b Censored d ....he does a garage sale all year long.
Nasty little Censored that one, wish he moved. Not funny having a "second hand dump store" beside your door...

Dominic, you come often in Bree? Drop in for a coffee Thumbs Up
Ow bummer, English forum....drop in for Tea Mr. Green
Post #5155354th Sep 2009 6:23 pm
dominic

Belgium 

I thought it was you, sorry.
I come 2 or 3 times a week in bree, but no time for tea .
Are you going to peterborough next weekend ?
I am , maybe we can drive together if you go too?
see you.

Post #5156084th Sep 2009 9:31 pm
disco_doozle

Wish I had the time...sorry M8 Big Cry

Maybe an other time we'll do Thumbs Up

PM me: what do you drive? Any Gadgets? Colour etc. Wink
Post #5158115th Sep 2009 12:25 pm
dominic

Belgium 

no prob.
Mine is a black se 07, 7 seat, no gadges but I got a second hand space wheel carrier today at the same place where you got your performance wheels.
I hope I can find some stuff next wk in peter...
My list is very long: roofrack , sidesteps enz...
greetings

Post #5158965th Sep 2009 5:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >