Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

potential caravan change advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
dunton10

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for all the replies.
As you say I really like the space and layout on the Lunar but in the back of my mind is a nagging doubt.
Russell -thanks for the input.
Corn beef - I know what you mean. The lunar uses old school construction which means wall boards with seam tape. On my present coachman one of the faults is that all the seam tape needed replacing as it peeled at edges and wouldn’t stick back. Just unsightly and replaced when they had the van back to the factory to repair the damp leak.
I think I’m going for the elegance 650 if the part ex price stacks up.
Considered the 645 but the elegance is a couple of inches narrow than the coachman and I think it will be tight around the end of the bed. Had a centre washroom before in the crusader and liked it.
Everything’s a compromise.
 Currently 2015 D4 SE Tech, Corris Grey
RLD Protector, led interior lights, timed climate, towing equipment
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #193013625th Mar 2018 4:07 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

The 645 is narrow round the bottom of the bed, but the bed does push up in the day leaving plenty of room
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #193014325th Mar 2018 4:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dunton10

I’m going over to look at a 2017 elegance 650 tomorrow at Couplands Caravans Louth.
Russell - you towed an elegance with a disco 4 I think, assuming I buy, will I need one of those Sargent boxes to get the led road lights to work and for the disco to recognise I’ve got a caravan attached? My vehicles is a 64 plate disco 2015 model year.
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #193045226th Mar 2018 4:21 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Like your good self I have been caravanning a long time and I own a vip 560/4 coachman purchased in 2015 the best caravan I’ve owned previously I purchased a sterling Eccles ruby part of the swift group 5 years of stress and hell I could go on but never again would I buy anything made by swift , Bailey have also slipped as well so the coachman as had a minor issue but the quality and layout is great for us did look at the island bed but to much storage loss , Good luck

Post #193052026th Mar 2018 7:07 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

dunton10 wrote:
I’m going over to look at a 2017 elegance 650 tomorrow at Couplands Caravans Louth.
Russell - you towed an elegance with a disco 4 I think, assuming I buy, will I need one of those Sargent boxes to get the led road lights to work and for the disco to recognise I’ve got a caravan attached? My vehicles is a 64 plate disco 2015 model year.

I have a 2016 Swift and needed a Sargent Box. If its got LED lights youll need one of the boxes Thumbs Up
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #193054426th Mar 2018 8:09 pm
peter.green

United Kingdom 

Personally I wouldn't touch a new uk built mass produced van with a 20' barge pole made that mistake 10 years a go with a brand new Baily what a pile of Censored. Sold it at 14 months old bought a what is now a 15 year old Vanmaster never let me down or gave me problems and look's like it's brand new unlike most vans that are knackered after 5 or so years .
 Land Rovers don't leak they just mark there spot
1973 Land Rover Series 3 110 safari Gone but not forgotten
1990 Discovery 200Tdi Gone thank god
1996 Discovery 300Tdi sadly missed (still going strong but not with me)
2003 Discovery TD5 Gone to LR heaven
2004 Discovery TD5 Gone to Aberdeen hope it likes it there
2005 RRS HSE Rimini Red (my Disco 3 in a posh frock)
Think I see a pattern here 

Post #193055126th Mar 2018 8:17 pm
pko

England 

I have a2018 swift elegance, fitted with the new Swift Command system for controlling everything from your phone. Bit of a gimmick, but check out Swiftalk, & search "command" & "alarms". both have been a constant problem on 2017 /18 vans.
 never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

current motor RRsport hse

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #193067227th Mar 2018 11:07 am
dunton10

Thanks chaps.

I think i must have got a Friday coachman then because I've had more trouble with numerous items than I did with my last caravan which I had for 8 years, AND that was an Elldis!! Perhaps its just the later ones that are not built as well as they used to. Trading on their past reputation perhaps. First impressions were that it was well put together, tidy and built with quality materials. it just didn't perform.

Anyway I'm going to give the Elegance a go. Deposit paid. I think the layout will suit us better and it will be nice to get back to a bit of twin axle space. Hope I dont regret it. I know i'll still have bits to tighten and replace but lets hope its at least dry.

Re swift command and alarms - cant see me using swift command and alarms have always been a constant source of problems for me on whatever van Ive had, causing battery drain and false alarms. I don't know why they fit them. I stopped using them years ago.

Can I clarify a couple of points with existing elegance owners please.

the caravan I looked at has a twin wheel mover fitted. because of this the mud flaps have been removed which looking at things seems reasonable. but where is the spare located. Ive looked at two vans 1 was in the front locker although not very secure and one was under the bed. Can an under slung wheel carrier be fitted when you have a twin mover?

Ditto the jacking points were removed and in the front locker. Salesman said this was due to the twin mover being fitted . is this correct? if so I'll have to check how best to jack in case of need. Ive got a Kojak so when I get it Ill see if those jacking points fit and are accessible.

secondly, does the elegance have a water filter system/cartridge. The coachman had an Ultraflow cartridge just above the pump connector. no sign of this on the swift.

PS thanks for the heads up re the Sargent box. I checked and they said they have them in stock in case I need one when I pick up the van in a fortnight.

Fingers crossed.
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #193078927th Mar 2018 5:33 pm
Cornbeef

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

We ordered a new 645 Elegance from the caravan show last year which is due for delivery in April. At the last show we saw that the spare wheel was under the bed although I have seen them in the under slung cradle so I asked our salesman.

Even though the Swift website states that the Alko carrier is on the Elegance "subject to model" our salesman told us that it would be a dealer fit extra. (About £160). We too are also having a four wheel motor mover and the cradle can be moved backwards quite easily with an additional bracket, the chassis is supposedly pre drilled for this. I have queried this and am awaiting a reply.

As for jacking points I was advised to get a decent bottle jack as the jacking points cannot be accessed once the movers are in place.

As for the water filter we will have one fitted on the 2018 model above the external water pick up point.

The dealers will connect an LED light test rig and tell you if you need VLM module. Ours is a D3 and defiantly needs one.

Hope this helps. Thumbs Up

Post #193081027th Mar 2018 5:55 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

dunton10 wrote:

I needed a VLM box on the D4 and have left it in place with the D5 with no issues
The boxes are not expensive from memory £40 I have a spare one brand new never fitted it is a VLM 4 if it is of any use for a few beer tokens
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #193084727th Mar 2018 7:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dunton10

Well the deed is done and I’m now the owner of a 2017 Swift Elegance 650. Just 11 months old.
Picked it up last Thursday and stayed over in Lincolnshire to give it a shake down for three nights.
Pleased to say that everything worked as it should and the dealer had done a first class job of preparing it and sorting the few niggles out that I noticed when I first looked at it.
Even turned the door round for us to the bathroom so it opens the other way, into the bathroom now instead of the lounge area. A common request on the 650 layout.
Just for info I did need a Sargent vim box fitted because of the led road lights. They fitted this FOC when I picked it up.
Only thing I’ve noticed is how loud the water pump is when running. Probably because it’s a high pressure one and fitted inboard with the inboard tank.
Russell have you noticed this on your 645? Any suggestions on quietening it? Oh, and there are so many light switches and different combinations inc switching on/off via the control panel that the first night I think my neighbors thought it was a mobile disco.
I know you guys are keen on photos so here is one taken on the first tow home.

[img]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/11948/normal_CF3AD5F5-24F0-4CF7-B32E-E8D34D32A256.jpeg[/img
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #193719317th Apr 2018 7:13 am
dunton10

Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #193719617th Apr 2018 7:18 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Nice and welcome to the Swift club. As for water pump no not noticed it
D4 camera club 

Post #193739117th Apr 2018 2:48 pm
MorganD379

Wales 

Very nice, I have a 2012 swift fairway 565... I did notice the noise difference between the onboard pump Vs my last caravan where it was in the barrel.

However had it over four years now without any issues Thumbs Up

Post #193741917th Apr 2018 3:44 pm
dunton10

Well my present run of Ill fortune continues.
I bring the new caravan home to load it for a week away on Sunday. Haven’t used it yet, really looking forward to trying it out.
Neighbour decides to cut lawn. Stone on grass and lawnmower and you can guess the rest.
At least she came round and owned up.
On closer inspection it’s cracked the gel coat - this van has GRP sides.
It’s difficult to tell from the photo but the damage is about the size of a thumb nail.
I sent an email to local scratch fix guy who also repairs caravans. He’s quoted £375 which seems really expensive given the size of the damage.
I don’t think it will be waterproof now so I’ll have to do something.
Insurance excess is only £50 but I’ll lose no claims discount.
I thought about a sticker/ decal over the top but will that be waterproof, and it’s only a year old so I’ll probably get a couple of quotes. Any8ne tried a diy repair and if so how successful

Hardly seems worth the hassle of dragging it to a body repair shop though.
Any suggestions.?
Previously
2006 D3 S
2001 TD5
1996 Shogun LWB
1989 Range Rover TDVM 

Post #194446911th May 2018 8:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to: